Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have you met someone famous?

addendum:

John and Bo Derek, Johnathan Winters, Robert Mitchum, Diane Keaton, Robert Schimmel, (comedian) Calvin and Kelly Klein, Kathy Ireland, Burl Ives, (folk singer) Ringo Starr, Richard Keil, (Jaws; 007) Ben Chapman, (Creature from the Black lagoon). Tom Sellek, Arnold Schwarzenegger and his wife Marie Shriver, James Stewart, Josh Brolin, (star and son o James, 'course...) Chick Hearn, (sportscaster) Ian and Will, (singer and guitarist; Echo and the Bunnymen), Michael Douglas, Annie Potts, (actress) Neil Simon (playwright), Fess Parker, (winery owner, Davey Crockett and Daniel Boone.) Barbara Eden, (I dream of genie) Jane Russell, Tommy Corrigan, (restaurant owner and he's in the film industry still and is son of Ray "Crash" Corrigan early Western Cowboy star), The Chantays, (met /partied with all the members. They were original surf band, did "Pipeline")

(Backstory: I was just reading the Honolulu Weekly and some journalist writes she was asked by a friend if she wanted to go to a concert; She inquired "who's playing" which of course, you know the rest; abbott and costello routine redux...
    "The Who" was the answer.
    She queries:
    "who is the who!?"
    sheesh! do I feel old.
    thusly, I added info after some of the names above...)
    Last edited by kimo55; August 13, 2004, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      addendum:
      how can I forget:
      Haji
      One o da three chicks in "Faster Pussycat, Kill, Kill" and "Motorspycho"
      We spent some time together back in the day...

Comment

Re: Have you meet someone famous?

Originally posted by Leimamo
        ...However, if a bartender remembers which type of drink I normally ordered, I'd take that as a clue that I'm spending way too much time at the bar and not with the people who are important to me - my ohana.

well, back in the 80's I suppose a few bartenders coulda been considered part of my ohana; they sure made me feel important.
        Used to hang at Spago's just up on Horn, off Sunset back in the day Wolfgang's place was part of the golden triangle, along with "Le Dome" and anodda one right there..
        The moment I crossed that threshold, the barkeep had my Bombay Blue Saphirre Gin and Tonic waiting for me. He would just be finishing it and hand it to me as I set belly to bar.
        Which reminds me; Jerry Brown was a regular then, as was toooo many "names' to remember who we would rub shoulders with. Jerry and I talked a while. Very nice fella.
        This is funny;
        Some woman all of a sudden, got sick and rushed to the door, Jerry bolted from our conversation and helped her just outside the front door at the steps, while she... well... how can I say this politely? Yelled at the concrete. Called the dinosaurs. Hacked at her dead husband Ralph. Gave us a technicolor yawn. Painted the pavement. Popped her cookies. Yes. Upchucked.
        That Jerry. Such a gentleman!
        After that nite, he got my vote. And I certainly hope that woman's too!

Anyway...
        The bar area was smallish, cozy and you couldn't help but start a conversation with Stallone, and other "B" list names.
        "A" list would sweep right in, no waiting.
        So often we would be talking with incredibly striking, stunningly gorgeous, exotic women for a while and later learn they were, for example, say.. a member of the Kashoggi family, or an oil arab sheik's wife or girlfriend...
        Last edited by kimo55; August 14, 2004, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Yes, but it doesn't make me a better person

Comment

When I was a schoolkid on Maui we did a field trip to Maui County Office, I met Linda Lingle...
            Ran into Magic Johnson on Kaanaapali beach!
            Met Leonard Maltin (movie reviewer) having pizza with his family at a Kihei pizza hut...I was all like "hey arent you that movie review guy" and hes like "hi *shakes hands* hehe cool guy...he didnt want to talk but he didnt mind his dinner interrupted...
            Met Jason Scott Lee at a shop in Kailua! He was with his girlfriend, had just been to the beach or something...he was pretty cool guy...to bad he hasn't done much movies lately eh? Dragon was good...and Jungle book
            Oh I've shook hands with Mufi Hanneman...dunno if hes a celebrity yet...unless he wins the mayoral race? Looks kinda tight with Bainums poll lead...
            Oh oh and Alicia Silverstone...well she waved too me in a crowd...hehe
            Last edited by hanai; August 16, 2004, 01:23 AM.

Comment

he's a heck of a nice guy. hard to believe "He tried to sell me an autographed picture".
              I chalk that up to Mr. Kiel just doing his job on behalf of the promoter. Did not take anything personal. He is nice.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                He tried to sell me an autographed picture but I passed. He did let me take his pic with my digital camera.
                I chalk that up to Mr. Kiel just doing his job on behalf of the promoter. Did not take anything personal. He is nice.

s'just that i was hanging with the dude for a little while and didn't appear to me he was making any pointed attempt to sell his pics and autographs. To TRY to sell anything. I think the dude has more class than that. In fact i know he does.
                Rather, I saw him offer it to those that exhibited an interest. And only then. (How they gonna know what's goin on there, unless he speaks up?)
                Now, instead of taking a picture with yer own camera, he could offer an upgrade; something hopefully seen as better, in your eyes; an autographed glossy photo.

...can't blame him if he was implying "hey dude, support the cause and get something better, An autographed 8x10 of any of my characters. instead of gettin a freebie with yer own camera..."
                ...maybe he took THAT personal.

Comment

Just stumbled on this thread, and coincidentally, the only famous person I ever met was Mike Sakamoto of "Fishing Tales" at a pog show in 1996. Still have his signed pog!

Comment

I did meet Mark Hamill ...

Comment

I met the president of the Philippines. Does that count? She's short as...

Comment

The moment I crossed that threshold, the barkeep had my Bombay Blue Saphirre Gin and Tonic waiting for me.
                        That's what the barista at Starbucks does when we walk in. Except it's usually two Venti Mocha Frappuccino with an extra shot, one Caramel Frappuccino with extra sauce and one Double Squeeze.
                        Send POI

Comment

Originally posted by Leimamo
                          That's what the barista at Starbucks does when we walk in. Except it's usually two Venti Mocha Frappuccino with an extra shot, one Caramel Frappuccino with extra sauce and one Double Squeeze.

oh yeaaa, bay uh bee! Coffee! almost as important to have that at the ready as
                          al key hall!

Comment

I guess you can say my most treasured "famous" meeting was Barry Manilow (stop the snickers! ) I'm a huge fan, been so since I was little. I've met him several times at album signings -- but 9/4/1993 -- I was the "Can't Smile Girl" that he picked from his audience at a concert in Atlantic City, NJ (those of you that have seen his show before -- he picks one girl from the audience nightly to sing with him).

Hmmm, met a few local Philadelphia sports celebrities.

Oh yea, Barry Flanagan from HAPA a few times. I'm sure there's more to add here.
                            ~Aloha! Christina~
                            Greek by heritage, Australian by birth, American by chance, Hawaiian at heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanikaibabe
                              I guess you can say my most treasured "famous" meeting was Barry Manilow (stop the snickers! )

I will refrain from snickering long enuff to welcome da newcomer! hahzeet!?

wheah from lanikai you hail from?
                              I spent many fun years there smawkeetime
                              late 60's

Comment

I will refrain from snickering long enuff to welcome da newcomer! hahzeet!?

wheah from lanikai you hail from?
                                I spent many fun years there smawkeetime
                                late 60's
                                hey, Kimo -- thanks for da welcome! I hail from the mainland, Philadelphia, PA to be exact. You can return to snickering now
                                ~Aloha! Christina~
                                Greek by heritage, Australian by birth, American by chance, Hawaiian at heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X