Ron Mizutani Jumps Ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Mizutani Jumps Ship

Well, it didn’t take long for the anchor who put together the tearful farewell tribute to Leslie Wilcox, to hop off the sinking ship as well. With Tina Shelton also out, can Joe Moore single-handedly save the station with his staff of top talent running for the hills?

This should get interesting.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Ron Mizutani Jumps Ship

I personally never cared for Mizutani at the anchor desk. He always had that 'nervous energy' look, too fidgety at the desk. Plus he's hard to understand, his voice too low and soft. Tannya can carry the 5 o'clock news solo, or maybe Justin Cruz can work alongside her. They seem to have chemistry.

Comment

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
      I personally never cared for Mizutani at the anchor desk. He always had that 'nervous energy' look, too fidgety at the desk. Plus he's hard to understand, his voice too low and soft. Tannya can carry the 5 o'clock news solo, or maybe Justin Cruz can work alongside her. They seem to have chemistry.
      I don't have any comments towards his talents as an anchor or sports reporter, but what I think counts for something is he seems to be at least on television a very nice guy. I don't see a ton of ego coming out of his mouth and ears like I do from other anchors and to me this says alot. I will miss Ron, KHON is losing some good PEOPLE.

Aj

Comment

I've not met Ron personally but my most vivid memory has nothing to do with his tv gig and everything to do with Rell Sunn's memorial service at Makaha Beach. By the time I arrived Ron had the mic. I don't know if he was the mc for the entire service or was eulogizing her. Regardless, he seemed a most able speaker...then...his emotions kicked in. It became obvious he knew her well and loved her. He stood on the stage choked up to the point of being unable to continue. The family was sitting toward the back of the stage and 2 members looked at each other and, in unison, walked to either side of Ron and put their arms around him. Thru their strength he found his and was able to finish in spite of the tears that continued to stream down his face. I was so touched by what appeared to be a very broken heart.

Comment

Ron Mizutani has jumped ship again, leaving Hawaiian Telecom in the wake of massive layoffs that he apparently survived. I hope he finds his way back into the news business.

Comment

hi this is sansei and i hope ron find's another job outside of News is he wouldnt work well with Tannya and That Jai was his perfect replacement and that Jai and Tannya can work well together and i dislike ron not in the same way as NKT so I Thought to share my Thought's with everyone.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Oh, no. Not again.

How about you just give us a roll call of TV journalists you dislike one time, sansei? I don't want to revisit this in the future.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                Ron Mizutani has jumped ship again, leaving Hawaiian Telecom in the wake of massive layoffs that he apparently survived. I hope he finds his way back into the news business.
                I knew that was somewhat coming because I remember in Jai Cunningham's tribute to Ron (on his last day on KHON)... Joe Moore says he wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back where he belongs.... on Channel 2! But I don't know if he'll end up back on TV... we'll see where he goes from here.

Comment

remember back in the day when he and rell used to do the reporting on the molokai channel race? those were great moments: the sun in their hair and the wind blowing....

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  I've not met Ron personally but my most vivid memory has nothing to do with his tv gig and everything to do with Rell Sunn's memorial service at Makaha Beach. By the time I arrived Ron had the mic. I don't know if he was the mc for the entire service or was eulogizing her. Regardless, he seemed a most able speaker...then...his emotions kicked in. It became obvious he knew her well and loved her. He stood on the stage choked up to the point of being unable to continue. The family was sitting toward the back of the stage and 2 members looked at each other and, in unison, walked to either side of Ron and put their arms around him. Thru their strength he found his and was able to finish in spite of the tears that continued to stream down his face. I was so touched by what appeared to be a very broken heart.
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

The Pacific Business News picks up the news, but with scant details. A company spokesman who is clearly not Ron Mizutani cited only "personal reasons." This is also the summary of the explanation he led with in an e-mail he sent to all HiTel employees.

Comment

The Pacific Business News picks up the news, but with scant details.
                      And now the Advertiser has just put it on their website as "Breaking News".
                      They apparently 'forgot' to include that Ryan "broke" that news almost 24 hours earlier.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Great write-up from Erika Engle in this morning's The Buzz. She spoke with Ron Mizutani, Mike Ruley, and quoted from his farewell letter:

Another high-profile departure for Mizutani
                        His departure, news of which spread through Honolulu like so much Internet wildfire, led to speculation about whether he will return to television. "I miss the battles. I miss the story-telling more than I thought I would and I miss building relationships and just talking to people and making a difference to the community in that capacity," he said. He also misses "the guys and girls in the newsroom." However, he doesnt have anything lined up right now.

Comment

Great write-up from Erika Engle in this morning's The Buzz. She spoke with Ron Mizutani, Mike Ruley, and quoted from his farewell letter: Another high-profile departure for Mizutani
                          Ron's non-compete clause in his KHON contract is going to be a real problem for him. One that I hope he can solve easily, though it sounds like returning to KHON is his only option for now.
                          But I was more surprised to see that his resignation from Hawaiian TelCom was "effective immediately." Not even the traditional two weeks' notice. That's burning one helluva big bridge, and is a rather sharp indication that there was more to his resignation than meets the eye.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Fun to speculate . . . I'm wondering whether his non-compete would come into play if he were to go work with his former co-anchor at (noncommercial) PBS Hawaii?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              That's burning one helluva big bridge, and is a rather sharp indication that there was more to his resignation than meets the eye.
                              You mean besides abandoning the sinking ship that is HiTelcom?
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                              X