This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Five-O 2.0 - Take Two!

The original 5-0 had a "CSI" character - He was Che Fong, played by Harry Endo. I hope they plan to cast this character too.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

YAY!!! Hawaii 5.0 began shooting on Monday!!!
      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I would love to see someone do a comedy spoof of HI 5-0 by using a Turn by Turn GPS nav system, announcing in some Tita voice his routes that allow him to travel ewa bound on the H1 freeway then magically finding himself in Waimanalo at the Makapuu lookout near the lighthouse.

TitaNav would give the directions in pidgen by saying, "try wait...I get one shortcut".
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
          The original 5-0 had a "CSI" character - He was Che Fong, played by Harry Endo. I hope they plan to cast this character too.
          If the new Hawaii 5-0 show hopes to be taken seriously in this day and age, it's absolutely necessary to have a character(s) who's an expert in forensics. If not Che Fong, then there needs to be another character who is trained in the latest investigative techniques.

In fact, that is one of the things that would be interesting to watch out for in the new show. The old show made the crime lab work a peripheral matter, as the plot mostly focused on the "action." (i.e. criminal activity, gun battles, car chases, etc.) This wasn't surprising, since the producers were astute enough to recognize that Hawaii's outdoor scenery was what made the program appealing to millions of people who otherwise might have changed the channel on yet another "cop show." But with the success of the CSI franchise, will there be an added emphasis on forensics work that you didn't see on the original show?
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

If that show focused on forensics then it should simply be called CSIHawaii like all the other CSI shows on TV. What made Magnum P.I. a long running Hawaii-based TV drama was the focus on Tom Selleck, just like how Hawaii 5-O was focused on Jack Lord.

I say we hire Higa-Niga to do the show and make it a comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              If that show focused on forensics then it should simply be called CSIHawaii like all the other CSI shows on TV.
              I didn't say that forensics should be the main focus of the new H50. All I said was that a greater emphasis would probably be placed on it, compared to what the 1968-80 series did.

I don't know how closely you've been paying attention to what's been going on, but cop shows have changed a lot since the time when Quinn Martin and Stephen J. Cannell were the dominant producers on primetime TV. OTA networks/syndicators can't match movies or the cable outlets when it comes to graphic violence. This is why the OTA networks have moved away from Starsky & Hutch/Mannix-type "action" shows to programs that appeal more to the intellect. The CSI and Law & Order franchises set the standard in having scripts that were more carefully crafted, with developing story arcs and better-defined supporting characters compared to the typical episodic cop drama from the 1960s-'70s era.

As I said, a Hawaii 5-0 show shot on location here has a special advantage that other TV dramas don't, with the beautiful scenery. But it would be a mistake to emulate the exact same formula that Leonard Freeman and his writers used to great success 40 years ago. A generation of TV viewers who have been desensitized with all the stuff that they've seen in R-rated movies and HBO will very quickly be bored with a modern-day H50 show that relies too much on "shoot 'em up/fist fight/car chase" action that appears diluted and tame in comparison to what can readily be seen on DVD and cable.

Alas, times have changed. Prepare to see more in the way of CSI and overarching plots that delve into the personal lives of all the Five-0 officers, not just McGarrett's.

What made Magnum P.I. a long running Hawaii-based TV drama was the focus on Tom Selleck, just like how Hawaii 5-O was focused on Jack Lord.
              I think women (and a few men who were so inclined) were the ones that watched Magnum P.I. every week to ogle at Tom Selleck. The majority of males watched Magnum to admire the girls in the bikinis and Robin Master's Ferrari.
              Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 12, 2010, 03:27 PM.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

and it worked. Hawaii 5-0 needs to be reinvented and not copied over so whatever form it takes it has to be original for it to succeed. At one point Hawaii 5-0 almost took on a surreal storyline with some of it's plots with evil villians like Wo Fat resembling some kind of James Bond adversary.

Comment

TitaNav would give the directions in pidgen by saying, "try wait...I get one shortcut".
                  Who's going to do the voice, Chrysler Akana or Sweety Camarro?

I say we hire Higa-Niga to do the show and make it a comedy.
                  Can you say the N-word on tv?

Comment

One of the most identifiable things about "Hawaii Five-0" is the theme song by Morton Stevens. Will the new show use a completely different theme song or do an update of the old classic?
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      One of the most identifiable things about "Hawaii Five-0" is the theme song by Morton Stevens. Will the new show use a completely different theme song or do an update of the old classic?
                      I think I read in the 'tiser that they'd be using a version of the original theme.
                      No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryPrice View Post
                        I think I read in the 'tiser that they'd be using a version of the original theme.
                        Then, June Jones will hire a composer to change the theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                          Who's going to do the voice, Chrysler Akana or Sweety Camarro?

Can you say the N-word on tv?
                          Who is Sweety Camarro?

Comment

The "play" is on Crystal Akana and Sweetie Pacarro (Perry and Price right-hand person).

Comment

Who is Sweety Camarro?
                              Chevy's answer to "Mustang Sally."
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                                The "play" is on Crystal Akana and Sweetie Pacarro (Perry and Price right-hand person).
                                I was wondering if there was a reference to Pacarro. Not too may Sweeties out there

Comment

Working...
                                X