Poll discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll discussion

One thing I can't fathom out is that sometimes someone will make a poll on HawaiiThreads and for some unknown reason gives a poll a limited time to be open.

I am kind of wondering why this is so?

By the way if anyone wants to discuss about polls in general in HawaiiThreads (like writing polls, taking a poll, etc), this is the thread for it.
    Last edited by helen; December 2, 2009, 10:24 PM.

Re: Poll discussion

Some polls may have a limit due to the timeliness of the topic at hand. For example a political poll. You want to take the pulse of the readership for a specific time, like maybe a week before an election or a few days before the legislature votes on a controversial issue.

Time limits for polls don't bother me.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      One thing I can't fathom out is that sometimes someone will make a poll on HawaiiThreads and for some unknown reason gives a poll a limited time to be open.

By the way if anyone wants to discuss about polls in general in HawaiiThreads (like writing polls, taking a poll, etc), this is the thread for it.
      Hmmm...let's have a poll
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Hmmm...let's have a poll
        Better yet, let's have a poll dancer.
        Gather those dollar bills, boys.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Better yet, let's have a poll dancer.
          Gather those dollar bills, boys.
          I'm in! I'm in!!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hmm. I was dancing around to the hold music in my cube today and the guy next to me offered me a few $1's and pointed out there was a pole not too far away.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Oh, you know.... because we can!

Good point though, a random poll like mine about stretching has no reason to close - as interest wanes it will likely close on it's own - unless... Unless it's resurrected years later by a newbie and comes back to haunt us!

K
              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
              ~ ~
              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                as interest wanes it will likely close on it's own
                A thread does not close on it's own. Only the admin or the moderator can close a thread, not a regular user.

To clarify, a thread can be in one of four possible states:
                1. open, everyone can read and reply to it
                2. closed, everyone can read but not reply to it, only admin and moderator can reply to it
                3. moderated, only the admin/moderator can read it.
                4. soft delete, no one can read it, but the admin/moderator can undelete it and put in one of other three states.

There is also a hard delete but once that is done, it can't be undone.

As far as how poll lifetimes and the status of a thread goes. Once a poll expires, the thread attached to it is still open.

On the other hand when the thread is closed by the admin/moderator, more than likey the poll will be closed as well (either automatically by the vBulletin software or it's just another action that needs to be done).

Comment

A thread does not close on it's own. Only the admin or the moderator can close a thread, not a regular user.

To clarify, a thread can be in one of four possible states:
                  1. open, everyone can read and reply to it
                  2. closed, everyone can read but not reply to it, only admin and moderator can reply to it
                  3. moderated, only the admin/moderator can read it.
                  4. soft delete, no one can read it, but the admin/moderator can undelete it and put in one of other three states.

There is also a hard delete but once that is done, it can't be undone.

As far as how poll lifetimes and the status of a thread goes. Once a poll expires, the thread attached to it is still open.

On the other hand when the thread is closed by the admin/moderator, more than likey the poll will be closed as well (either automatically by the vBulletin software or it's just another action that needs to be done).
                  Wow! I'd have to go to moderator school just to understand all that!

Maybe I "should have" said: "Until interest wanes to the point where nobody pays attention any more."

Thanks! I guess it's good for us to know all that stuff.

K
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

As this is an election year I would to make the following suggestions on creating polls that deal with the various political races that will be coming out.

1) Please let the poll close either on primary election day or on general election day.
                    2) If possible please add choices "undecided at this time" and "I don't reside in the district", that way the poll would have a greater usage from all of the users of HawaiiThreads but not skew the results on the other choices.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    (As a non-Honolulu resident, I can not vote in the election, so I won't skew this poll either with an outsider's vote.)

Comment

I would to make the following suggestions on creating polls that deal with the various political races that will be coming out.

1) Please let the poll close either on primary election day or on general election day.
                      For the lesser races (i.e. the state house of representatives), this is probably a good suggestion. However in the major races such as the U.S. President, Honolulu Mayor, etc., I don’t think this is reasonable.

No poll in the history of polling allows this lengthy an amount of time for a poll to stay open — primarily because people often change their mind after a significant events in politics (i.e. news that Colleen Hanabusa lives in a different district then she represents, revelations that Mitt Romney tied his dog to the top of the family station wagon when the Romneys went on vacation, Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s inability to remember what federal departments he wants to shut down when questioned in a debate, etc.).

This is the reason polls taken by professional polling firms such as Gallup, Inc., Rassmussen Reports, LLC, or even Hawai‘i’s very own SMS Research use a very short time frame for their polling results — typically a week or less.

Hopefully, this sheds a bit more light on why a poll must remain open for a short period of time (i.e. no more than 60 days) in order to remain relevant to current events.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

1) Maybe the person posting the pole is looking for a result in order to help themselves form an opinion (time sensitive)
                        2) Maybe the topic is evolving, and after a certain amount of time a new, fresh poll should be started if anyone is interested in doing so
                        3) Maybe the person posting the poll is not interested in baby-sitting the pole for more than a certain amount of time (thread starter's discretion)
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                        X