Iron Man 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron Man 3

Went to see the 3-D version of Iron Man 3 at the Ward Theater on Friday night.

In a nutshell the movie is about a terrorist known as the Mandarin is attacking various places around America. One of these attacks hurts one of Tony Stark (aka Iron Man)'s friend, which makes Tony Stark to go after the Mandarin.

While it might help matters if one has seen the other two Iron Man movies and the Avengers movie, I don't think it is really a requirement to see this movie.

This movie does have a mix of action, superheroing, villains, gadgets, humor, and a cute kid as a not really a sidekick.

Re: Iron Man 3

Iron Man Three (2013)
    Robert Downey, Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Guy Pearce, Don Cheadle, Ben Kingsley, Rebecca Hall, Jon Favreau. Directed by Shane Black.

The first Iron Man film was about the suit. What a cool suit. The second was about the suit in its new version, carried around in a suitcase. Even cooler. In this third film, Tony Stark has created a suit that will fly to him, wherever he is, in small pieces and cling to his body to build the suit around him.

This makes Iron Man 3 a lot more interesting than the second, because there are scenes where we get the coolness of the Iron Man suit but since it is in pieces on his body, we get more Tony Stark. And more Tony Stark is the best thing of all in this series. I’m saying this even knowing that this third film also has more Pepper Potts, and my love for Gwyneth Paltrow in this role is well documented.

More Pepper and more Tony are all I would have needed, but a more interesting bad guy than in the first sequel really pushes this one over as my favorite in the series so far. The bad-guy situation in Iron Man 2 was terribly comic-booky in its presentation, and attention was taken away not only by Iron Man from Tony Stark, but by War Machine from Iron Man, a weird dynamic that left me feeling deflated.

The War Machine / Iron Man dynamic is straightened out in this third movie, and now everything in Tony Stark’s movie world seems to be falling into a good place.

After the horrible events related in The Avengers, Tony Stark is having anxiety attacks, and this anxiety is keeping him up at night. His new relationship with Pepper Potts makes him vulnerable, because now he has someone to care about. This edginess creates tension between Pepper and Tony, and when a new international terrorist starts blowing up buildings on American soil, injuring one of Tony’s best friends, Stark dares this new enemy to come and get him.

I am not a huge fan of action sequences, but I found most of the action in this film to be excellent. One rather long sequence that involves Stark’s residence is paced like a great battle scene, with repeated rising and falling action punctuated by humorous quips and big, violent danger. When the scene finally draws to a close, it feels like the welcome but satisfied relief of a thrilling Disneyland ride coasting to a finish as the safety bars come up.

The good action is not all as good as in that one early scene, but it manages to be about as interesting, although the huge closing action sequence reminded me too much of something else I’ve seen, and I suspect it might be the lowly (and numbing) closing scene in the A-Team movie. Still, there’s enough good stuff going on (Pepper and Tony, plus War Machine) to forgive what I see as a cliché of a setting for a showdown sequence.

If the writers of this franchise can keep coming up with cool suit modifications and snarky dialogue for Robert Downey, Jr., I don’t see why this series can’t continue for a long time with this kind of artistic and commercial success. I’ve enjoyed the X-Men series for its varied cast and bright, sparkly costumes and bright, sparkly characters, but where those films feel empty and pretty like a box of Skittles, these Iron Man pictures seem to have a bit more heft to them, like something you’d find with an embossed, leather cover on some rich guy’s private library shelf.

Good performances all around, but especially by Downey, Paltrow, and Kingsley, who is the terrorist bad guy. More, please.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
    78/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

my younger daughter and i saw this... did anyone else receive an ironman comic book??

we each received one with our ticket - same issue

joel

Comment

No did not receive any Iron Man comic book while watching the movie.

Comment

Me neither. Was it opening night or something?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I didn’t receive a comic book either, and I saw it on the first weekend. Fact is, I never read an Iron Man comic book (though I used to be a huge comic book fan, but mostly DC comics).

btw: this movie should have been called "Iron Men 3" instead of "Iron Man 3". There were so many of them.

Comment

Working...
            X