Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

We should all be thankful that law & order is breaking down slowly in the USA, as it is throughout the world. Jail sentences have become lighter, and jail circumstances have become nearly comfy with TV, Gymnasium, Basketball Courts, Weight Rooms, Hot Food, Blankets, Clothing, etc, etc.

I'm sorry for your nephew, but he is merely a small symptom of a much larger problem that is slowly brewing in America.

The USA incarcerates more people than any other nation. Except for the ridiculous War on Drugs, this reality should be viewed as a good thing. Unfortunately, 1/2 of America thinks the assailants just need more therapy, or had a tough childhood, or it's the school system fault, or some other mumbo jumbo. Meanwhile your nephew is so scared he won't even say anything to protect himself.

The criminals know this. In fact, they depend upon it.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Well this may be cause for more busses but I honestly feel that bus riders should be safely seated and not standing in a moving vehicle. If everyone had their space in a seat it would be harder for someone to assault another.

It's amazing we have a seatbelt law but when it comes to public transportation, it's okay to be unfastened while riding a bus with more mass to throw you down the aisles.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

There are certain things you need to do when using public transportation, and most of it really is common sense:

Don't have anything valuable visible (besides things like iPods, it means the expensive watches, necklaces, rings, etc.). If you have to wear a ring with fancy (expensive) stones, turn the ring so the stones are facing the inside of your palm and only the plain band part shows.

Be aware of your surroundings and the people nearby. Be especially wary on crowded buses and anyone who "bumps" into you.

Women: If you carry a purse, try to get one with straps that go across your chest; don't casually drape your purse straps over your shoulder unless you have your hand firmly on the purse because it's easy to snatch your purse if you carry it this way. Also, keep it closed tightly. If someone does try to snatch your purse, the best thing is to try to dump all of the contents on the ground. The thief will then either only grab your wallet or your cash and leave everything else behind. Don't keep your IDs and credit cards in the same place as your money (i.e., have a separate holder for your ID and credit cards and another for your cash).

On a bus, definitely try to sit up as close to the driver as possible. If getting off the bus in an isolated area at night, go to the next stop if you're by yourself and you see more than one other person standing at your stop waiting to get on the bus.

I had my purse snatched in Boston right outside my apartment once. The tips above are what I learned from the police.

Miulang

P.S,. Oh yeah, don't go into "bad" places of town at night. If you really have to, make sure all your doors are locked and your windows are rolled up. And women: don't put your purse on the front passenger seat, especially if you have that window rolled down. Anyone could reach in and snatch your purse if your car is stopped at a stopsign or traffic light.
        Last edited by Miulang; December 13, 2006, 09:25 AM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

A self-defense course that emphasizes the feet, and the fingernails, as a weapon will go a long way towards empowering individuals.

Just taking a course like that will cause you to carry yourself differently which gives subliminal messages that say "dont f w/ me". Most assailants are looking for easy targets.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post

I had my purse snatched in Boston right outside my apartment once. The tips above are what I learned from the police. Miulang.
            I got a better idea on purse snatchings. Put a grendade in your purse with a string attached to the pin and the other end tied to your finger.

Thief snatches your purse, he runs while you loudly count down from Five then duck and cover. Street justice and one less piece of garbage to walk the streets of hometown USA.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              A self-defense course that emphasizes the feet, and the fingernails, as a weapon will go a long way towards empowering individuals.

Just taking a course like that will cause you to carry yourself differently which gives subliminal messages that say "dont f w/ me". Most assailants are looking for easy targets.
              You don't even really need to take a course. When I used to go to NYC by myself and walk and take the trains around mid town (and even the Upper East Side), I just tried to look like I knew where I was going and what I was doing...basically looking straight ahead and moving fast. Criminals can kind of sense who is a potential victim by the way you carry yourself and the best targets are the people who amble around, looking up at the skyscrapers with their mouths agape.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                The USA incarcerates more people than any other nation. Except for the ridiculous War on Drugs, this reality should be viewed as a good thing. Unfortunately, 1/2 of America thinks the assailants just need more therapy, or had a tough childhood, or it's the school system fault, or some other mumbo jumbo. Meanwhile your nephew is so scared he won't even say anything to protect himself.

The criminals know this. In fact, they depend upon it.
                I'm all for bringing back corporal punishment. It's not inhumane when the person commits a crime and is convicted. We've gone too far left with the whole human rights issue.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Well this may be cause for more busses but I honestly feel that bus riders should be safely seated and not standing in a moving vehicle. If everyone had their space in a seat it would be harder for someone to assault another.

It's amazing we have a seatbelt law but when it comes to public transportation, it's okay to be unfastened while riding a bus with more mass to throw you down the aisles.
                  Come on, you mean you don't like it when it gets packed like a can of sardines? How about those 3rd world places where they even have peeps on the roofs of the buses? Maybe a discount if you ride the roof?

Maybe if we started using doubledecker buses? So you don't increase the number of vehicles clogging the road, but you do have more seats. Only prob is, I don't think our road infrastructure (traffic lights, etc.) have that built in height.

Comment

I will be more careful when I am riding "The Bus" because it is my only transportation. Thank you for the warning about not displaying your I-POD or your CD player out in the open. I always try to sit in the middle of the bus or in the front of the bus so that the bus driver can see me.
                    Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

How many times did he get punched in the face?
                      I wonder if he did know the culprits but dont want to tell because of getting more punches. If it was a class bully maybe the other people on the bus didnt want to step up either.
                      This story sort of reminds me of a kid who hung out at my shop alot. a good kid, I found out recently that someone ask him to 'borrow' his cell phone.
                      he could have jumped up and said something but instead he handed over his cell phone and didnt say anything for months. I think it might even be a reason why he dropped out of school to be homeschooled.
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

So we should all buy cars we cannot afford and clog up more of the roads just because it isn't safe to ride public transportation in Mel's opinion?? Geeze???

I'm very sorry what happened, I am almost certain one of the news stations will carry this story if your nephew is willing to talk. If he does talk it will be a good thing because if anything it will hopefully make the busdrivers and passengers more aware of what is going on around them.

I've had several problems with drivers and passengers over the years, one why do I have to at nearly 35 years of age give up my seat to a elderly passenger when there are 10 other teenagers on the bus who wont give up their seat?? Why do I have to stand and hold the railing thing with my two toddlers on a packed bus while teenagers or college students sit on their butts and dont offer seats to me or other passengers?

One day I was sitting down on the bus with a large betamachine which weighs a ton I had to take it to Sony at Mapunapuna, an elderly man asked me to give up my seat which I did and found another seat, then a handicapped person came on and told me to give up my seat, I then asked why can't these teenage kids give up their seat for the elderly man or handicapped person, why do I always have to give up my seat? The old man cussed me out, the handicap person shook his fist at me and the driver kicked me off the bus!! Three years later and 50 pounds ago I now walk everywhere I can and only take the bus if I absolutely have to. On Friday it took me over 2 hours to wait for (and arrive at my destination) a bus on School Street to take me to the Convention Center where I nearly missed the 6pm closing of the Marathon Expo. With that being said I support mass transit 100% whether it's buses, trains, ferries, etc.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                          How many times did he get punched in the face?
                          I wonder if he did know the culprits but dont want to tell because of getting more punches. If it was a class bully maybe the other people on the bus didnt want to step up either.
                          This story sort of reminds me of a kid who hung out at my shop alot. a good kid, I found out recently that someone ask him to 'borrow' his cell phone.
                          he could have jumped up and said something but instead he handed over his cell phone and didnt say anything for months. I think it might even be a reason why he dropped out of school to be homeschooled.
                          He got punched once in the face from what I understand...which was only after he struggled to hold on to the Ipod. No, he didn't know the kid. He vaguely recalls another kid on the bus saying "I think that guy goes to my school" but he didn't know that other kid either (different schools I presume).
                          By the way...I too support mass transit options.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                            If he does talk it will be a good thing because if anything it will hopefully make the busdrivers and passengers more aware of what is going on around them.

KalihiBoy
                            KalihiBoy: If he DOES decide to talk, I think it would be good as well.

People DO need to pay more attention to their surroundings whether it's on The Bus or on a side street in Waikiki. They also need to speak out when they see something happening...whether it's alerting The Bus driver by yelling, tripping the assailant as they attempt to run out of the bus, call 911 or whatever.

I agree with you that not enough younger people give up their seats to the elderly and disabled. Where is common courtesy? Or has that gone out the window even here in our beautiful state?

Comment

Being in any crowded public place puts people at risk. Being in your own vehicle you are in your own little space without having to put up with the nuances of being exposed, sometimes too closely to those in the public.

Certainly there are risks being in your own vehicle too, but if something bad happens to you, then it is only you that is effected in that vehicle. If something bad happens in a bus or train, then more people are effected.

Certainly bringing this topic up got people to think about it, even if they are opposed (as usual) to my view. I'm certainly not stopping any of the bus riders from continuing to use transit and I certainly am not forcing anyone to buy a vehicle they can't afford. To each his own. I prefer to be in my own car and from all of the traffic we have, most people prefer to be in their's too. Even the rail supporters who drive to work and public hearings to testify in favor of rail and high taxes.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                                Being in any crowded public place puts people at risk. Being in your own vehicle you are in your own little space without having to put up with the nuances of being exposed, sometimes too closely to those in the public.
                                Based on this logic, that mass transit is responsible for criminal assault, we should bring all air transportation to an end. Too much risk from terrorism. Too much potential for disaster both in the air and on the ground.

From now on everyone travels by boat. No luggage. No personal effects at all except your passport or ID. And you're handed a jumpsuit to wear on board.

And as for getting to work everyday: walk. Too many nasty auto accidents so cars are not an option. Not to mention the environmental harm they cause. And mass transit is too dangerous! Too far to walk? Too bad. Find another job.

What really happened was that this kid was a victim of a crime. Robbed and assaulted. Why blame the kid for just trying to get home? And pointing a finger at mass transit is like blaming Boeing for the 9/11 tragedy, saying they built planes that are too large and too powerful.

People have a right to go through life unmolested. Where were all the people around this poor victim when it happened? Why didn't anyone intervene immediately and prevent the attack or at least detain the perps? Go after the instigators and make them pay. Better still, catch these guys in the act and beat the living cr__ out of them on the spot. Make them understand what a victim goes through by turning the tables on them.

After all, the justice system will probably give them a proverbial slap on the wrist. Better to give them a few scars as a permanent souvenir.

Comment

Working...
                                X