This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

Dems are forgetting one thing......DEMographics. Remember the old saw about if your not a liberal at 20, you have no heart...if your not a conservative at 40, you have no brains. Well, the demographics of the baby boomers has been shifting to the "old" side for quite a while. And there's about 70 million of them. Thats about 1/4 of the voters in America. If Obama ignores the old folks, he's doomed. He needs to spend more time in the rest homes and less time on college campuses.

Plus, those old folks are having one identity crisis after another ie drivers license, vision, mobility, et al. They look at John McCain and see a role model of health and vigor for a 70 sumfin year old.

Last but not least, Dems suffer mightily from their fringe element. If Dems would spend some energy distancing themselves from their fringe the way Reps have tried to separate from the Christian Right, then Dems would have a much more desirable position from the point of view of centrists on the fence.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
      They look at John McCain and see a role model of health and vigor for a 70 sumfin year old.
      Well, it's not so simple. Many Boomers still hang onto a "we can change the world" mentality from youth, and still see Sen. McCain as representing the old "establishment" structure, while Sen. Obama represents the change that they've long sought.
      If Dems would spend some energy distancing themselves from their fringe the way Reps have tried to separate from the Christian Right, then Dems would have a much more desirable position from the point of view of centrists on the fence.
      Except that, while some of the Reps have tried to separate themselves from the Christian Right, overall the party has not been perceived as succeeding. It's ironic that Karl Rove, who is agnostic, uses the religious beliefs of evangelical Christians for political purposes.

Comment

Democrat suffering at the hands of their liberal fringe is much greater than Republican suffering at the hands of their conservative Christian fringe.

AND.....

Republican efforts at distancing themselves from the Christian right is much greater than Democrat efforts to distance themselves from the whacko liberal crowd.

At least that's the way I see it when you look at it from a "who's making the paper's" point of view.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Whacko Liberals???

Compared to right wing zealots, chicken hawks, racists, fake Christians, fake War Presidents, and full blown criminals that permeate the Republican party, there is no such thing as a whacko liberal crowd.
          Them's fighting words to me.

The farthest of the left have thier hearts and souls in the right place, whereas their right wing counterparts have no heart or soul, and can only say they rocked way back in thier school days, to corporate classic rock of the worst kind, and even that is a lie for most of them.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Ron you took the words right out of my mouth.

pax

Comment

Re: Whacko Liberals???

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              Compared to right wing zealots, chicken hawks, racists, fake Christians, fake War Presidents, and full blown criminals that permeate the Republican party, there is no such thing as a whacko liberal crowd.
              Them's fighting words to me.

The farthest of the left have thier hearts and souls in the right place, whereas their right wing counterparts have no heart or soul, and can only say they rocked way back in thier school days, to corporate classic rock of the worst kind, and even that is a lie for most of them.
              I remember when Reagan would play "Pink Houses" by John Cougar Mellencamp, I think eventually he made them stop playing it because it sounds as if the singer is supporting the candidate.

John McCain has been playing "Johnny B. Goode" on the campaign trail, Chuck Berry is not endorsing him, but Obama:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080609/pl_nm/berry_dc_2

Aj

Comment

Here's something interesting http://news.aol.com/political-machin...312x1200145397

a funny thing has happened since the bad old days when people talked about race in terms of "purity." Are they talking about Hawaii?

results have shown that many more of us should be checking that "multi-racial" box on our census forms. You guys always hear me talking about how race don't matter.

are we finally heading to an acceptance of the post-racial world that our DNA has already come to acknowledge? Some folks still enjoy the old fashioned notion of racial separatism. Just ask OHA. Or Kamehameha Schools.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Obama's Potential VP candidate list down to 20

I'm surprised to see that Richardson and Clark are not even mentioned. I'm glad to see that Sebelius made the finals though

Comment

If Obama chooses John Edwards as a running mate, a lot of Republicans will consider that a very wise decision. Very wise, indeed.

I would go so far as to say that if Edwards was the head of the ticket 4 years ago, he would reside in the White House.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Edwards is a bleeding heart liberal, Tim. You’ll have to explain his “mysterious GOP appeal.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Edwards is acceptable/amenable to the power structure. Elephants put more weight on that quality than Jackasses.
                        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Here's a brainstorm. What if McCain chooses Edwards or Lieberman or Richardson? All 3 are viewed favorably by lots of Reps. Judging by the poll numbers, McCain needs to step it up a little.

Same would be true for Obama choosing Powell, or even Schwarzeneggar (if he could). I bet there are other centrists who are right leaning that I can't think of right now.

Times are ripe for a mixed ticket.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

What if McCain chooses Edwards or Lieberman or Richardson?
                            Lieberman would probably accept, though he might be more liability than benefit - McCain needs to shore up his GOP base, and Lieberman would be seen by many Reps as too long connected with the Demo side (having been their v.p. candidate last time out). I doubt Richardson would accept the offer. Edwards ... well, I'm not as certain.
                            Times are ripe for a mixed ticket.
                            That's an interesting concept. You are right about the time being ripe - but it probably won't happen yet. A "unification" ticket would certainly have some appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              I doubt Richardson would accept the offer. Edwards ... well, I'm not as certain.
                              You can’t be serious, Leo! Both Richardson and Edwards have publicly and passionately endorsed Barack Obama, and pledged to campaign hard for him. It would set a precedent for political suicide for either of them to even consider a McCain VP slot.

They’re smarter then that.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                                You can’t be serious, Leo! Both Richardson and Edwards have publicly and passionately endorsed Barack Obama
                                Of course they will endorse Obama - he's their party's candidate, and they used to be running against him; what else could they do? Now, I don't believe Edwards would accept such an offer, but I can imagine him giving it some consideration, if it were presented with that "unification" theme I mentioned. He's shown himself to be a liberal with a very open mind to cooperation with others - one of the reasons he was my first-choice candidate in the past two presidential contests. But McCain would have to disavow some of the GOP party-line positions he has taken in the past year, for any Democrat to take a "unification" offer seriously, and that would be a risky game - losing GOP support in exchange for Demo-leaning independent votes.

Comment

Working...
                                X