Oceanic's HDTV Channel Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oceanic's HDTV Channel Question

I'm curious if anyone has had a problem receiving local HDTV channels (KHON,KITV,KFVE,KHET.KGMB) in the clear with their Oceanic Time Warner cable service and doesn't subscribe to their HD Entertainment Pak.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
      Oceanic Time Warner is the defacto cable tv operator statewide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable

# Hawaii Cluster (401,000 customers) (Operating as Oceanic Time Warner Cable) * Hawaii - Hawaii, Kauai, Lanai, Maui, Molokai, Oahu.
      The question remains - is the Big Island system an extension of Oahu, or does it have it's own Head End? Is the cable lineup identical or just similar? Perhaps a quick test is to ask if you ever see Big Island ads on the cable. If so, then you're on your own cable system, even if it is run by the same company.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
        I'm curious if anyone has had a problem receiving local HDTV channels (KHON,KITV,KFVE,KHET.KGMB) in the clear with their Oceanic Time Warner cable service and doesn't subscribe to their HD Entertainment Pak.
        If I tune in to HKHON, HKFVE, HKITV, HKGMB, HKHNL and HKHET (1003, 1005, 1006, 1007, 1008 and 1010) I get a dark screen and no sound. And yes I have Oceanic Digital cable service and without the HD Entertainment Pak.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          The question remains - is the Big Island system an extension of Oahu, or does it have it's own Head End? Is the cable lineup identical or just similar? Perhaps a quick test is to ask if you ever see Big Island ads on the cable. If so, then you're on your own cable system, even if it is run by the same company.

As far as I understand the main headend is located on Oahu. The neighbor islands are fed via a submarine fiber-optic network.

Oceanic standardized the channel lineups statewide a few years ago. However there is areas that are a tad different due to bandwidth limitations (North Kohala,Hana, Molokai and Lanai because they are serviced via microwave, not fiber-optics).
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            If I tune in to HKHON, HKFVE, HKITV, HKGMB, HKHNL and HKHET (1003, 1005, 1006, 1007, 1008 and 1010) I get a dark screen and no sound. And yes I have Oceanic Digital cable service and without the HD Entertainment Pak.
            If you have a HDTV and don't have the HD Entertainment Pak you should be able to access the local channels in the clear.

KHNL is on 83.3
            KHON is on 85.3
            KGMB is on 113.1
            KITV is on 114.2
            KHET is on 120.12
            110.1 KFVE/CW

However I was able to access only KITV (I didn't try KFVE).
            The Kona Blog

Comment

I take it you tune in to those channels using the TV's tuner? The ones I posted before is when I am using the Oceanic's cable box.

So I have to ask now that you have the HD Pak from Oceanic what types of wiring are hooked up to your Sylvania HDTV set?

For me I have a coax cable running from my Oceanic box to my VCR and then to my TV. There is a 3 wire connection from DVD player to my TV set (using RCA type connectors).

Comment

I got a e-mail from KHON that cleared up my question why I couldn't get the local HD channels in the clear. Apparently there is no FCC must carry rule for HD channels. Hence why they are scrambled.

"Good Day Aaron,

If I interpret your question correctly you're currently on Oceanic Time Warner Service. The "must carry" rules do not include HD service at this time which is probably why you're not picking up these channels in the clear. That being said however, Oceanic does move it's station line-ups from time to time which puts the HD service feeds in the clear ex: KHON on a Sony HDTV set can be picked up on 89.3 here on Oahu but I'm not sure where it would be found on the Big Island. This is one of the reasons why Oceanic insist on customers to use their HD converter boxes. I would try to perform a rescan on your TV so as to allow your set to look for any new channels and possibly find the HD channels in the clear.

Although this is probably what you didn't wish to hear, unfortunately Oceanic Time Warner is independant from our station and we do not hold the keys to their channel line-ups."
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  I take it you tune in to those channels using the TV's tuner? The ones I posted before is when I am using the Oceanic's cable box.

So I have to ask now that you have the HD Pak from Oceanic what types of wiring are hooked up to your Sylvania HDTV set?

For me I have a coax cable running from my Oceanic box to my VCR and then to my TV. There is a 3 wire connection from DVD player to my TV set (using RCA type connectors).
                  Helen,

To receive the HD channels "in the clear" as mentioned, you do have to use the TV's built-in digital tuner. If you're going through a cable box, the only way you can receive any of the HD channels is if it is an HD cable box (i.e., the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD). The standard boxes, even the "digital cable" ones, won't tune the HD channels. If you want to use the TV's tuner and keep your digital cable box, but not subscribe to the HD Entertainment Pak, then you'd need to install a "splitter" in your cable line. The cable would go from the wall jack to the splitter, then two cables would run from the splitter to the TV and your cable box.

If any of that is confusing, I'd be happy to try to clarify it.
                  No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Oceanic's QAM Channels, Jan 2011

Jan 2011 on my VIZIO

46.1 ion HD (KPXO ch. 27)
                    46.3 Fox HD (KHON)

46.4 Nickelodeon
                    77.1 Sports Choice
                    77.3 News Choice
                    78.2 Local
                    79.1 PBS Kids HD (e:i)
                    79.10 On Demand previews
                    83.3 NBC HD (KHNL)
                    86.923 Pentagon
                    114.2 ABC HD (KITV)
                    116.1 CBS HD (KGMB)

116.4 KIKU
                    116-5 some shopping channel
                    116.8 C-Span 2
                    117.3 Fox
                    117.5 KFVE
                    117.6 ABC
                    117.7 CBS
                    117.8 NBC
                    117.10 PBS
                    118.1 KFVE HD
                    120.12 PBS HD

121.10 HSN

Comment

Re: Oceanic's QAM channels April 2013

Okay, not the best list, but updated April 2013

Channel Description

46-1 ION (KXPO)
                      46-3 Fox (KHON) HD
                      46-4 CW (KHON)
                      46-55 Public Access
                      46-56 Public Access
                      47-1 METV (126)
                      47-2 THIS (544)
                      47-3 Fox (KHON)
                      47-5 MYNET (KFVE)
                      47-7 NBC (KHNL)
                      47-10 PBS (KHET)
                      47-27 ION (KXPO) HD
                      47-227 Disney Junior
                      48-1 CBS (KGMB) HD
                      48-4 KIKU HD
                      48-5 KBFD
                      48-6 ABC (KITV)
                      48-9 ABC (KITV) HD
                      49-1 MYNET (KFVE) HD
                      49-3 NBC (KHNL) HD
                      49-12 PBS (KHET)
                      50-3 TBS
                      51-2 NBA
                      51-3 CNBC
                      51-4 TW Sportsnet
                      76-6 C-SPAN
                      76-10 HSN
                      78-21 KBFD
                      78-29 Civil Defense ?
                      78-30 Public Access
                      79-1 PBS Kids
                      79-10 On Demand Preview

Comment

A few more people who could use this info might see it if you posted it here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/329826/honolulu-hi-hdtv/0_60.
                        Greg

Comment

Working...
                        X