Oceanic's HDTV Channel Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oceanic's HDTV Channel Question

I recently bought a Sylvania HDTV. However I tried to see if I could see any of Oceanic's HDTV channels in the clear (I disconnected the Digital cable box and connected the TV directly to the wall outlet). Unfortunately I was not able to. Did I do something wrong ?
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Oceanic's HDTV Channel Question

I could be wrong about this but in order to get the HDTV signals you can't use the standard coax cable connection. You either have to use the HDMI cable connection or the 3 wire video feed (plus 2 wire audio feed).

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      I could be wrong about this but in order to get the HDTV signals you can't use the standard coax cable connection. You either have to use the HDMI cable connection or the 3 wire video feed (plus 2 wire audio feed).
      In other words I'll have to upgrade to their HDTV service to get those channels. Which kind of sucks because my dad is the only one that can ask for the upgrade. I called up OTW this morning. The CSR told me that the primary account holder is the only one can request the upgrade (I'm listed on the account also).
      The Kona Blog

Comment

You should be able to get the local stations...

KHNL is on 83.3
        KHON is on 85.3
        KGMB is on 113.1
        KITV is on 114.2
        KHET is on 120.12

You may have to do a re-scan to get the stations or manually put in the numbers. It's called QAM, quadrature amplitude modulation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAM_tuner).

If you want more HD stations, you'll have to pay for them.

Comment

Originally posted by IslandBeef View Post
          You should be able to get the local stations...

KHNL is on 83.3
          KHON is on 85.3
          KGMB is on 113.1
          KITV is on 114.2
          KHET is on 120.12

You may have to do a re-scan to get the stations or manually put in the numbers. It's called QAM, quadrature amplitude modulation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAM_tuner).

If you want more HD stations, you'll have to pay for them.
          How can I put the 83.3 for example ? I can only put in 83 and not the dot 3 ? I did a auto scan it didn't pick up the channels ?
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Ok I figured it out. However I could only get KITV's HD TV signal in the clear.The others you mentioned are scrambled.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Try an autoscan and see what it finds. You should catch all of them fine (unless I typed the number in wrong or they moved the station).

Oceanic is not bound to give you HDTV for free, so they may move the QAM stations around depending on what they're doing in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                Ok I figured it out. However I could only get KITV's HD TV signal in the clear.The others you mentioned are scrambled.
                Is that 'cuz you live on the Big Island?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Is that 'cuz you live on the Big Island?
                  Shouldn't matter for cable, only OTA.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                    I recently bought a Sylvania HDTV. However I tried to see if I could see any of Oceanic's HDTV channels in the clear (I disconnected the Digital cable box and connected the TV directly to the wall outlet). Unfortunately I was not able to. Did I do something wrong ?
                    =======================
                    I notice that a low signal level can affect picking up qam channels.

Comment

Try an autoscan and see what it finds. You should catch all of them fine (unless I typed the number in wrong or they moved the station).

Oceanic is not bound to give you HDTV for free, so they may move the QAM stations around depending on what they're doing in the background.
                      I originally did an auto scan. It didn't pick up any of the in the clear HDTV channels. However when I typed in the channel numbers you mentioned I had better luck.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
                        =======================
                        I notice that a low signal level can affect picking up qam channels.
                        That shouldn't be an issue here. The cable outlet is the old one I had installed when I had Road Runner. It is direct line from the outside cable interface.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                          Well, we get HDTV OTA via a coax cable, so it's certainly possible. I doubt if any consumer electronics contains HDTV modulators, so your comment is valid for connecting consumer items (DVD Players, games, etc) to the TV set.

Shouldn't matter for cable, only OTA.
                          But is Big Island cable the same as Oahu cable? Even if it's the same company?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                            But is Big Island cable the same as Oahu cable? Even if it's the same company?
                            Oceanic Time Warner is the defacto cable tv operator statewide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable

# Hawaii Cluster (401,000 customers) (Operating as Oceanic Time Warner Cable) * Hawaii - Hawaii, Kauai, Lanai, Maui, Molokai, Oahu.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

I ended up upgrading to Oceanic's HD Entertainment Pak today. I cannot believe the clarity of the picture. However is there a way to remove the letter
                              box format ?
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X