Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thunderbirds Over Waikiki

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
    Pomai, which building in waikiki are you referring to?

i'm still not sure where i'm gonna watch the show from (today) and time is running out! gatta make a decision soon!
    Doesn't have to be Waikiki. As long as you're in the metro-Honolulu area and your building has a panoramic view of Ewa, Mauka, Makai and Diamond Head from the top, you should have a great view. They spend plenty of time passing over and turning around over the city for the main stunts on Waikiki beach. Actually it seems more time doing that than in the "showbox".
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      My girlfriend watched this morning's "warm-up" from the rooftop of our building in Waikiki, where she said it was AWESOME, as she could see them from every vantage point as they circled around over Honolulu city, including some low-altitude passes. Absolut C, if you wanna' great spot to watch it, just go on our roof! That's where I'll be at 2pm sharp!
      I plan to be there then too--lucky I got out of work in time.

Comment

T-Brids spotted in the skies over Magic Island

T-Birds Over Magic Island This Thursday Morning ( next show in 10 minutes and on sat)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=18041368

video above
        Last edited by ptosis; September 13, 2007, 01:59 PM.
        "To do is to be" - Socrates
        "To be is to do" - Plato
        "Do-be-do-be-do" - Sinatra :

Comment

Re: T-Brids spotted in the skies over Magic Island

Umm, there's a thread that's been going for a while now on the subject here, including a few nice photos by Mel.

AC, make that 2:30pm today. Not 2. 14th floor running deck.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by ptosis View Post
            I just watched your video. Nice song choice! Aces High by Iron Maiden from Powerslave. One of my favorite songs on the album.

No video does these jets justice though. You have to HEAR and FEEL those turbines roar in person.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

AC, make that 2:30pm today. Not 2. 14th floor running deck.
              I can't figure out how to get up there...my key doesn't open the locked door!

Comment

I was still at my house sitting gig on Waialae Iki during this morning's warm up. The pool cleaning guy and I watched in amazement. Many times the jets flew directly above this house in what appeared to be as close as Mel's great photo! Pool cleaners vantage point was a bit different than mine and he said he could see the pilot during one fly over. I really wanted to take photos but had to keep my fingers in my ears instead! Holey moley...they're so loud, after the fact!!!

I'm low enough on Waialae Iki to not be able to see Waikiki. My view is of Kaimuki. Still, the jets flew along Waikiki at an altitude that I could see. What a thrill.

I had to leave the house during the show and they were still flying while I was on the freeway. Most drivers were braking and slowing down in order to watch. Not good on a freeway!

Saturday I'll watch from my daughter's condo in Waikiki. Yikes...there's another fly over...<fingers in ears!>

Comment

Wish it wasn't too early for a cold brew on the deck because THEY'RE BAAAACK! I kid you not -- one of the planes was so low, it made a shadow on the side of the ridge. I think I have the best seat in the house, folks, and had I known it would be THIS incredible, I would have invited you all up. I know my ramblings aren't nearly as nice as photos, but I'm letting my fingers do the talking, since my jaw has been "dropped" since this morning thanks to the T-BIRDS!

Comment

With all due respect to our men in uniform and with the full disclosure that I am as fascinated by these amazing machines of flight as anyone, am I the only person here who thinks military air shows are an unnecessary risk of civilian life and an unnecessary expense?
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Risk me, cost me, whatever!

It's almost 3:30pm and these guy's and gal's are still going at it all over the Honolulu/Waikiki area. What a charge to see them just as close as Mel's shot at times, and in tight 7 man diamond formation!

It's as good as a dip in the fountain of youth to see them do their thing.

WOW!
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        With all due respect to our men in uniform and with the full disclosure that I am as fascinated by these amazing machines of flight as anyone, am I the only person here who thinks military air shows are an unnecessary risk of civilian life and an unnecessary expense?

The same question has crossed my mind, however, according to what I've read, in their 53 year history, there have been two fatal crashes during air shows. I don't see where any civilians have been injured or killed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Ai...birds#Airshows

Whatever the cost, today I got my money's worth!

Comment

Originally posted by MatildaRose View Post
                          [...]Whatever the cost, today I got my money's worth!
                          I'll drink to that...at 5p!

I think I took as many risks driving on the freeway as they did flying upside down along Waikiki!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            I think I took as many risks driving on the freeway as they did flying upside down along Waikiki!!!
                            A necessary risk, yours. I guess my perception is based on other accidents, perhaps in Europe with non-U.S. military airmen and civilians.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scriv', you party pooper you. lol

Well I got to watch the second show from our rooftop in Waikiki. All the more fun since I got to watch it with fellow member AbsolutChaos, who is just a charm and a beauty I might add! Hi!

I think she got some good shots of them flying overhead, which she said she'll post.

They just need to work on "stage" timing. Too much lapse between the time it takes for everyone to turn around and regroup in the showbox area, which we could see perfectly from our building. They did quite a few overhead passes coming out of Manoa Valley, which was the highlight from our vantage point. One pilot looked like he was within just feet of the Hawaiian Monarch hotel. How's that for an alarm clock? lol

Public safety or taxpayers' expense for flying them.... whatevahz... pull out all the stops on Saturday and go for it! Pedal to the metal baby!
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Some shots I got with my now-inferior Canon A510 (Mel, can I borrow your Rebel DSLR? lol)...

Formation fly-by in front of the Hale Koa Hotel and Ft. DeRussy in Waikiki...

Double hole shot towards Waikiki coming out of Manoa Valley (Tantalus on the left)...

Passing right over our rooftop...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X