What's for Dessert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's for Dessert?

in the great gastronomical tradition of "what's for breakfast," "what's for lunch," and "what's for dinner," let me open "what's for dessert?" i feel that everyone must indulge a little bit sometimes, and even the simplest, healthiest desserts are as wonderful as the most decadent, fat- & calorie-ridden ones.

last night, eric made dessert for us to share. he halved and seeded a bosc pear, doused it in jack daniels & cinnamon, then baked it. when he took it out, he added a small dollop of ben & jerry's stephen colbert's americone dream ice cream. mmmmm!!! it was like he took his love for me and baked it into a yummy dessert then plopped some ice cream on it.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Re: What's for Dessert?

I LOVE dessert! My current infatuation in the restaurant world is the snow meringue eggs in Tahitian vanilla sauce at 'Elua. At home, we just wrapped up the summer splurge of homemade ice cream sandwiches and are moving onto the baked fruit genre. We will certainly try Eric's luscious sounding pear creation.

Comment

The epicurean gods smile upon me thrice weekly.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups after dinner.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I am soooooo not into dessert. If I've still got an appetite after a meal, I'd much rather have more of what I just had. Seldom does dessert elevate the dining experience for me unless I'm just cruising at home and it's been a few hours since I've eaten.

My friends and I are regulars at Cafe Laufer, where we will usually find ourselves after dining out. I usually just have a cup of coffee, but will sometimes punctuate it with something simple, such as a bread pudding. Laufer is my favorite place to grab dessert, with Bubbies a close second.

At home, I usually have some home-made nonfat (or lowfat) frozen yogurt in the freezer, but a little tightening of the purse-strings lately has made even that a luxury. So far, in my kitchen experimentation with frozen yogurts, my favorite has been pumpkin pie frozen yogurt. Yum. I've also had lots of success with frozen berries, as cliche as that may be.

They are opening a Cold Stone right next to my local grocery store, which as a single guy I find myself at a few times per week. This is going to be a good thing AND a bad thing.

There are a few places to get bubble tea near my house, but I am quite fussy and only like it when it's made with fresh-brewed tea, as it is at Bibbitea Bobbitea Brew (or whatever it's called) in the 99 Ranch Market. If that was closer to home, it would be probably a near-daily dessert for me. I despise those powdered bubble drinks.

I don't know why I don't make strawberry Jell-O more often. It's so easy, and when I do make it, I can't believe how pleasurable such a simple dessert is.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I am soooooo not into dessert.
          and then you list seven desserts you do like.

eric and i shared a mango for dessert. so nice to have something so light and refreshing after a very heavy dinner of whole wheat mac and cheese with turkey taco filling.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Last night I had Halloween candy... probably have it tonight, too.

Comment

Home canned Braeburn apples, canned with sugar syrup and imported-from-the-US cinnamon redhots, served with hot Bird's Custard.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                I am soooooo not into dessert. If I've still got an appetite after a meal, I'd much rather have more of what I just had. Seldom does dessert elevate the dining experience for me unless I'm just cruising at home and it's been a few hours since I've eaten.
                I second what Scriv' just said.

Even if it's part of a prix fixe menu, you'll often find me offering my dessert to a fellow diner, just because I'm basically FULL, or simply not in the mood for it.

Not to say I don't occasionally crave something sweet. Sometimes late at night I'll binge an entire quart of ice cream (often something with nuts like pecans in it). But that's not "dessert", that's just snacking.

Then of course, you know how I feel about PIE vs. CAKE!

But hey, in spirit of this thread, next time I enjoy a nice dessert as part of a meal, I'll post it here (with a picture, of course)!
                Last edited by Pomai; November 7, 2007, 08:38 AM.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

We made brownies (with diced-up candied ginger) for a couple Hawaiian musicians who were visiting us earlier this week. Served 'em up with vanilla gelato.

Comment

I love dessert! It's the best part of a meal! I must have dessert if we go out to eat at a restaurant. At home, I do like to have something sweet and chocolatey after my meal. Usually it is something like one chocolate covered macadamia nut, or one snack size candy. But, tonight the hubby and I halved a piece of Triple Chocolate Cheesecake! Yummy!

If I never lose another pound, it may be because of this dessert (and the chocolate molten lava cake that is also in my freezer)!
                    I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

i miss Hoku's white chocolate desert thingy they used to feature back in 99.

ate at Just Tacos in Mililani last week and i said where's the desert menu? their reply to me was Flan, end of menu

Comment

more mango for dessert, followed by a glass of gouveia's orange juice. both eric and i are feeling not quite a hundred percent. i know there's a weird bug going around which involves head & body ache plus sore throat. it's not enough to make people call in sick, but enough to annoy & wear people down.

glossyp, let us know how your version of the baked pear goes. eric's tickled pink that you're going to try it!

Comment

I made an apple tart for dessert, today.

One piecrust, topped with sweetened thick prune and apple pulp leftover from juice-making, and then topped with thin apple slices, cinnamon sugar, and quince jelly thinned with hot water and brushed over the top. Into the oven it went....there's none left, it was too good.
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

dang! we did it again - the hubby and I halved a piece of Triple Chocolate Cheesecake!

no triple chocolate cheesecake tomorrow - i promise!
                            I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

iced skinny venti latte w/sugar free cinnamon dolce. i know most people would count this as "coffee" but i count it as dessert since it's so yummy, plus anything caffeinated is a treat to me bcs i'm sensitive to it (i get very chatty on more than a cup of drip, which is why i can't really have gourmet coffee drinks during the workweek). the whole milk version of my latte is 210 calories, 90 of which are fat, plus if i get the regular flavored syrup, it's 20 cals a pump (and i think they usually do 4 pumps--a whopping 80 cals in addition to the drink itself). the version i get is about 130 cals, 0 fat cals, and 40% of my RDA of calcium. not a bad trade-off!

Comment

Working...
                              X