Best Morning Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Morning Show

I watch a little bit of all of 'em (KHON, KGMB, KHNL, and KITV) from about 5:45 to 6:15 every weekday. Here's my breakdown. I know that KGMB has tried to appear spunky and cool in the mornings w/ all sorts of antics, but I think the best overall morning crew is the folks at KITV. They actually are funny; esp. Dan M. and Mahealani R.

KHON's crew is nice, but they're so mellow that I want to go back to sleep.

Re: Best Morning Show

The best cast to me has the best chemistry.

Steve is great but still looks too tense and "newsy" like he's trying to be all serious. He just needs to be himself.

I think he makes Grace Lee a little nervous, when she anchored with Keahi Tucker she was terrific.

Jeff Booth is the one holding them together and Howard Dicus is the icing on the cake.

But I agree, KITV seems to have the best chemistry.

Let's talk about the other newscasts...6pm, I like Keahi Tucker but it's very obvious Kim is trying to remind viewers every chance she gets that she and Guy Hagi are married.

I always feel she ignores Keahi on air, and focuses too much on guy.

Not a team player for sure.

Comment

I was a frequent viewer of KHNL's morning show since Guy Hagi and Lee Cataluna were the best ever morning duo, but lately the Sunrise on KGMB has kind of had my and my wife's attention. I like the stupid traffic tracker they have and the Krummy Karaoke, although at least one contestant my wife and I thought was faking how bad he was.

KHON I agree with the other posters has the tone of a library, and KITV is good, but it never really grabbed my attention like KGMB's mix of corny and morning which we like.

Comment

hi this is sansei and i only watch Kgmb sunrise and i once watched Khnl morning news when Angela was it's morning main anchor until she left and i stopped watching that monrning news and then before Kgmb,i watched Kitv only it wasnt as good and then i now put on tape and watch Khon and then erase it and so i watch the khon morning news at night so I Thought to share this wtih you.Im glad that when Kim ignore's Someone i dislike,it's good is he always look's as if he believe's that he's the Gm of Kgmb since he's someone i dont watch.

Well thank's for your time also Im still not positive when Sharie Shima's coming back since she has Seniority and she was able to take a long timeoff so I Thought to share my Thought's with everyone.:O)

Comment

I agree, there was no team like Guy Hagi and Lee Cataluna. Both are now parents, and fun news room antics probably a thing of their past. There is nothing like witnessing playful intelligence and good chemistry.

Kim does stress the "we're a couple" aspect a bit much. Really, it's not necessary! We get it, you're a team on and off the air! I think Keahi Tucker gets plenty of knocks here. The Kauai Guy is AOK in my book. Local boy, surfer, paid his dues doing mainland news, married a local girl and now a dad himself. Cut the guy a break. His delivery is polished and I never feel he is talking down to his audience.

KHON's Gina Manigieri has lots of energy and she has made the transition from print to TV really well. It helps to be a natural beauty with brains, right?

I used to love KITV, but I feel like they need a vitamin shot these days. Probably their most dynamic talent is in the morning newscast. In the past I referred to KHNL as romper room of Honolulu TV news. I can't seem to figure it out. What is it? Mainland input/style? Something about it just doesn't connect with me. I used to work with Kris Ueno at PBN. It was her dream to be where she is now, anchoring a newscast. I feel like she projects an artificial personna, and as hard as I try, I don't see the fun reporter I used to work with.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
            [...]I think Keahi Tucker gets plenty of knocks here. The Kauai Guy is AOK in my book. Local boy, surfer, paid his dues doing mainland news, married a local girl and now a dad himself. Cut the guy a break. His delivery is polished and I never feel he is talking down to his audience. [...]
            These "knocks" really needs to be taken with a grain of salt as they are inflicted by someone who admitted to me in PM that he's never even met Keahi.

Comment

I have to say, I enjoy Kirk, Kathy and Manolo (Trini too). I like their reparte'
              and Kirk's dry humor.

Comment

With regard to the "knocks" against Keahi Tucker, I'm as sick and tired of them as everyone else! Sansei, we know who you're talking about whether you mention his name or merely allude to it. You don't like him for whatever reason. You've made your point. Most of the rest of us disagree with you. Enough! Move on. As my mother taught me as a boy, if you can't say anything nice about someone then don't say anything at all!

To everyone else, please forgive my angry outburst! One only has so much patience...

Mahalo
                No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

hi this is sansei and larry price,if your the moderator,i'll give it a rest and move on only one thing to share with tutusue,i did speak with the one who'm i wont say and in true life,he's not very pleasent and from a friend who once worked with him,he at the time wasnt very pleasent and he was dubbed as an Unkind guy in his youth so This is the only thing i wish to share with you and everyone. i'll give it a rest.

well thank's for your time

Comment

How did this go from a AM news thread to a Keahi vs. Guy & Kim thread?
                    Originally posted by mike
                    scsdogg,
                    You obviously are someone in the business and know what you are talking about.....

Comment

Well all I know is that beginning Tuesday of next week the in-laws will be staying with me which means many things. One is that the TV is ALWAYS
                      on starting at 7:00 am with the TODAY show which I hate. I will hole up
                      in my room and eat my oatmeal in peace with Kirk & Kathy on! THREE WEEKS of the TODAY show is enough to drive one nuts

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                        I have to say, I enjoy Kirk, Kathy and Manolo (Trini too). I like their reparte'
                        and Kirk's dry humor.
                        Meh. Ever since Tannya Joacquinn left the morning news show for the 5:00 pm anchor slot, KHON2 has been ho-hum. It's even worse when Trini is off on a lengthy maternity leave. KHON2's Manolo is the better roaming reporter.

KITV4's Mahealani Richardson still holds the record for best impression of Elaine Crazy Dance.

KGMB9's Jeff Booth holds the record for the whitest legs, when he dressed up as Magnum on the Halloween Morning Edition. Compared to KHON2's Justin Cruz, KGMB9 have the better substitute weather reporter (i.e., Malika Dudley).

Overall, I like KGMB9 morning crew.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I like Sunrise on KGMB9. The morning team always tries to put on jokes and show silly segments. Jeff Booth is entertaining while doing his weather and traffic duties. I can tell Jeff and Steve have that bond. I like having Billy V on the show too! Howard Dicus is amazing as well. I believe there is chemistry among all of them in the show/newscast so, I'm for them!!

Comment

KHON needs a shot of adrenaline in the morning. I like everyone on it, but they just don't mesh well for a morning show. As for KGMB, I think they're trying to hard to be the hip, fun, and cool news team; esp. with stuff like kids doing the weather or people singing karaoke.

Again, I go back to KITV who actually say funny things in the morning and do odd stuff (yoga), but don't let those things get in the way of the news. I also like Dave H. for traffic over anyone else. Plus, the community minute is fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by ifcancan View Post
                              I also like Dave H. for traffic over anyone else. Plus, the community minute is fun to watch.
                              Dave H. put me to sleep. Aside from Jeff Booth, I'd rather hear Jason Yoshida of KHON2, probably the only lively person aside from Trini (if is she's not too busy having babies).
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                              X