Drones in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drones in Hawaii

Anyone into UAVs? Not the military missile-firing variety, but the increasingly affordable hobby type, from the Parrot AR Drone to the DJI Phantom. Photographers and videographers have captured some spectacular shots from the air.

But our legislature is looking at several bills aimed at UAVs, most of them focused on privacy protections and a recent one aimed at law enforcement use.

Now that these flying "toys" are within reach of the average citizen, will they become so popular as to become a problem? Or like most tech, is the media-fed specter of abuse far more dangerous than the reality?

Re: Drones in Hawaii

I spy with my little eye drone.

Comment

The drones are very good tools for making videos of Real Estate tracts.
      The lil quad copters equipped with a cam can spotlight a nice
      location like nothing else.

Comment

Anti-drone bill shelved by state House
        http://www.kitv.com/news/antidrone-b...house/25065042
        "I'm not real sure what the solution is, but it probably has to be looked at because of the 'bad' people that can make it bad," said Hobbietat co-owner Paula Farm.

Comment

The drones are a very sophisticated system.
          Their operating systems may vary but usually a good shotgun blast from an over and under will cause problems for the pest.
          Last edited by lensperson; April 2, 2014, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Surveillance technology will only grow and improve.

Either get used to it, and be 'good,' or suffer the consequences.
            The USA needs millions of "good little soldiers" who don't ask embarrassing questions.

All hail Obummer!
            Last edited by Kaonohi; April 2, 2014, 06:26 PM. Reason: None of our f'ing business!
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
              The drones are a very sophisticated system.
              Their operating systems may vary but usually a good shotgun blast from an over and under will cause problems for the pest.
              Side-bys and pumps work as well. If you have a good eye, autoloaders are unnecessary.
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Civil Bytes: That’s Not a Drone, That’s a Researcher
                These glorified toys are helping researchers in Hawaii fight invasive plants, prepare for disasters and monitor beach erosion.

For the average consumer, drones are just expensive toys for snowboarders and techies. But for businesses, researchers and government agencies, especially in Hawaii, they’re the latest tool to help them work in faster, safer and cheaper ways.

Drones, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), or quad copters, or remote-controlled planes or whatever you want to call them, are being used in Hawaii for some very interesting and cutting-edge tasks, from letting University of Hawaii researchers cheaply calculate rainfall runoff rates to helping the Honolulu Fire Department quickly identify smoldering hot spots during brush fires.

Comment

I have a DJI Phantom Vision 2 Plus and it's my first RC anything and I had my share of growing pains (crashes).

I know that some national/State parks have bans where you can't fly them but I guess like anything else, as long as you fly your drone responsibly and think about the impact on the crowd/neighborhood/environment, you should be okay.

I don't condone flying drones where the public may become uncomfortable, like close up where women would be sunbathing and such (they might think you're being Sukebe'). Start at an open and wide park, fly at a modest altitude, and if you intend on flying on any state park, it's a good idea to simply ask questions and have a flight plan by recon'ing the site should they have questions.

Comment

There should be no drone zones in residential areas including high rises as well as near single family homes and of course away from all commercial and military aviation routes. It's a matter of privacy and public safety.

I heard one good shot from a high powered Super Soaker gun filled with water can bring a low flying drone down. Or maybe a garden hose with a high pressure nozzle.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Agreed.

However I shot some really nice videos during the holiday season in some areas where I actually asked for (military) permission through the PMO office and such. High rises are a big no-no, too much risk involved.

Comment

A link to the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) a lobbying organization advocating for our privacy rights.

They have a section on drones:

https://epic.org/privacy/drones/

...drone surveillance often occurs without the knowledge of the individual being monitored....

Aeriel surveillance of drones within the United States raises significant privacy issues.
                        It is a complex web of many issues that will probably need to be all figured out in court.

To me it would seem the safety issues will be easier to address especially regarding drone flights near or over commercial airspace.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Leo Laporte, the Tech Guy talks about 4 drones that intruded into the airspace that interrupted fire fighting operations.

https://youtu.be/A6ecVRWRgPU

Someone suggested that a transponder be mandated as standard equipment on all drones so that the owners are identified.

Another IMO is to have all drones registered with the FAA much like how regular aircraft are.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

It's about time... a brick-and-mortar store and service center for consumer drones:

http://www.hawaiiweblog.com/2015/08/...es-plus-hawaii

Comment

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...-was-committed

Not good.

Comment

Working...
                              X