Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kailua people are afraid of Windward Mall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kailua people are afraid of Windward Mall?

Attempting to stay on thread, what really prompted this topic and discussion anyway? I'm a Kailua resident, and have always thought of Windward Mall as 'our' place. It's cool - and even cooler since the spectacular new food court opened.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
      It's cool - and even cooler since the spectacular new food court opened.
      Just like any mall, it seems to have gone through phases of success and downturn. Just a few years back, it seemed like half the place was empty, and now it appears busy and active again - the new food court could be a part of that.

Then again, Kimo, it could be that you and I are part of an (*ahem - if you'll excuse the term) "aging demographic," and our view of malls in general is tainted by growing up in a world where malls were first new. To some younger folks, malls have always been there, and can represent "old" in the same way we once viewed failing downtown business districts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
        what really prompted this topic and discussion anyway?
        Within the year I've made two new friends on the Windward side. Neither knows the other. One is in his 20s and lives in Kaneohe. The other in his 30s and lives in Kailua. Both level headed and reasonable folk.

Without me prompting, they both told me Kailua people have this fear of Kaneohe/Windward Mall, so I was curious to see what my fellow HT'ers thought, especially the Windward folks
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
          Within the year I've made two new friends on the Windward side. Neither knows the other. One is in his 20s and lives in Kaneohe. The other in his 30s and lives in Kailua. Both level headed and reasonable folk.

Without me prompting, they both told me Kailua people have this fear of Kaneohe/Windward Mall, so I was curious to see what my fellow HT'ers thought, especially the Windward folks
          Hmmmm. I just lost 3 pages of text, to the inconclusive "Word Crook" that harasses me at times. So I strive to reconnect.

Originally posted by joe

Windward Mall has been around for more than 20 years, I think. It has many stores in close approximation, and many who have critical connections or commodities. These stores are a benefit to our community. I can't imagine why the Kailua people would be averse (being polite) to0 using these venues, it only benefits them, and the sensitive providers to which they are connected.
          \
          If Kailua folk have a better venue for pet food and accessories, no need to mask it in fear. TELL IT LIKE IT IS! What is the problem??????
          We gotta work together!
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

I was at Windward Mall last night. Completely terrifying.
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Windward Mall has my all time favorite:

Yeah parking kind of sucks over there and it's way mo crowded than Kailua - but as long as I can get my cheese on a stick there, it's all g.

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                Some Kailuans still refer to that store as Holiday Mart.
                My Dad is from Honolulu. He only calls it Holiday Mart or "The store that used to be Holiday Mart."

Or "where Holdiday Mart was."

Comment

I used to go for the Taco Shop's fare, but they changed ownership and the delish fresh-cilantro tomatillo sauce became a yucky dried-oregano tomatillo sauce. Haven't visited in years since then.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Wow, it seems I haven't been here in YEARS! How's everybody?

Last time I went to Windward Mall, I got busted for using a video camera which I had just purchased at Radio Shack. What? Afraid I was collecting evidence?

Nah, the WW Mall peeps apologized after! Was all good!

A hui hou,

Blaine
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                      Wow, it seems I haven't been here in YEARS!
                      Well, ummm...you haven't! Just over two years, in fact. Hi, Mr. F. - congrats on the new employment. [/off-topic, but I don't care, cause it's Blaine I'm talkin' to!]

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post

That's mostly what I ever went in there for, the fish/zucc platter (not the cute chix...), and the food court. Gotta check out the referb'd court, after I get a pack of security hounds!
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Windward Mall never scared me. And I come from Dallas, where we have more malls than cattle these days. Seriously- there are 22 in the DFW metroplex, and a new one is being built as we sit here. But it didn't creep me out or make me afraid. I preferred Pearl Ridge, but the monorail was really annoying.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

The only thing people should be afraid of at Windward or any other malls are the always rising prices!

Comment

Ha, growing up on Maui, I don't remember thinking anywhere was sketchy or trouble best avoided. I was probably just a clueless kid, though.

Now, scary urban Oahu, sure...I was sure there was all kind bad news over there. Country boy or what?

Comment

Working...
                              X