"Heroes" on NBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Heroes" on NBC

I swear, I've got "LOST" on the brain. There are lots of shows that are derivative of "LOST," of course, but whether or not it was intentional, there were several echoes of ABC's sci-fi series in NBC's effort here.

Characters from different backgrounds and regions brought together unexpectedly but demonstrating several crossover points in their history. Distinct character types: analytical Middle Eastarn man (Sayid/Mohinder), tough but sexy lady likely on the run for murder (Kate/Niki), self-doubting cheerleader blonde with parent issues (Shannon/Claire), Asian male with subtitles (Jin/Hiro), conflicted artist with a drug problem (Charlie/Isaac), and it goes on and on... a kid, a reluctant hero, a tough, kick-butt brunette... mysterious powers, conspiracies, and there's even a comic book that'll likely prove central to the story.

Of course, one thing that seems apparent in "Heroes" that we don't have in "LOST" is the willingness to get the basic mysteries out there quickly. If "Heroes" were really following the "LOST" model, it'd be Season 2 before the comic book showed up, Season 3 before the armageddon painting, and Season 4 before the different "heroes" formed a distinct group and worked together. Instead, looks like they're going to skip a lot of wandering around and get to the basic arc quickly.

At least until the show takes off and they need to suddenly fill four seasons.

Understanding we saw the pilot, and not a typical episode, I can't pick on some things... like continuity problems (it seems they filmed two different Mohinder's dad's apartment scenes but used both), extensive exposition, and stilted dialogue. This stuff gets ironed out in any show as it hits its stride.

So, as a "pitch," I liked it. I liked the reveal about Claire's family, about the two brothers, and I liked Hiro's character (although the argument about sameness and being Japanese was pretty contrived). Some I don't care for yet, but it's hard to judge in one episode. The armageddon painting was okay, but it seemed very "Dead Zone" to me... so I hope it's not the arc of the whole series, perhaps just the first season (if even that).
    Last edited by pzarquon; September 27, 2006, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I didn't watch the first episode but I did watch the second one tonight. Hiro's power of bending space and time takes a while to get used to but it sort of makes sense. There is time for him to try and figure out what's going on to prevent what's going to happen 5 weeks in the future.

Is Claire's foster dad the bad guy in this series?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        Is Claire's foster dad the bad guy in this series?
        So far, that's what we are led to believe. Would be a good twist that he turns out to be a good guy like Cobra Bubbles from Lilo and Stitch.
        You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

Interestingly, like "Smith," I wasn't entirely sold on this show after the premiere. But episode two was good enough that "Heroes" will have a good perch in my TiVo's watchlist. I mentioned earlier that, unlike "LOST," "Heroes" doesn't seem to be wasting any time getting to the mysteries, and I feel even more strongly that this show will have a pretty good pace. It almost feels like a miniseries rather than a full series.

The characters are developing nicely, and even the ones I didn't care much for in episode one are starting to warm on me. I like that the "bad guy" has a dual life and has an opportunity to be more than just relentlessly menacing. I like that the heroes all have differing attitudes about their powers, from glee to shame to fear. I thought Hiro's twist last night was especially cool, again taking us to the "end" then yanking us back to see if they can change their apparent destiny.

By the way, if you miss "Heroes" in its regular slot on Monday nights, apparently the SciFi channel will re-air them Fridays.

Comment

Question regarding Niki's powers (the one from Vegas)...

What exactly are her powers? I know she has her alter ego in the mirror, but what kind of power is that? Wanting things to happen and then having her alter ego make it happen IRL?

And the LA cop. Was he introduced in Episode 1 or was last night the first time we saw him?

This one also earns a place in my DVR!
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what Niki's "power" is, either. Seems your conventional split personality setup to me. If her "mirror-alter" was doing things parallel to her "normal" self, that would be interesting. But since she keeps losing time and turning up in odd places, it's more like she's messing with herself. That's not a "power," that's a dysfunction!

And yes, last night was our first encounter with the cop. Interesting that he was taken into custody, but that'd be the most realistic result of what he otherwise miraculously did. Hiro's in trouble, too, and Niki's surely on her way. Definitely not the conventional superhero setup!

Comment

By the way the cop with the power is played by Greg Grunberg. Used to be the pilot of the ill-fated Oceanic Airways flight 815 on the series Lost. And in the series Alias.

Hiro's trouble with the law ended when he was able to return to October 2, so I suppose he has enough time to resolve the problem with Issac being killed. However could he, Issac and everyone else they encounter prevent the events of November 9th from happening?

Comment

I'm getting weird vibes from Mohinder's female neighbor (the one who called his dad 'Papa'). I just get the feeling that she's one of "the bad people" like Claire's adopted dad.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

When I saw the 4-minute trailer for Heroes a few months ago, I was really looking forward to this show. After 2 episodes, I thoroughly enjoy it, but I've been wondering if that's because I wanted to like it so much. It's reassuring to read many others like it too.

Fans may want to check out http://www.heroes-forum.com. It looks like an official site that's gone through great lengths to look like a non-affiliated fan site. There's way too much stuff there for it to be just a fan site. If you go to the HEROES GALLERY section, there are close to 1300 screenshots from the past 2 episodes, and over 20 from episodes that haven't aired yet. There's also a WEEKLY ONLINE COMICS section which appears to be supplemental storyline to the stuff we see on TV. Good stuff there, but not enough of it. Worth taking a look.

(note: I'm not affiliated with that site in any way. I'm just a fan of the show.)

Comment

I fell asleep watching it, I was so tired. I downloaded it and watched it and I liked the ending. It was a nice twist.
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

This is another interesting show this season....there are too many to keep up with now with these potential new faves, thank goodness NBC & ABC broadcast the shows online...I am going to have spend a whole day over the wknd just catching up on the shows I like every wknd
                        I am curious to see how Heroes will play out- was the druggie character frozen as well like the father of the little girl the cop found (both appear to be missing their brains in the same way)?
                        Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

I don't Issac's (the druggie) body was frozen, just the top of his head in one place, the body with a brain a foot away and some blood on the floor and the gun and some blood some distance away.

Comment

You know what this means... Zombie Iceman Villain!

brainnnnns.. unghhhhh.....
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

That's funny Hellbent...

Reminded me of another line from a Zombie movie -"Your brain smells so rich and spicy-let me have it, i'm the one who loves you" that one always cracks me up
                              Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

I had the impression that Hiro's friend/co-worker could speak English? If so how come he didn't call Issac instead of Hiro speaking to Issac in Japanese which Issac seems not to understand.

And Claire, I wonder how she going to fix herself up as it was soon at the end of the episode?

Comment

Working...
                                X