TV Station & News Brandings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Station & News Brandings

I noticed that TV station and news branding varies among the many stations around the country.

Here's our current brands for our local TV stations (major networks only):

KHON
    Station Brand: KHON2; News Brand: KHON2 News; Slogan: Hawaii's News Channel

KITV
    Station Brand: KITV4 Island Television; News Brand: Island Television News; Slogan: Island Television

KGMB
    Station Brand: KGMB9; News Brand: KGMB9 News; Slogan: Hawaii's Severe Weather Station

KHNL
    Station Brand: KHNL NBC 8; News Brand: KHNL News 8; Slogan: Live, Local, Late Breaking

I know that stations change their branding/logo/slogan every once in a while, but what makes them want to change it? Does the change make it better for them and/or the viewers? For example, FOX2 becoming to KHON2. I just learned that KHON used to be called "Eyewitness News." and KGMB9 used to called their newscasts "Newsroom 9".

This also goes with station logos:
    Why do most or even all NBC stations in the country, like KHNL, have to show their NBC Peacock logo? KGMB doesn't show their CBS logo anymore. Or even KITV doesn't even have an ABC logo with their "4" logo. But some stations on the mainland do side by side logos with their respective network affiliation (i.e. FOX, ABC, CBS, etc).

Well, it's just a little something to talk and wonder about. And to even mention about the brandings, logos, and/or slogans of Hawaii TV stations in the past if you folks have any memory. Any favorites, likes, dislikes, thoughts, etc. I know some people might not care to talk about this, but it's something on my mind.

Re: TV Station & News Brandings

Typically it is consultant driven. Hey they gotta do something to justify their existance.. right? KHON circa 1978.. Eyewitness News (a common mainland brand).. Changed to The Channel Two News w/Joe Moore (circa 1981). Changed to current...in part because Channel 2 is actually channel 3 on cable and ratings diaries were getting confused accounting. Most folks would respond with blank stares if you said Channel 2..or..KHON..usually the light went on when you said Joe Moore's station. "Oh channel 3!" was not an usual response. KHNLnews8... actually broadcasts on 13.. KITV broadcasts on 4.. etc. So you can see the more "traditional" numbers game/marketing doesn't really work. (KFVE 5 broadcasts and cablecasts on 5.. but has "ghosting" problems in many areas because of dual signal invasion) Just wait until they switch to HD with a complete new set of numbers....

Comment

KHON Eyewitness News was Paul Udell and Joe Moore (1978-1981). I believe when Udell left for Chicago (WLS) in the spring of 1981 and Joe took over as lead anchor at KHON, they knocked KGMB from the number one spot after 15 years or so being the tops locally.

I'll post some more brand slogans later on.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post
        KGMB
        Station Brand: KGMB9; News Brand: KGMB9 News; Slogan: Hawaii's Severe Weather Station
        I don't get that slogan... especially right now, when the weather is so consistently sunny and dry.

Comment

Actually, in 1978, Eyewitness News on KHON was anchored by Barbara Tanabe and BJ Sams. Weekends were sometimes Ed Evans(typically) and/or Ray Lowell. Barbara and Paul co-anchored after BJ was let go. Then Paul left and the rest is history. 1st #1 for KHON was Sunday's at Six right after Let's Go Fishing. 1st #1 weekday was February '81 10pm (anchored by Paul) immediately following Hill Street Blues. By the May '81 ratings, Joe had become news anchor. After KHON picked up Wheel of Fortune, the 6pm hit #1.

Comment

Eyewitness News at one time was Paul Udell and Joe Moore, I just watched the promo for it, also have Bruce Carter promoting Eyewitness News coming up after "Let's Go Fishing" as you mention.

Moore came to KHON in 1978, and BJ Sams left in 1982, back to Arkansas. Just heard from both of them recently talking about those old days.

BJ Sams also did the 10pm news solo for awhile with Les Keiter doing sports.

Barbara Tanabe did weekends on KHON for many years during the 80's.

Ed Evans, wow whatever happened to him!

Aj

Comment

Ed went on to work for KIRO in the Seattle area and then later became a minister to my understanding. Pamela Flynn, Melanie Granfors, Tom McWilliams, Ed Michaelson...who knows. You are right, Joe started in late July of 78 as sports anchor. BJ may have stayed in the islands until 82 if thats what you mean but he was gone from KHON circa '79/80-ish when Paul started. The Shaka? Credit Paul with wanting to start something at the end of a newscast. Credit George Cabral Jr. for suggesting the Shaka.... Nice branding move (just trying to stay on topic ).

Comment

Melanie and I are in touch often, gosh I didnt realize we have had so many that became involved in the ministry. I'll try and get updates on the others you have mentioned for the other thread on former anchos and reporters, etc.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
                  I don't get that slogan... especially right now, when the weather is so consistently sunny and dry.

I think the whole "severe weather station" thing is hillarious. At least it hasn't gotten as bad as on the mainland...

where some tv stations tout themselves with having "double doppler" radar LOL.

You'd think if you had "double doppler" radar it should come with a parental advisory before the weather segment.

Comment

I think also during the 1980's and part of the 1990's stations nationwide adopted sort of the network's theme for the year. We rarely see station promo's anymore like they were done years ago with the network's theme music at the time with local shots of the news team being silly or being serious working at the desk.

Just looked at one from last night, during the the 1995-96 season KGMB as well as CBS as I recall were known as "The Spirit of CBS". Terri Okita appeared on screen during this...

So you had KGMB9 SPIRIT logo at the bottom of the screen or during station ID breaks.

Aj

Comment

Doesn't anyone think making them tag their reports w/ 'KITV4 Island Television News' is pretty ridiculous? It's a friggn' mouthfull.
                      I want Ed on Blu-ray/DVD

Comment

KHON's EYEWITNESS NEWS goes way back to at least the late 60's, when Mason Altiery anchored for them and later with Don Picken and Bill Baist.

Aj

Comment

[quote=Kittrick;171709]I think the whole "severe weather station" thing is hillarious. At least it hasn't gotten as bad as on the mainland...

=================
                          hmmm, let's see..... 2006 saw 40 days and 40 nights of rain. Last week gets 13 power poles down on the leeward coast.... Lightning strikes bus....Schools closed for days.... Flash flooding on Maui... TV transmitters on Haleakala are still powerless after storm 4 days ago. If that ain't severe weather, what is?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                            I think also during the 1980's and part of the 1990's stations nationwide adopted sort of the network's theme for the year. We rarely see station promo's anymore like they were done years ago with the network's theme music at the time with local shots of the news team being silly or being serious working at the desk.

Just looked at one from last night, during the the 1995-96 season KGMB as well as CBS as I recall were known as "The Spirit of CBS". Terri Okita appeared on screen during this...

So you had KGMB9 SPIRIT logo at the bottom of the screen or during station ID breaks.

Aj
                            ============================
                            And here it is...
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIztyGyr1jQ

That Spirit campaign was terrible. Never could figure out what that was all about. I saw a mainland station with the same campaign...Spirit of Backwater Arkansas or something like that.

dave

Comment

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post
                              I just learned that KHON used to be called "Eyewitness News."
                              Originally posted by 808htfan View Post
                              Doesn't anyone think making them tag their reports w/ 'KITV4 Island Television News' is pretty ridiculous? It's a friggn' mouthfull.
                              I remember one night, several months before Tasha Kobashigawa left KITV, she was reporting about a murder in Kalihi. Tasha was live at the scene, and maybe it was nerves or maybe it was just the rediculousness of it all (KITV had just changed their slogan to “Island Television News”). But she signed off “Tasha Kobashigawa, Eyewitness News.” I remember thinking, “Is she getting ready to jump ship to a mainland station?”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X