Converting home movies for the iPod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting home movies for the iPod

I have some home movies I burned to one DVD from VHS. The DVD was burned on a free standing unit and not in my computer, in case that makes a difference. I would like to pop a couple of the shorter movies on to my iPod. Computer info is:
    Mac OS 10.4
    iLife 5
    Quicktime Pro, which I just downloaded and have no idea how to use!!!

This tutorial seems easy enough except the files on the DVD don't show .mov. This is the list of files in a folder on that DVD:
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_0.IFO
    VTS_02_1.VOB
    VTS_03_0.BUP
    VTS_03_0.IFO
    VTS_03_1.VOB
    VTS_04_0.BUP
    VTS_04_0.IFO
    VTS_04_1.VOB
    VTS_04_2.VOB
    These represent 4 different movies. They open and play just fine in iDVD and the iDVD menu shows the individual movies. Am I out of luck when it comes to iPod use? TIA for any help.

Re: Converting home movies for the iPod

Tutu, I don't know how to do it myself, but I googled up this tool which sounds like it might be what you want:

HandBrake is a GPL'd multiplatform, multithreaded free DVD to MPEG4 ripper/converter. It not only can convert DVD to AVI or OGM, but also can rip DVD to MP4 for Video Ipod which Apple released on Oct, 2005.

Comment

I've not done a DVD-to-iPod conversion yet, but will, eventually, and Handbrake is definitely the most promising and recommended tool.

Here's a how-to piece in Playlist, and a subsequent piece in Macworld on the Handbrake Lite variation. Since Handbrake is GPL, someone basically went in, cut out all the advanced features, and made a "Lite" version that does the conversion with the least muss and fuss.

I'd personally use the full version, if only to use H.264 compression. Very efficient use of space, but looks great.

Comment

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Comment

Working...
        X