Beef Jerky, love em or leave em

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef Jerky, love em or leave em

Just though I would start a thread on one of the oldest american snacks from the old west. With all of its perservatives and high sodium content it is still my favorite snack food when on fishing and camping trips and the long drive from hilo to Kona.

What are your favorite brands?

I am also starting this to get information on this particular brand I got when i was in China town in San Francisco. The beef jerky came in a box and was really soft with a teriyaki flavor.

Here in Hilo, George's Meat Market right next door to S. Tokunaga Fishing store makes a mean home made beef jerky.

As for commercial brands,I love almost anything off the shelf except the hard oberto brand.

Re: Beef Jerky, love em or leave em

I make my own jerky: beef, smoked salmon, even spam jerky. My gramps taught me how. Pretty simple, actually, but we have a secret special ingredient that makes it da best!

Of the commercial brands, I don't really have a preference. Got some as a Xmas present from Alaska last year, and it wuz some good grindz. I forget the name, though.

Don't really mind Oberto's, but it's not a favorite.

Comment

I AM a jerky fan, it is the closest thing to a true carnivore chewing gum a person could get, and I love it!

As far as brands, I love those Jack Links commercials but have yet to try the brand its self. Some of the BEST I have had carries no label, or is a local brand.

I too, make my own. The best, or at least my fave, is venison jerky, smoky and spicy. Marinating the meat in bourbon before the drying process is a nice treat too. Also make a habanero, coriander, mango beef that is pretty good.

As stated, very easy to make, and doctor up to make how you like it.
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

Marco,

Salmon jerkey sounds ono! Spam is pretty interesting too!

Tattrat,

Venison! A meat I used to always get from my Uncles on Lanai who hunted. Your marinade for jerky defintly gourmet, are you on the Food Channel? Jack's Links! I love their Steak Nuggets! Easy to chew and low fat to boot!

Back in the early 90's I once bought one of those dehydrators that were sold on TV. The ones that works with a fan and had layers. It took so much hours just to get a little bit of Jerky. I remember even putting ahi poke in there and making Poke Jerky. Also remember the after effects from that poke jerky and running to the toilet!

Last edited by Hilo Artist; May 15, 2007, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
          I make my own jerky: beef, smoked salmon, even spam jerky.
          Spam jerky ... Wow! That does sound interesting. Gotta try that one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilo Artist View Post
            Back in the early 90's I once bought one of those dehydrators that were sold on TV. The ones that works with a fan and had layers. It took so much hours just to get a little bit of Jerky.
            A method I prefer, a la Alton Brown, is two air filters, like you would replace it the vent at home, make sure that they are natural, not synthetics, and sandwich the meat in between the two...sounds odd, but works flawlessly, the bungee the two filters containing the future jerky to a box fan, on the "sucking" side and place in an open window. Set the fan on low, 6 hours to overnight and you are done. This method is a dryer process as it uses a large volume, less humid, mass of air to dry. Although, I am sure in HI, humidity is a daily wet down...but either way, in house air tends to be drier then outside.

This method also works GREAT for fruits to make fruit jerky. Just be sure you slice the fruit thin. Mango, banana, and pineapple work great.
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

I have nothing informative to add to this thread other than now I NEED to go get some beef jerky. My sister who lives in Northern Colorado these days loooooves deer (Venison) jerky. Anyone ever have homemade deer jerky? Is it as good as she says?

Edit to ask...

What other animals taste good in jerky form?
              I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

I remember one of my hanai uncles long time ago gave me some barbequed moose jerky and ho boy, was that ever ono!!

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                  I have nothing informative to add to this thread other than now I NEED to go get some beef jerky. My sister who lives in Northern Colorado these days loooooves deer (Venison) jerky. Anyone ever have homemade deer jerky? Is it as good as she says?

Edit to ask...

What other animals taste good in jerky form?
                  I love turkey jerky, buffalo is pretty tasty and has a nice gamey flavor.

I remember a few years back trying a commercial exotic meats jerky or maybe it was beef sticks? But I remember them being made of Ostritch, Alligator, and a bucnh of other creatures. I havent seen them since?

Comment

I just found out what the name of that Beef jerky I got in china town in SF.

It is called Jimmy's Chinese Beef Jerky and is made in of all places Vacouver Canada. This jerky is moist and not really dry. Really good stuff and very different.

Does anyone know if this brand is sold in Honolulu? I will be there this weekend and would like to buy a case of this stuff.

Comment

It is called Jimmy's Chinese Beef Jerky and is made in of all places Vacouver Canada. This jerky is moist and not really dry. Really good stuff and very different.

Does anyone know if this brand is sold in Honolulu? I will be there this weekend and would like to buy a case of this stuff.
                      I remember Jimmy's. Everyone in our family who went to SF always brought back a few boxes. Stuff is way too sweet for me, now.

When you come over here, try check out some of the markets in Chinatown, since you going down there for dim sum anyways.

We make our own Korean style flank steak jerky. We just go easy on the goma oil. Can't seem to keep any around long enough to snack on.

We use one of those round, multi level dehydrators. We keep our eyes open for more at garage sales as my wife wants more tiers so she can make more. I tol her no mek difference as oni can buy so much meat. Eh, flank steak not cheap.

Comment

I love all brands, especially Oberto because I tend to prefer the harder ones more.

Funny how you started this thread because my friend just 2nd Day UPS-ed 9 lbs. of beef jerky from the Beef Jerky Store in Vegas. Mmmm...
                        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                        We're not here to mess around
                        Boston, you know we love you madly
                        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                        You know we couldn't live without you
                        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                          I remember Jimmy's. Everyone in our family who went to SF always brought back a few boxes. Stuff is way too sweet for me, now.

When you come over here, try check out some of the markets in Chinatown, since you going down there for dim sum anyways.

We make our own Korean style flank steak jerky. We just go easy on the goma oil. Can't seem to keep any around long enough to snack on.

We use one of those round, multi level dehydrators. We keep our eyes open for more at garage sales as my wife wants more tiers so she can make more. I tol her no mek difference as oni can buy so much meat. Eh, flank steak not cheap.
                          Hey Da Rolling Eye!

Sweet jerky for me is going to be heaven after this long diet. I think I will chance the diabetic rush and savor it if I ever find it. I will keep an eye open for it in China town, I love that place!

Wow! Korean flank steak jerky sounds winnahs!

Aye sos!, only 6 more days until I am normal again. I already got my shopping list of things I plan to eat.

Pop Tarts from Don Quiote
                          Jimmy's Chinese beef jerky- if I can find it.
                          cocoa Puffs from Liliha
                          Dim Sum from Panda , Legend, or wherevers serving! lol
                          Pizza!!!!
                          Breakfast with Portuguese sausage eggs and rice
                          and
                          anything Shirokiya puts out for us in the dressing room! I hope it's bentos as I miss eating rice!
                          oh almost forgot M & M's peanuts!

5 months of strict dieting made me lolo! LOL!
                          Layne

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                            I love all brands, especially Oberto because I tend to prefer the harder ones more.

Funny how you started this thread because my friend just 2nd Day UPS-ed 9 lbs. of beef jerky from the Beef Jerky Store in Vegas. Mmmm...

9 pounds of beef jerky! i am your friends best friend!

Comment

Longs Drugs in the Kahala Mall sold it...in the pink boxes.

Oh that stuff is to die for.

When I was living in Idaho, jerk meat was plentiful and cheap. I ate Buffalo, Deer, Rabbit, and even snake jerky. I think the best was the buffalo because the meat is dark and had lots of fat which made the jerky tender.

And then there's Buffalo ribs. Talk about being able to take a big bite without touching bone, but lotsa fat dripping off with each bite. Oh man that was a heavy dinner....Buffalo ribs, corn on the cob and Idaho potatoes polished off with some hot apple cider.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X