Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

My 15 yr. old nephew was assaulted and robbed last week while riding "The Bus" home from school (near the University) to the Pearl Harbor area. This was the 2nd time someone attempted to steal his IPOD. This time the culprit succeeded after punching my nephew in the face. My nephew suffered 2 dangling front teeth and broken facial bones. The sad thing is that NOT ONE PERSON got "The Bus" driver's attention so that he could stop the bus and call the police. (My nephew was in such a daze and he recalls someone saying that THEY were calling the police on their cell phone but no police ever met up with The Bus). My poor nephew had to ride the bus to his stop and got off to call my brother-in-law to pick him up and take him to Tripler ER. He was in such a daze that he can't even recall which stop the culprit jumped off. One lesson to be learned: don't sit near the back exit. Another: don't display your IPOD on the bus.

When my brother-in-law attempted to make a police report the following day, the dispatcher wouldn't send someone to take the report because my nephew wasn't with my brother-in-law and my nephew is too scared to make a report. Neither The Bus Customer Service nor HPD have reports of the robbery/assault being called in on the day that it occurred.

The first time he got assaulted was earlier in the year. The bus driver WAS aware of what was going on but threw both my nephew and the assailant off the bus even though my nephew was trying to tell him that the guy he was fighting off was trying to steal his IPOD.

I'm so angry at the lack of aloha displayed on The Bus for my nephew...that no one helped him either time and that these scumbags will likely continue to do what they are doing because NO ONE is stopping them!!

Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

He was probably using the stock white earbuds. If so, then thieves will always know you have some expensive audio player (I believe Sony's PSP also has white earbuds).

I myself have a $20 pair of headphones I use with my MP3 player, and I don't hold it in my hand - I carry it in my pocket.

I'm sorry that your nephew got assaulted, but that's a daily thing in New York and other places with mass transit.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
      He was probably using the stock white earbuds. If so, then thieves will always know you have some expensive audio player (I believe Sony's PSP also has white earbuds).

I myself have a $20 pair of headphones I use with my MP3 player, and I don't hold it in my hand - I carry it in my pocket.

I'm sorry that your nephew got assaulted, but that's a daily thing in New York and other places with mass transit.
      Yep...I know that it is a daily thing elsewhere. Worried about my elderly parents who will be coming out here next week. I know that they will be afraid to take THe Bus now even though they always try to sit up in the front.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
        The first time he got assaulted was earlier in the year. The bus driver WAS aware of what was going on but threw both my nephew and the assailant off the bus even though my nephew was trying to tell him that the guy he was fighting off was trying to steal his IPOD.
        You need to contact the Mayor's office for follow up, and the Chief of Police, and the Director of Dept of Transportation Services. If what you say is the whole story, it indicates that there needs to be better training provided to drivers of TheBus, and policies put in place so that TheBus has improved communication with the police when assaults are happening. Don't let this go by - you need to help so that people, like your nephew, are not victimized again!

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
          You need to contact the Mayor's office for follow up, and the Chief of Police, and the Director of Dept of Transportation Services. If what you say is the whole story, it indicates that there needs to be better training provided to drivers of TheBus, and policies put in place so that TheBus has improved communication with the police when assaults are happening. Don't let this go by - you need to help so that people, like your nephew, are not victimized again!
          I had thought about doing that and hoped that my nephew would cooperate but he's too scared. Without his cooperation, I can't even get enough info on which bus route, exact time, etc. I even thought about calling up a news station but if they can't talk to him directly, I doubt that they'll do anything.

Comment

Last edited by SouthKona; December 12, 2006, 10:05 PM. Reason: duplicate posting

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
              I had thought about doing that and hoped that my nephew would cooperate but he's too scared. Without his cooperation, I can't even get enough info on which bus route, exact time, etc.
              His parents (or guardian) need to get involved. They can speak on his behalf. If a parent has the details, the parent can do everything needed to place a complaint and demand change - it is up to the adults to take charge, it does not fall on a minor child. You've take the first step in helping by bringing it up here, now take the second step and get his parents involved. They need to do everything possible to protect the safety of their child.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
                His parents (or guardian) need to get involved. They can speak on his behalf. If a parent has the details, the parent can do everything needed to place a complaint and demand change - it is up to the adults to take charge, it does not fall on a minor child. You've take the first step in helping by bringing it up here, now take the second step and get his parents involved. They need to do everything possible to protect the safety of their child.
                I agree...and it irks me that they aren't doing more EVEN IF the son won't cooperate or can't provide details and EVEN IF a lowly person at HPD says that they can't make a report without the son's cooperation. My sis and brother-in-law are both highly educated and my brother-in-law has law enforcement and political contacts due to his employment but they are both "so busy". Brother-in-law is out of the country right now with his work so can't do anything. I would be calling everyone I could possibly call if it was MY KID...and not take "no" for an answer.

Comment

Crimes such as this is another good reason to be opposed to mass transit. You are much safer against the assault of criminals if you ride in your own vehicle. Mass transit vehicles are potential targets for criminals and terrorists.

Years ago when I was on TheBus, a fight broke out in the bus. Fortunately in our case the people hollered, the big burly bus driver stopped the vehicle and promptly kicked off the two fighters.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    Crimes such as this is another good reason to be opposed to mass transit. You are much safer against the assault of criminals if you ride in your own vehicle. Mass transit vehicles are potential targets for criminals and terrorists.

Years ago when I was on TheBus, a fight broke out in the bus. Fortunately in our case the people hollered, the big burly bus driver stopped the vehicle and promptly kicked off the two fighters.
                    Now you're just trying to turn this event into an argument for something else.

How about all the car thefts every year? Or attempted car jackings? If the driver on TheBus did the right thing, or even fellow passengers. If TheBus has installed CC tv that records and many metro buses have that these days, the police could use the footage and broadcast a lookout for this suspect on tv. I'm surprised that given TheBus's organization size, they don't even have transit police.

Alohacandy, maybe when your nephew gets over the trauma, it would be easier to get him and the parents to report this to the police and especially to TheBus.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                      Now you're just trying to turn this event into an argument for something else.
                      It's still something to think about.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

and H-1, oftimes a parking lot of idling cars, wouldn't be a target as well? *mumbles to self*

i have been the almost-victim of molesters on the bus. the worst was when i was a teen, one guy (who i didn't realize was apparently eyeing me on the bus) followed me home, put his hand in my butt crack, then ran away.

i agree w/mr. joshuatree. OTS should be doing more to ensure the safety of its passengers. then more people would be encouraged to ride, incl me.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Crimes such as this is another good reason to be opposed to mass transit.
                          I'm sorry, Mel, but that is a ridiculous stretch to make. Under this logic, we should also oppose public gatherings, such as concerts (just watch 'em on TV) or the Honolulu City Lights displays (the pictures on the internet are good enough) or political rallies (well --- that's not a bad idea.) What about churches? "When two or more are gathered in my name...someone might get their pocket picked."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            "When two or more are gathered in my name...someone might get their pocket picked."
                            But they do get pocket picked when they pass around those donation baskets and give you the guilt trip.

Comment

Perhaps the two fighters were fighting because one was trying to steal the other's IPOD. In my nephew's case (the first incident), they were both thrown off when my nephew was fighting off the person trying to steal his IPOD.

Comment

Working...
                              X