Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What CDs or songs would you not openly admit you own or like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What CDs or songs would you not openly admit you own or like?

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
    I can honestly admit to liking the people behine Milli Vanilli's stuff...
    whoever that was.

"Girl you know it's true...true ... true... true..."
    Everyone I knew in high school had a copy of the Milli Vanilli album in their car. They were huge in the 90s. Heck they won a grammy!

To the above above point I wholeheartedly agree... those two guys may have been faking, but someone sang those songs....and at the time everyone loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
      The only Melanie Safka LP I have is the one with "Brand New Key" and "Ring the Living Bell" on it.... from way back in 1971.
      She's had some good songs. "Candles in the Rain/Lay Down" and "Look what they've done to my song". Not sure as I'd want an album full of her stuff though.

Comment

In Melanie's case it is probably good to just go with a compilation CD so that you get all of the mentioned songs or just buy each song individually through services such as iTunes or Amazon.com. Most of her album tracks are rather folksy in nature... at least from what I have with that one album.... which I haven't played nor upgraded to CD since I got the vinyl in 1971. I do have "Brand New Key" on a various hits compilation CD.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
          I've collected all the albums by:
          Engelbert Humperdinck
          Tom Jones
          David Hasselhoff
          Mariah Carey
          Paris Hilton
          Melanie Safka
          You're equating Melanie with the likes of David Hasselhoff and Paris Hilton???

As Mel alluded to, the bulk of her material falls into the folk genre. She also wrote many songs that are gospel/country-sounding. Brand New Key was Melanie's biggest hit,.... and in a way, her biggest curse. Up until then, she was emerging as a serious singer-songwriter in the mold of Joni Mitchell and Joan Baez. Brand New Key was supposed to be a novelty song, but because it was such a huge hit, it had the effect of trivializing her career (undeservedly) for many years afterwards. It's not unlike what happened with Leo Sayer. Up to this day, many people think of Sayer as merely being a shlocky disco artist, because You Make Me Feel Like Dancing overshadowed the rest of his output.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I've collected all the albums by: Melanie Safka
            Do you have "Stoneground Words"? That is one of the most beautiful recordings I've ever heard --- and as you folks know, I've heard a LOT! The arrangements, the performances and the overall production are relaxing, dream-inducing and evocative. I wish it were available on CD, but since there were no hits on it, I don't expect to see it reissued.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              You're equating Melanie with the likes of David Hasselhoff and Paris Hilton??? .
              I like my whole list. You got a problem with who I like?
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I like my whole list. You got a problem with who I like?
                Nope. What you like is your business and nobody else's, of course. I was just thrown off a little by seeing Melanie's name grouped in with David Hasselhoff and Paris. That's all.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I think I can probably top all of you folks with my mistaken choices for my IPod:

"The Jose Cuervo Song" - various artists
                  "The Rodeo Song" - various artists

(I only have one version of each copied)

When I was living in SFO, those were favorite "drinking songs" and could be found on the juke box of lots of bars!
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Nope. What you like is your business and nobody else's, of course. I was just thrown off a little by seeing Melanie's name grouped in with David Hasselhoff and Paris. That's all.
                    Ah shucks, I was just pulling your leg.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Our 8th grade graduation song was "Water Runs Dry" by Boyz II Men and I was so embarrassed that I actually like it. I didn't want to lose my cred at the local music shop, so I made my friend buy it while I bought Metallica's Reload.

I also have "Romeo" by Dino and "All That She Wants" by Ace of Base on cassette singles. And I still have my NKOTB tape, cuz I'm all about Hangin' Tough. I never listen to any of this, though. I totally dug my Aha record. But that was all before high school.

Now, I guess my secret shame is Seal and Croft's "Summer Breeze". Totally uncool with my set. And if anyone happens upon the one Mandy Moore song ("Cry") I have on my IPod, or Lady Gaga and her "Just Dance", or Rihanna's "Disturbia", I blame it on my husband. I am a rock girl and that's all there is to it!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Seals & Croft is a good duo. "Summer Breeze" is a good song... and so are "Diamond Girl," "You're the Love," and "We May Never Pass This Way Again".... all top 40 gems from the 1970s... which to me are not too old!

And I have to admit that on my iPod I also have "Just Dance" by Lady Ga Ga and "Womanizer" by Britney Spears. Fortunately these days you don't have to buy an entire album just to get tracks you like.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Seals & Croft is a good duo. "Summer Breeze" is a good song
                          It's one of my favorites. One of my friends and I made a "Shaggin' Wagon" mix of 70's songs we liked and that one went on repeat for an entire beach trip. Also on there is Chicago "If You Leave Me Now" and Cheryl Lynn "Got to Be Real". Awesome stuff! But nobody would understand.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I was a small kid in the 1960s and loved the rock n roll music of the era. Got plenty of free records in those days from a friend of my Dad's who ran a jukebox vending machine business. Also got my first transistor radio way back then too. Music was mostly free and nearly all of it was great.

By the 1970s I was buying records and tapes, continued listening to the music and relate to most any 70s artist someone mentioned. Chicago was great in their day. "If You Leave me Now" was their first #1 hit. Topped the charts in 1976. They were around for at least 7 or 8 years by that time.

I understand disco. That helped me get through college... did some stints as disco DJ for a while. A lot of the disco music is tacky but fun, and hey, it helped pay some bills. Cheryl Lynn's "Got to Be Real" was one of many top 40 dance songs to fill the dance floor.

And today as an old fart I am still open to listen to music of the 1990s and today of course. Good and bad is in the ear of the beholder.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I love Chicago's older stuff ("25 or 6 to 4"). Cheryl Lynn's great today for some pop-locking and mixing for b-boy competitions.

I gotta admit, I've been getting hooked on Hall & Oates.
                              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

When I was in school band, we played "25 or 6 to 4" and a couple other Chicago hits including "Make Me Smile" and "Colour My World". That was long, long, long ago.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X