Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
    Maybe Erika can elaborate, but what was meant by KGMB and KFVE "swapping call letters?" Is actual control (or ownership) of KGMB and KFVE being changed? The press release is confusing, because it states that after the call letters are swapped, dial positions will remain the same.
    Here's my understanding of the situation (which could be completely wrong!):

Currently, MCG owns KGMB. Raycom owns KHNL/KFVE. After the shakeout, MCG will own KFVE, and Raycom will own KHNL/KGMB. All three stations will continue to operate much as they do now, with the same network affiliations and programming, except for news. Raycom will run the news opearations for all three channels. Just as KHNL and KFVE currently use one news operation originating at KHNL's studio, the new setup will have a combined KHNL/KGMB news operation, again originating from KHNL's new studio, providing the news for all three stations, most likely simulcast on all three (KFVE could still run news at oddball timeslots like it does now, but that could change too).

That's my understanding based on everything I've read and heard so far. I have no inside info whatsoever. Take it with a grain of salt and use at your own risk!
    No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Looks like the call letters between KFVE and KGMB will be swapped along with the programming from each channel.

KGMB will move to Channel 5 with the news and CBS programs.

KFVE will move to Channel 9 with MyNetwork TV and UH Sports.

I don't like it.

Erika Engle writes about it this morning.

Execs explain TV swap, but some see it as blurry

The impending swap of call letters and programming between KGMB-TV and KFVE-TV is described as a way to provide a seamless transition for viewers.

Skeptics, media watchdogs and at least one attorney versed in Federal Communications Commission regulations see a different picture.
      Seamless? I think seamless will be to leave all programming as is with the same channels we have known for years.

I think it is appalling to move KGMB's call letters and programs to Channel 5.

This will create problems for OTA viewers as I think Channel 5's current digital penetration is not as great as Channel 9. Especially on the neighbor islands.

Is CBS programming and the Channel 9 News worth sacrificing for UH Sports and MyNetwork TV? Remember not all of the UH Sports are shown for free. The best events (like nearly all the football games) are PPV!

So neighhbor island OTA viewers, what is your reception currently like for KFVE and KGMB the way it is presently set up?

Edit: More on the change at this Honolulu Advertiser article:

KGMB says financial losses prompted consolidation deal

So it seems KGMB is the station that was losing money.

The more I think of it, the more this deal is in Raycom's favor as they will get direct ownership of a CBS affiliate through the swap of call letters and programming.

In the end Raycom will control stations with NBC and CBS content while the other owner gets the crumbs, which they don't seem to mind.
      Last edited by mel; August 20, 2009, 06:33 AM.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
        Looks like the call letters between KFVE and KGMB will be swapped along with the programming from each channel.

KGMB will move to Channel 5 with the news and CBS programs.

KFVE will move to Channel 9 with MyNetwork TV and UH Sports.

I don't like it.

Erika Engle writes about it this morning.

Execs explain TV swap, but some see it as blurry

Seamless? I think seamless will be to leave all programming as is with the same channels we have known for years.

I think it is appalling to move KGMB's call letters and programs to Channel 5.

This will create problems for OTA viewers as I think Channel 5's current digital penetration is not as great as Channel 9. Especially on the neighbor islands.

Is CBS programming and the Channel 9 News worth sacrificing for UH Sports and MyNetwork TV? Remember not all of the UH Sports are shown for free. The best events (like nearly all the football games) are PPV!

So neighhbor island OTA viewers, what is your reception currently like for KFVE and KGMB the way it is presently set up?
        There is still lots to this story that is unknown, whether it's still to be decided or release to the general public.

But I'll make some guesses as to the some of the questions:

Essentially, KGMB's "intellectual property" is being transfered to Raycom, ditto with KFVE to MGC...who basically becomes a silent owner allowing Raycom to run KFVE as well.

As far as KGMV and KGMD, they are satellite stations and thus can continue to broadcast KGMB's signal on the Neighbor Islands, none of the Honolulu stations Ad-sub on the outer islands so it's a zero-sum game(although why they don't is an interesting question).

KGMB, KFVE and KHNL will all share the same tower on Palehua Ridge, when completed all three will have new transmitters with power increases so it's to early to tell what the OTA effect on Oahu will be. The move of KGMB's transmitter has been in the works for almost a year, so merger or not it was going to happen. KHET also will increase it's power at it's transmitter at Palehua as well.
        Side note: KHET's problems on Oahu are part of a national issue that DTV stations that broadcast on a VHF frequency are having. The FCC at this point is allowing VHF stations to increase power, but it doesn't seem to be working and there are rumblings that the FCC may have all stations vacate VHF and have all stations broadcast on UHF.

This also affects KHON, which uses KGMB's tower to broadcast it's digital signal. With KGMB's tower slated to come down KHON must relocate it's transmitter as well.

As far as the news end of the deal with a little bit of tweaking there could be more news options, not less available to viewers.
        Example:
        KGMB runs it's local news at 5p and 6p, CBS Evening News at 5:30p
        KHNL runs it's local news at 5:30p and 6:30p, NBC Nightly News at 6p.
        You basically end up with a 2 hour block of local news without directly competing against yourself.

Since KGMB has a stronger news brand than KHNL, I would rename K5 News as "KGMB 9 News" on K5 at 9pm using KGMB's talent. Ditto with "Sunrise", run it from 4:30a-7a on KGMB, then from 7a-9a on KFVE.
        On the weekends due to sports commitments on both KGMB and KHNL you could end up with using the same talent on both stations and not compete against yourself.

The other bonus is that you would expect KGMB to join KHNL/KFVE in offering it's news in HD since they will all be housed in the same building. Ditto on the sales side, since now they could offer local ad's in HD on 3 stations.

Comment

I don't have a digital tuner, but the KFVE presence on Maui is a translator on Channel 27 (which I believe is still analog). The KGMB satellite on Maui is KGMV, which is digital channel 24. Will the programming be swapped on these, as well? We probably won't know these details until we see the FCC application.

As for the channel switch on Oahu, with digital in the picture, the traditional channel numbers have little significance anymore. Nevertheless, it seems silly to make the change when you have been selling yourself for years as KGMB-9. Why confuse people?

Even though KGMB has the stronger product, larger audience, and richer tradition, Raycom's calling the shots in this deal. Apparently, they'll do what want.

But, when we hear the jingle, "One of the good things about Hawaii is wonderful KHNL", we'll know they've really gone too far.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            Though they were syndicated in the early to mid 60's KTRG (now KHNL) had 30 minute news broadcasts with anchors Jim Elliott, Wayne Collins and others like Joe Rose.
            Yep, one of those "upstarts" that had a brief existence for a few years, then died out. There may have been others I have forgotten about. All of them came and went but ultimately did not have the staying power.

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            In 1967, the call letters changed to KIKU and with that more of an emphasis on Japanese broadcasting programs. In the mid 1970's I think it was when KIKU revived the news, albeit with short 5 minute newsbreaks during movies and shows. As noted the late Larry Zerkel and Ron Wood would deliver those short newsbreaks well into the mid 80's. Remember "Entertaining Channel 13".....
            I don't remember KIKU having news broadcasts during the 1970s. Who were the reporters?

During the time that the VHF KIKU was broadcasting Japanese programming during primetime evert night, there was "Joe Rose's Gripebox," but that was to fulfill the station's public affairs obligation. I don't remember newscasts during that era.

The Zerkel/Wood newscasts started AFTER most of the Japanese programming was dumped in 1981. That, I do know, for a fact.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post

I don't remember KIKU having news broadcasts during the 1970s. Who were the reporters?

During the time that the VHF KIKU was broadcasting Japanese programming during primetime evert night, there was "Joe Rose's Gripebox," but that was to fulfill the station's public affairs obligation. I don't remember newscasts during that era.

The Zerkel/Wood newscasts started AFTER most of the Japanese programming was dumped in 1981. That, I do know, for a fact.
              I didn't think KIKU had news broadcasts either, but when doing some research on the subject at the very least in 1975 they had the similiar 5 minute short news segments that Zerkel/Wood were known to do years later. Who were the anchors in question, this I'm trying to find out.

Most definitely Zerkel was doing the 5 minute news for KIKU as early as 1981 because I have some of these segments, when they actually debuted I'm unsure of at the moment. I'll talk to Zerkel's widow and confirm more information.

Aj

Comment

So, KGMB was actually the one losing money despite the ratings. I guess it took a lot of sacrifice to start up with a morning newscast (especially expanding the time slot from 4:30am - 8am... the longest local morning newscast), the ad promos that have been really top-notch lately, and as well as hiring new (or well-known) talent with the additions of Dan Cooke and Ben Gutierrez. (Just an aside: made me wonder if both Dan and Ben together made up the salary what Jeff Booth made when he was at KGMB-- knowing that he was a certified meteorologist, while Dan and Ben aren't.)

And I'm just worried about which anchors/reporters will be kept and cut (and even the behind-the-scenes people). *sigh* We'll only have to wait and see.

Comment

Currently, I can watch KGMB (a longtime CBS affiliate for Hawaii) fine in Kaunakakai, Molokai, as well as KHNL. The newcomer KFVE (former UPN, former WB, now MyNetwork affiliate) has a low-powered transmitter on Maui so I can't catch it.

You'd think with the financial resource Raycom have, they would upgrade their KFVE transmission to better serve statewide OTA viewers. Perhaps lose the Channel 5 frequency and broadcast it on one of their sub-channels (either 9-1 or 13-1).

If they switch now, I will miss CBS ... and Tanya and Malika.

BTW, this whole swap thing is a pretty stoopid decision. To say that KFVE (which is basically "K5" without the "i") is now assigned to channel 9 is pretty confusing.

Sighs. We'll see if folks here on Molokai can watch KGMB-5.
                  Last edited by Random; August 20, 2009, 11:19 AM.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                    Example:
                    KGMB runs it's local news at 5p and 6p, CBS Evening News at 5:30p
                    KHNL runs it's local news at 5:30p and 6:30p, NBC Nightly News at 6p.
                    You basically end up with a 2 hour block of local news without directly competing against yourself.

Since KGMB has a stronger news brand than KHNL, I would rename K5 News as "KGMB 9 News" on K5 at 9pm using KGMB's talent. Ditto with "Sunrise", run it from 4:30a-7a on KGMB, then from 7a-9a on KFVE.
                    On the weekends due to sports commitments on both KGMB and KHNL you could end up with using the same talent on both stations and not compete against yourself.

The other bonus is that you would expect KGMB to join KHNL/KFVE in offering it's news in HD since they will all be housed in the same building. Ditto on the sales side, since now they could offer local ad's in HD on 3 stations.
                    Interesting speculative possibilities with the news.

Another thing one might consider is that the digital channels also offer sub-channels... so like right now KFVE is on 5.1; KGMB is on 9.1 and KHNL is on 13.1.... Currently KFVE and KGMB do not have a sub-channel... KHNL had 13.2 for a short time. It still registered the last time I checked my OTA signal (I also get standard analog cable; I use an A-B switcher)...

Which means that perhaps, news or weather content can also be broadcast like say 24-hour a day on 13.2 or a 5.2 or 9.2 if they are activated. They could loop the news on a subchannel for people who missed the main newscast times and maybe put a crawl or something underneath to update whatever is being shown... maybe even their Twitter feeds or whatever. There are probably many possibilities.

KITV 4 has an AccuWeather feed with local cut-ins plus traffic on OTA 4.2, which is also carried on Oceanic Cable. KHON is using 2.2 for airing of the CW network and a bunch of syndicated TV shows. Those are carried on Oceanic 93.

KPXO is using 4 sub-channels @ 661., 66.2, 66.3 and 66.4. KAAH is using 26.1, 26.2, 26.3, 26.4, 26.5 - all have some kind of broadcast content; whether anyone likes them or even watch, is a personal choice.

And of course there is HDTV which I am sure is pretty but which I personally don't have since I have yet to get one of those big sets.

Thanks Ninja on the explanation of the towers and all that. I knew they were going to be re-located. I just hope the signal boost can penetrate most of the Honolulu metro area as well as outlying areas and neighbor islands.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

K-5 becomes K-9? Your severe dog station?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post

Anything is possible!
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Saw this new post on craigslist...

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/tfr/1333931134.html
                          Hopefully it's a good opportunity for some to rebound with and not a bogus opportunist.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post
                            ... the ad promos that have been really top-notch lately, and as well as hiring new (or well-known) talent with the additions of Dan Cooke and Ben Gutierrez. (Just an aside: made me wonder if both Dan and Ben together made up the salary what Jeff Booth made when he was at KGMB-- knowing that he was a certified meteorologist, while Dan and Ben aren't.)
                            I have to take exception to this comment, knowing that Jeff Booth didn’t become a “certified meterologist” until he had already signed a contract with KGMB, and had been working on-air there for some time. In addition, Booth never made it (as an anchor) onto any of KGMB9 News’ primetime slots, while Ben (who along with Jeff boasts his NWA credentials) and Dan have done all of them, including Dan’s stint as the 10pm NEWS anchor. I love Jeff and he’s a hard worker and talented reporter, but in the anchor sense, he played second fiddle to Guy Hagi for the duration of his tenure in the islands.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                              Will the changes make it Almost Live, Loco, Late Again?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                                Will the changes make it Almost Live, Loco, Late Again?
                                It wouldn't be the most shocking development for that to happen. Trying to squeeze in more local commercial spots is one way to increase lagging ad revenue.
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X