Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Route 808
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: TheBus news

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
I believe at least in town there should be more busses to accomodate the masses. One thing I hated when riding the bus was having to stand in a crowded bus. I got no student or senior citizen discount so I was a full-fare paying rider having to stand during the morning and afternoon rush hour times.

I felt something was wrong here and that if you pay more than others, you should be able to sit and ride in some comfort. The notion of being able to sit and read the morning rag while commuting to work was a fleeting one as I stood there hanging on for dear life as we tore down potholed Kapiolani BLVD.

More busses would allow for more seats. More seats would mean people like me wouldn't have swayed away from riding the bus later on.

One problem with more busses however, yes that bus takes that many cars off the road, but if 50 people drove their cars, those cars would end up in parking lots and not on the streets for the rest of the day until the afternoon rush. Their motors would be off and not consuming fuel or polluting the air with exhaust.

Busses on the other hand would continue to operate whether it was carrying a full load or just one passenger, throughout the day and more than likely, through out the evening. Their motors are on more times than off, consuming more fuel and contributing to more pollution. Their weight on the roads have more impact as they're on them longer. It's so bad at most major bus stops concrete is used as a pad instead of asphalt. Heavy vehicles make more of a negative impact on our roadways than lighter ones. I think I can say that's a fact.

So is The Bus really a better way to get to work? Maybe from a passenger standpoint, but what about from an environmental, roadway infrastructure and resource perspective?

Hmmm.....I think an Environmental Assessment or better yet an EIS should be conducted on the Bus to see exactly how the Bus impacts our daily lives from a societal level to an environmental one.

As anyone who has been stuck behind a bus, they exhaust a crapload of carbon. Before it was acceptable as carbon soot fell back to the ground but nowdays with the emphasis on carbon footprinting, I think the Bus and other diesel burning vehicles are probably contributing a good portion of it into our environment.
Yes, the heavy weight of buses contribute to the premature breakdown of an asphalt lane. That's why the right lanes tend to fall apart first compared to the left lanes. And yep, that's why major bus stops have concrete pads for the buses. I don't know for sure what The Bus uses for fuel. If it is diesel which I think it is, we're behind other bus fleets as they use CNG. However, I don't think CNG is cheap either.

Other issues I can think of also is the need for the extra bus drivers to man any extra buses. That adds up quick. And getting on and off a loaded bus is crazy, ever see a mob mentality when there is a crowd getting onto a bus and they start pushing hoping to get a seat?
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
I don't know for sure what The Bus uses for fuel. If it is diesel which I think it is, we're behind other bus fleets as they use CNG. However, I don't think CNG is cheap either.

Other issues I can think of also is the need for the extra bus drivers to man any extra buses. That adds up quick. And getting on and off a loaded bus is crazy, ever see a mob mentality when there is a crowd getting onto a bus and they start pushing hoping to get a seat?
Here in Hawaii we cannot use CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) because the natural gas used in the utility section of Oahu is actually SNG or Synthetic Natural Gas that is manufactured here by the Gas Company.

The problem with SNG is when you attempt to compress it, the molecules that are combined to make SNG out of propane and other lighter hydrocompounds tend to break down under pressure and separate, almost like hydrocracking.

Instead propane is the better fuel alternative as there are two manufacturing plants on Oahu with the capacity to import to four of the major Hawaiian islands, and we already have four distribution companies and many distribution points across the state to handle the distribution and consumption of propane. In other words the infrastructure for propane delivery and distribution is already in place and working.

The downside to propane combustion is the release of carbon dioxide and water vapor into our atmosphere as it's emission.
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Ali`i

Craig - are you saying that those of us who are seniors or disabled are less entitled to a seat, simply because we pay less for our pass? Even when I was buying a regular pass, I certainly didn't feel I should be entitled to take a seat from a senior citizen or person on crutches etc.

I mean no disrespect by my question but you are the first person I've ever heard actually make a statement like yours.
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Ali`i

If you are allowed on the bus, you have equal privilege to any open seat, minus the few up front unless you qualify.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Ali`i

I just returned from Los Angeles and rode the public transportation around town or walked as far as I could. $1.25 for city buses and/or the Metrolink rail which goes both underground and above ground in certain parts of the city. I was very pleased with the service and for $5 you can buy an all day pass and go from Universal City to Long Beach and back if you desire.

We've been taxed for 18 months for the future mass transit here in town and if the anti-rail people get their wishes and the whole project gets canceled are we getting our money back or what? I doubt it.

The old adage applies to so many things in life, build it and the people will come.

Aj
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
I just returned from Los Angeles and rode the public transportation around town or walked as far as I could. $1.25 for city buses and/or the Metrolink rail which goes both underground and above ground in certain parts of the city. I was very pleased with the service and for $5 you can buy an all day pass and go from Universal City to Long Beach and back if you desire.

We've been taxed for 18 months for the future mass transit here in town and if the anti-rail people get their wishes and the whole project gets canceled are we getting our money back or what? I doubt it.

The old adage applies to so many things in life, build it and the people will come.

Aj
Would you say the rail was the more comfortable ride or the bus? Which one seemed more consistent on schedule? Do you see a single rail line working on Oahu with the buses feeding it like the way the LA system is set up?
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
Craig - are you saying that those of us who are seniors or disabled are less entitled to a seat, simply because we pay less for our pass? Even when I was buying a regular pass, I certainly didn't feel I should be entitled to take a seat from a senior citizen or person on crutches etc.

I mean no disrespect by my question but you are the first person I've ever heard actually make a statement like yours.
I will always give up a seat for senior citizens and the handicapped, but as a full-fare paying passenger and a middle-class one at that we get no subsidy or discounts on bus passes to ensure a safe and comfortable ride on a public bus.

Giving up one's seat is a noble gesture to a handicapped or elderly person who is less likely able to stand or withstand the jarring of a bus ride while standing.

But the irony of it all is that as a middle-class middle-aged working male that rented (no mortgage deduction at that time) I have paid the highest fare while subsidizing the very transit system with the highest tax rate applied to a bus system that can't allow this schmuck to sit and ride in some level of comfort, while also paying for vehicle weight taxes for cars I left sitting in my garage just to save the Earth at the same time.

Now here's the selfish part and please I'm saying this tongue in cheek so don't take it seriously okay?

I'm going to work to earn a decent wage and pay my fair share of taxes to keep the government running and allow the bus to run. I used to see a group of senior citizens ride the same bus every morning just to socialize (like a mobile McDonalds). I'm using the bus as a transit alternative, they're using it as a way to meet. I pay full fare to get to work, they pay a subsidized fare to go nowhere. They occupied seats needlessly while those who subsidized their seats stood. I get to work with tired feet, they go home and enjoy retirement as I earn a wage and pay taxes to subsidize their morning routine.

Okay so some are going to do volunteer work at a school or someplace. But I caught the bus at 5:30am and there they are. They're retired. They earned the right to sleep in. When I retire for good I'm not planning on getting up at the crack of dawn as if I had to be somewhere in a hurry like work.

Handicapped? No problem they deserve to have a seat, they're handicapped! Elderly? What are they doing up at 5:30 in the morning riding a refrigerator (yeah it's friggin cold in them buses in the morning). Women? Okay now I'll get flamed for saying this but...is it still expected to give up a seat for a woman? I mean with equal rights and all there shouldn't be a distinction between male and female right? But my code of conduct will always give the woman a seat, I'm old school.

So I stand. It's my choice but that's the irony of it all. To get around it, I gave up saving the planet and drove my BMW to work instead.
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Ali`i

ok - I understand your point. but, being one of those with "special privileges", I also understand that if I have to stand, the bus slams on it's brakes & I fall (because I'm standing), break a bone & end up suing the bus company - who is the victim here? the one who gives up a seat so I can have it? the bus company who loses money on the lawsuit (maybe has to pass that along to the passengers?) or myself who is a senior with old bones and suffers a permanent injury? just because I had to stand. Of course, the same could happen to you while standing. But, my feeling is that I've earned my seat - simply by getting old or disabled. Not something I can control but I certainly appreciate the fact that I'm shown some favor while riding the bus (by law). I will still give up my seat if someone more "fragile" than myself needs it - but I will also ask a young person to give up one of those front dedicated seats if I need it.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
ok - I understand your point. but, being one of those with "special privileges", I also understand that if I have to stand, the bus slams on it's brakes & I fall (because I'm standing), break a bone & end up suing the bus company - who is the victim here?
Makes me wonder why we have a double standard in the state.

People using individual vehicles such as cars and trucks are mandated by law to be seat belted while the vehicle is in operation.

Why are bus riders, both mass transit and school bus not required to be seat belted into a seat? Standing is obviously much more dangerous than being seated as mentioned in the example above.

Mass transit and school bus riders would all be guaranteed a seat if a belt requirement were in place and no standing was allowed.

As things are now, bus riders are second class citizens when it comes to safety.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
One thing I hated when riding the bus was having to stand in a crowded bus. I got no student or senior citizen discount so I was a full-fare paying rider having to stand during the morning and afternoon rush hour times.
Craig, I would trade my arthritis and discount fare for the ability to stand without pain and a full fare. Any takers?

Ofa 'atu
Mui Houma
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Ali`i

You can keep your arthritis because I have it too, but being 48-years old and able to stand without aid doesn't make me look handicapped at all, but arthritic joints allow for some major pain everytime the bus would hit a pothole.

With developing arthritis in the rest of my joints, riding the bus was not an option for me anymore. People would give me the stink eye if I didn't give up my seat only to think twice when I would hobble off the bus at my destination. It's not easy being younger and arthritic. People judge you as healthy until they see the pain in your eyes as you go on with your life.

I'm borderline handicapped but not enough to be labelled one. That plus being in the Gap Group made for a very difficult time for me to get any subsidy support from the State of Hawaii or C&C of Honolulu. I walk past the handicapped seats and paid full fare while standing in pain. No joy for this bus rider.
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Ali`i

Anyone with mobility problems can get a form signed by their Doctor and then apply for a disability bus pass. That was what I did a few years ago when it became apparent to me that to continue riding the bus, I would have to "bite the bullet" with my pride and finally admit that I have physical problems. and the bus is my only transportation option for day to day affairs - I don't drive.

It is hard when I see someone sitting in the front seats who LOOKS healthy & strong, especially if they are younger. You are correct - we can't always tell by appearances who has a problem and who doesn't. With me it's easy now - I walk with a cane.

I appreciate your comments on your feelings while riding the bus.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Ali`i

Maybe we should get doubledecker buses. The whole bottom deck can be made for seniors and disability. The upper is for everyone else. And only the bottom is allowed for standing if one doesn't mind standing? That's also doubling the capacity of a bus without having to expand a bus's footprint on the road (vs an articulated bus) and it's still one driver.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Ali`i

Trouble is with double decker buses is that they might not go under overpasses very well.
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Ali`i

Well kids, today's episode of 'Riding The Bus' will have to wait for the statute of limitations to run out.

Next week we hear, "So Ron, what happened to that jerk that stepped on both sets of your toes and wouldn't appologize?"

Tune in.

Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 8th, 2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Ali`i

Yesterday I got to watch two private school students snuggle, nuzzle and fondle right in front of me in the back doorway as I sat in the seat that's right there, elevated to have some pretty good scope of who and what is on theBus. Yech. I don't bother looking away. Why should I? It's pretty much performance art, right up there with teens learning new cuss words. Can't ask minors to get a room, right? Thank goodness I can surf the Web on my iPhone. I guess I could take a photo with it and send it to the school. Hmmmm.
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
Yesterday I got to watch two private school students snuggle, nuzzle and fondle right in front of me in the back doorway as I sat in the seat that's right there, elevated to have some pretty good scope of who and what is on theBus. Yech. I don't bother looking away. Why should I? It's pretty much performance art, right up there with teens learning new cuss words. Can't ask minors to get a room, right? Thank goodness I can surf the Web on my iPhone. I guess I could take a photo with it and send it to the school. Hmmmm.
Should have just said outloud while pointing the iPhone at them, "This will be great on youtube!!!!".
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
I would take out my camera phone and start taking pictures telling them it'll be on youtube tonight synced to some slutty music, and to type in the keywords, "isthisyourkidonthebus". It would stay there for eternity for public viewing (hey isn't that what they want?) even on their wedding anniversary when they're married to someone else who would happen to see it later on in life but didn't sign a prenuptual agreement.

Yeah do unscrupulous acts in public in your youth, pay for it later on when during your job interview with that killer job it is known that it was you that stuck your tongue in the interviewer's wife.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Trouble is with double decker buses is that they might not go under overpasses very well.

Here's a double-decker bus, the Deuce, used in Las Vegas. They looked pretty cute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheDeuce1.jpg (46.1 KB, 7 views)
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palama Kid View Post
Here's a double-decker bus, the Deuce, used in Las Vegas. They looked pretty cute.
Hard to say but it doesn't appear to be much taller than a big rig?
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
Hard to say but it doesn't appear to be much taller than a big rig?
Sounds about right.

Here's another pitcher. Through the front entrance door, you can see a passenger (in a white sweater?) standing up on the lower level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheDeuce2.jpg (37.3 KB, 7 views)
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM
sansei

Default Re: The Bus's new HEA system

hi my apologie's to our mod only since their's no thread on the bus system,

i wish to share that so far our bus fare is still at $2.50 and not any higher and my mom thought when she saw the fare's of last year from the pamphlet for the bus she taught it was at $2.25 so i shared my thought's on looking at this year's pamphlet and she did and it was at $2.25 so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time
Old September 17th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansei View Post
i wish to share that so far our bus fare is still at $2.50 and not any higher and my mom thought when she saw the fare's of last year from the pamphlet for the bus she taught it was at $2.25
Thank you Mr. Mayor for the fare increase.
Old September 17th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
Thank you Mr. Mayor for the fare increase.
Thank you oil conglomerates for record profits.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old August 19th, 2019, 03:13 AM
Ali`i

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/0...-changed-oahu/

Be prepared. But mostly the windward side.