laptop recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: laptop recommendation?

thanks again for the info. that's odd, tho, the thing you mentioned about connecting to the web. i bought my wife's lenovo laptop and it was easy to set up and she's always been able to get to the web. still, i remember what you said in case i run into trouble.

and dick, hi! long time no see! yeah, i hear what you're saying. at home and at work, i've used pcs and macs and honestly, i like both. in the early years, macs were definitely more intuitive but pcs eventually followed the mac's lead and now they're both pretty similar. so far, i've been pretty lucky with pcs and i hope that streak continues
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      HP/Compaq's have one problem and that's the backlight on the LCD display. They seem to go out earlier than others (including Dell).
      I asked our laptop expert, she didn't think they went out that much. But again, this is for business class units, not that Pavilion stuff.

If you buy a laptop talk to the techies that fix laptops and ask them which brand they would recommend based on ease of repair.
      Well, to the extent that some units are very difficult to repair, I would consider that. But most people buy computers for themselves, not the repair techs. Back when I used to do PC repair, Toshiba was not my favorite because it had so many braces and what not inside. But it was a solid unit.

But something to consider is who will service the laptop. I'd suggest finding someone who's experienced with that brand. If you can't find someone local, you'll have to send it away. That can be a problem if you've become very dependent on the unit.

Run into a guy the other night who has used quite a few laptops. He's a Toshiba fan. Second is HP. I've gone though a few HPs at work. For me it's the drive that finally dies, not the display.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post

Run into a guy the other night who has used quite a few laptops. He's a Toshiba fan. Second is HP. I've gone though a few HPs at work. For me it's the drive that finally dies, not the display.

hmmmm. if you have the time, would you ask him what specific toshiba model he'd recommend for someone like me? thanks!
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

For me it's the drive that finally dies, not the display.
          Hard drives are relatively easy to replace on a laptop and modestly inexpensive compared to displays.

I agree that I think for the money Toshiba gives you the best bang for the buck. Most of the Toshiba laptops I've worked on use Toshiba HDD's while the Dells I've repaired use either Fujitsu or Hitachi Travelstar HDD's. I'm still trying to figure out how to unlock a 60Gb Hitachi Travelstar notebook hard drive.

I'm not sure why HP/Compaq displays go out sooner than later (the backlight goes out) but because I've heard and seen it happen more than once I tend to shy away from HP/Compaq as displays can cost a bundle.

On a positive note on HP/Compaq, they're relatively easy to work on regarding the lower half. They come apart easier than Dells and Toshiba's with their lower halves having easy access to optical drives.

Dells once the lower half is taken off allows for easy access to the CPU but getting to the optical drives is a bitch.

So here's my recommendation on non-Mac laptops:

1) for ease of repair buy HP/Compaq
          2) for great pricing but crappy customer support buy Dell
          3) for reliability buy Toshiba

I don't like Acer, Gateway or Sony Viao.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

hey craig, do you have a specific toshiba model you'd recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
              hey craig, do you have a specific toshiba model you'd recommend?
              No as I don't fix current models out there, only older broken ones. Sorry. But like automobiles it all comes down to service after the sale, so really find the best customer service or support services for any particular brand of computer.

When I resigned to buy my boy a Dell Inspirion 5160 laptop a few years ago I opted to buy the three year extended service plan (almost $300). That purchase made it a whole lot easier when I needed to get it fixed (before I could do it myself) than if I hadn't purchased the plan. It seems Dell's customer service agents (some guy named Bob from Indonesia it seems) treat you like royalty if you buy into their extended warranty. But if you don't, they'd rather be tending to their goat.

If possible buy locally so you have a face to scream at instead of a telephone receiver when the damned thing breaks.

Comment

ha! okay, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                  hmmmm. if you have the time, would you ask him what specific toshiba model he'd recommend for someone like me? thanks!
                  I would, but I only see him about once a month. All I can say was his unit was remarkably thin and light - but it even had a DVD burner in it. Smallest transport I've ever seen.

I'm still trying to figure out how to unlock a 60Gb Hitachi Travelstar notebook hard drive.
                  <sigh> I'm in the same situation. Apparently it was on it's side when the laptop went into power save mode and now the drive is mechanically locked. It won't spin up. Won't talk to the BIOS.

Comment

<sigh> I'm in the same situation. Apparently it was on it's side when the laptop went into power save mode and now the drive is mechanically locked. It won't spin up. Won't talk to the BIOS.
                    You'd think it should be a simple jumper setting to unlock it. I sure hate to toss out a 60gig notebook hd.

Comment

I would, but I only see him about once a month. All I can say was his unit was remarkably thin and light - but it even had a DVD burner in it. Smallest transport I've ever seen.
                      so i assume you're saying that he'd recommend the laptop that he has? anyway, i'm not in a big rush so if you can remember (maybe i should sent you a private message in a month?) to ask him when you see him in about a month, that'd be great.

Comment

Is it like this one? Touted as being thin and light.

Comment

Nice laptop for playing HD-DVDs, but Qosmios aren't very bag friendly.
                          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

I would think the Mac Air would be very difficult to carry around as well being so wide yet thin.

One day they'll come up with the first roll up laptop

Comment

cough! uh, that totally blows my budget!

Is it like this one? Touted as being thin and light.

Comment

One day they'll come up with the first roll up laptop
                                Hmm. Fabric keyboard. Membrane LCD. Flash drive. Flexible solar panel. I think we're almost there.
                                "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                                X