iPod accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod accessories

iPod accessories have become a huge product category unto themselves. Docks, cases, speakers, chargers, FM transmitters... whew! I'm thinking of giving iPod accessories as Christmas gifts for friends, but am leery of getting stuff that doesn't actually help. What iPod accessories have you used and liked? Which ones really work well, and which ones were duds?

Re: iPod accessories

I had a PodFreq for my 3g iPod and loved it. It doesn't fit my 5g iPod and I haven't replaced it with one that does! Still it's been my favorite accessory. Oh wait...it's been my only accessory!

iTunes Store gift cards might also be a welcomed gift.

Comment

Depending on how much you're spending. the iHome is great. it's a desktop clock radio/ipod dock. good sound cheap price $99

iHome H5
      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
        Depending on how much you're spending. the iHome is great. it's a desktop clock radio/ipod dock. good sound cheap price $99

iHome H5
        It's a great idea but I bought 2 and the iPod dock stopped working on both within about 6 months. Dayam...I really liked them!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          It's a great idea but I bought 2 and the iPod dock stopped working on both within about 6 months. Dayam...I really liked them!
          really that sucks. i hope mine doesn't go out

but isn't there a 1yr warranty? have you tried getting them replaced?
          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
            [...]but isn't there a 1yr warranty? have you tried getting them replaced?
            IIRC, it's a 90 day warranty. The info is in the office and I'm at home so I can't verify. I haven't contacted the company yet. I bought both at Costco earlier this year so will probably just try to return them there first.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
              I'm thinking of giving iPod accessories as Christmas gifts for friends, but am leery of getting stuff that doesn't actually help.
              Nice gifts... I think everyone needs a friend like you...

But how would you know if that person might or might not have supposed accessory w/out asking them first? This is the primary my friends get Gift Certificates...

Comment

Glen...have you checked out ipodlounge.com? I love that site and couldn't find it mentioned on HT. And, yes, I'm assuming you're already aware of gift certificates (who isn't?!) and know what accessories your friends have!

Comment

I like our Monster iCarPlay (we have two, actually) for in-car listening and charging. We had two iTrips and one died and the other was too weak to use.

I also have a very basic Kensington "Stereo Dock for iPod" (I don't think it's a current offering anymore), which basically charges and connects our iPods to our home stereo system.

I've always wanted a speaker system... the mm50 was on my short list, as was the JBL On Stage, but now that I've seen the Altec Lansing IM9, I think that's what I'd get (if, you know, I had the money). Good sound, runs on a battery, and feels sturdy as heck.

But perhaps a neat accessory for an iPod lover would be... another iPod? The snazzy, teeny new 1GB iPod Shuffles are now out for $79. When you don't want to haul around your big, sexy video iPod, it might be the perfect spare.

Comment

My 40GB 4G iPod Photo came with a firewire dock that is always connected to my Mac. I bought another dock for that iPod which I use to connect to my home stereo and take with me to the office and connect to powered speakers there. Another good accessory to have is the AC adapter which allows charging and playing the 4G iPod through the dock when it is connected to something other than the computer. I think the AC adapter will be used for long time as my 4G iPod is relegated to home or office use only long after the internal battery loses its ability to charge itself. I also have one of those Griffin iMic wireless transmitters and I haven't been too impressed by it.

For on the go use I have 2 1st generation iPod Shuffles which share a common dock connected to the same Mac for song transfer and recharging. The AC adapter that I use with the iPod above can also be directly connected to any of the iPod Shuffles to allow for off computer recharging. I also bought a cheap wired iPod to radio transmitter that plugs into my car's cigarette lighter thing which allows music to stream on 88.7 FM. That is probably the accessory I use the most for the Shuffle since that always goes with me wherever I drive.

Lastly I recently bought an external iPod Shuffle battery pack that allows the iPod to run on external triple A batteries after the internal battery goes out. This hopefully will prolong the use of the iPod Shuffle beyond the sad and inevitable time after the non-replaceable internal battery fails to ever charge again.

If there is one thing I would wish Apple would offer is an iPod with user friendly, replaceable batteries, much like how they have it for the many tiny digital cameras out there.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      If there is one thing I would wish Apple would offer is an iPod with user friendly, replaceable batteries, much like how they have it for the many tiny digital cameras out there.
                      No one has figured out how to open them? I know when the Palm V came out some people figured out how to open them - with a hair dryer. As popular as iPods are, I'd think someone would figure out how to replace the batteries.

Comment

Sendstation Makes some neat little products. I personally want one of the firewire/audio out Pocket Dock's that they sell.
                        -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          But perhaps a neat accessory for an iPod lover would be... another iPod? The snazzy, teeny new 1GB iPod Shuffles are now out for $79. When you don't want to haul around your big, sexy video iPod, it might be the perfect spare.
                          Yep, I bought my 2nd generation iPod shuffle from the Apple Store a few days ago. It's so small that I've been leaving it connected to a set of headphones so I won't misplace it.
                          Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Working...
                          X