• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where's Akbar!

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    [...]
    Can't think of a single Black House...
    Oh, there are a few!
    Even a Red House! (I posted this link to FB the other day as an example of absolutely the worst commercial I've ever, ever, EVER seen...on every level!
    And a Brown House...or 2!
    Don't forget, Matapule had a Yellow House.

Comment

Re: Where's what?

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      And a Brown House...or 2!
      Maybe the classic Brown Derby restaurant classifies as a brown house too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Where's what?

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        Maybe the classic Brown Derby restaurant classifies as a brown house too.
        Well, we have a white out, a brown out, a black out, and don't forget to "red out" that error with a yellow marker!

(I guess it must be a sloooow night for everyone)
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Re: Where's Akbar!

Even a Red House!
          I posted this link to FB the other day as an example of absolutely the worst commercial I've ever, ever, EVER seen...on every level!
          I'd like to see the outtakes for that one ...if there are any.
          This might be #2, in every sense of the phrase
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3v4n...1&feature=fvwp
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: The reward money.

Addressing your spoiler:
            My favorite restaurant when I was a kid in my home town was named the White House (click on History)...'cuz, like the one in DC...it's painted white! Whatta concept! I sincerely doubt, in 1918, the original owners of that restaurant considered race when choosing the paint color. Nor were than any thoughts of racism from its many customers. It's still going strong today as...the White House! I'd like to think the same is true for DC.
            Heavens, Sue, certainly it was named as the "White House" because of it's color. However, in those days racism was rampant. Can you imagine them naming an onyx structure "the Black House?" Neither can I.

Many of our founding fathers were slave owners, and those slaves were mostly from Africa, and therefore "black," or Negro (Latinesque for 'black').

Blacks were considered inferior, even sometimes less than human, though many of our founders were beginning to see the light, as we do today.

"The White House" has housed only white males since its inception. Time to change our concepts.

K
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              Heavens, Sue, certainly it was named as the "White House" because of it's color. However, in those days racism was rampant.[...]
              Yes, I'm aware of that. However, my home town was more the exception than the rule. It catered to differences; still does. It's acceptance of everyone was one of my dad's favorite things about that town. It was his home town, too. We're kamaaima Laguna!!! That's not to say there were never any racial or homophobic epithets muttered. Rather, it was known for its inclusiveness. It was a great place to be raised.

I was attempting to gently dilute the thought of a "white house" or "White House" having any racial undertones. That's all!

Comment

Negro (Latinesque for 'black').
                Well, more Greek (Négros) than Latin (niger). Then again, you did say "Latinesque."
                "The White House" has housed only white males since its inception.
                Present occupant excepted, right?

Comment

Re: This is NOT Osama bin Laden

Laguna Beach was a treasure before it got built up, I was long gone before that started, but it was a favorite of my mom's who'd take me to the art fair from the 50s, and later I'd go diving and horse riding with friends. Never saw ObL there!
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Re: This is NOT Osama bin Laden

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    Laguna Beach was a treasure before it got built up, I was long gone before that started, but it was a favorite of my mom's who'd take me to the art fair from the 50s, and later I'd go diving and horse riding with friends. Never saw ObL there!
                    <tee hee>
                    ObL in Laguna...now that'd be funny! The bordering areas are more built up than Laguna as land within the city limits is finite. What bogs Laguna down is summer traffic. The Festival of Arts is ongoing. ObL isn't!

Comment

The Gray House

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Present occupant excepted, right?
                      Not totally. Thanks for the lead-in.

Our crude culture calls Barack Obama "Black" because he had a "black" father and a "white" mother. But is he not just as much 'white' as he is 'black?' He's 50/50, to my understanding, as much white as black, which I think is a good thing!

Reminds me of a story of a 'black' singer who married a 'white' guy and her daughter asked, "Mom, am I black or white?" To which her mother answered, "Honey, you're both. Now isn't that a beautiful thing?"
                      Indeed it is.

Sorry, this is a divergence from the OT, but I think it hardly deserves a full thread by its own self.

The epitome of racism: to label someone as fully something of which they are only a part.

I ache for the days when we identify everyone as just "human." Maybe when the off-Earth intelligences reveal themselves we will unite.
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                      X