Maui Activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maui Activities

Thought I'd start the discussion on the Best Maui activities.

Maui is home to a huge tourist industry with countless tours and and activities to keep people busy. Some of them are great, and others are really bad. Although, even the bad ones may be good for some people.

I'll open the discussion with the Road to Hana. This is one of the biggest destinations on the island. I recommend doing your research before taking this long trip. There are a lot of do's and don'ts that will make your drive better.

Some companies offer Coach tours so you don't have to drive yourself.
    You can also get a Road to Hana CD to help guide you when driving.

There are 4 main categories for Hawaii activities. Please continue this thread about any of the following:

Air Tours, Ocean Activities, Land Activities, and Nightlife/Shows.
    Share your Hawaii Photos and videos for free at HawaiiPhotography.com

Re: Maui Activities

ohhhh - I'll pick up with the ocean activities. I think one of the best bangs for your buck is America's Cup (out of Lahaina). Of course, I love sailing so that's a given for me. But it is one of the cheaper activities and a great way to experience sailing if you've never been.

To me, the snorkel trips are all pretty much the same. But the Ocean Pacific Whale Foundation does a good job in trying to educate the public on enviromental issues. And at least part of the money goes to a good cause.

With any of the ocean activities, you want to go in the morning as the water gets choppy when the trades pick up. So, you want to avoid the cheaper "afternoon" trips.

The diving is great on Maui - but you need to be certified. There are many different operations on the island. I don't want to bash any particular outfit, but I, myself prefer some of the smaller operations. They all charge about the same.

Another very interesting excursion is Blue Water Rafting. It is not for the faint of heart. It takes you around to La Perouse Bay. On a good day, the waves can be 15 ft. But if that doesn't bother you, I definitely reccomend it.

And then there is the beach. I live in Kihei so I am partial to the Kams (Kamaole I, II & III). Some of the best beaches in the world ( and I've been to many). One thing that does bother me is seeing people who have never been to the ocean and treat it like they are at a lake. Way too many people have gotten hurt or killed that way. I think tourists should have to have a crash course in swimming in the ocean just as they would in handling a boat on the ocean.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents on Maui activities.

Comment

well last time we were on maui we used the hana cd, which we seemed to not be able to keep up with, but it did give some good tips. We stopped off everywhere.

The Lava tube cave was really fun, made me want to find those everywhere, even though walking through it made me think of scary movies lol

The Ali Kula Lavennder Farms was a nice visit, we didnt do the tours, but walked around on our own and bought some stuff and their scones were really good =)

We went to the Tedschi Winery and did wine sampling, that was pretty fun. Hey who can pass up free taste testing lol!

We ate lunch at the Kula Lodge, it was so pretty there, you have to eat outside, it has the best view and is so relaxing!

The Maui Ocean Center i love, we took 4 of my best friends kids there and we had a blast. We bought a membership and you can save on their Eco-Boat trips {which we want to do on our next trip) and save online or at the store on purchases.

Just driving around the island is cool, the black sand beaches on the road to Hana was neat to check out. And there are some great state park areas to do some short hikes through

It was raining our whole trip there but it was still awesome! We are going back in two weeks, we are going to try and visit the Crater and do some snorkeling, and my husband wants to dive Molikini. Can't wait!
      http://www.turquoizedreams.com
      Homemade Candles and more!

Comment

Ocean-related land activity: The Maui Ocean Center

http://www.mauioceancenter.com/home.html

Comment

Forgot about that one. Also forgot to mention SURFING!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
            Ocean-related land activity: The Maui Ocean Center

http://www.mauioceancenter.com/home.html

I was in Maui a couple of years ago & went to the Ocean Center. It was amazing. My favorite part (& really the only part I still remember) was the stingrays that floated above you when you went through a glass tunnel. It was so neat.

Comment

It`s been really dry on Maui these past months. Alot of fires all over the Island, especially on the west side (Lahaina). The road to Hana gets worst everyday with the heavy traffic going in and out. Fires have closed down roads into and out of Lahaina as well. Also car-accidents will shut down the road to Kihei and Wailea for hours.
              Other then that Maui No Ka Oi, cause if can, can...........
              OGGBOY
              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                It`s been really dry on Maui these past months. Alot of fires all over the Island, especially on the west side (Lahaina). The road to Hana gets worst everyday with the heavy traffic going in and out. Fires have closed down roads into and out of Lahaina as well. Also car-accidents will shut down the road to Kihei and Wailea for hours.
                Other then that Maui No Ka Oi, cause if can, can...........
                OGGBOY
                What the County has to do is fix the back road from Hana side to Kula that was damaged by the earthquake. I loved taking that back road because only the locals drove it so it really wasn't crowded. They should also make the road around Kahakuloa a real highway instead of that spooky County road that it is now so that when the H'piilani Hwy is closed down because of the brushfires or traffic accidents, at least people can get to and from Central Maui from that side of the island. Was really cool that the Pacific Whale Foundation used their boats to ferry people in between Lahaina and Maalaea a few weeks ago when the road was closed. They only charged people $10 which is a deal if you really needed to get into or out of the West side.

At least if there's a traffic accident on the Piilani Hwy, you can still take Beach Road through Kihei town (even though you might have to avoid running down jaywalkers crossing the road to get to the beach). People trying to get to/from Lahaina really have no choice but to be stranded for hours, which is one of the main reasons why I seldom go to Lahaina anymore.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I usually go to Lahaina once a year. Who needs the hassle, not me. As for Hana yep, I agree how long b-4 they open up the Kipahulu, Kaupo road especially for the local residents. Hard time for these folks for get around. As for the road at Kahakuloa, fixing the road won`t happen especially when it comes to the residents at Kahakuloa Village. As for Mokulele Hiway, again alot of accidents occuring, road closure from both direction. Fire along Honoapiilani Hiway or car accidents, again road closure both direction. Only way out is thru Kahakuloa from Lahaina, Kaanapali. No incoming traffic allowed from Kahului areas. The fire in Olowalu recently shut down the Hiway for hours. Alot of the tourist trying to get to the Kahului airport chartered Catamaran`s from Lahaina harbor. This kinda gives Maui Visitor Industry a black eye...... I guess that`s how it is, never mind when shit happens!!!
                  OGGBOY
                  bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

A tour of the Waikamoi preserve would have to be the top attraction on Maui. It would also be wonderful to see the native plants in the bog on top of West Maui, but I'm not sure if that's possible at all. Some day I'd love to see the native bogs on Maui, full of silverswords and greenswords and lobelioids and other wonderful things.

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/no...s/art2358.html
                    http://www.birdinghawaii.co.uk/XWaikamoi2.htm
                    http://www.kitgentry.com/bog.html

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                      A tour of the Waikamoi preserve would have to be the top attraction on Maui. It would also be wonderful to see the native plants in the bog on top of West Maui, but I'm not sure if that's possible at all. Some day I'd love to see the native bogs on Maui, full of silverswords and greenswords and lobelioids and other wonderful things.

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/no...s/art2358.html
                      http://www.birdinghawaii.co.uk/XWaikamoi2.htm
                      http://www.kitgentry.com/bog.html
                      It's not possible to take a tour of the bog (Pu'u Kukui) on top of the West Maui mountain because it's a watershed that supplies most of Maui with its drinking water. They only allow students and naturalists in there to study the native flora and fauna and to help clear out the noxious weeds once and a while.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Doesn't Maui also have a Maui Onion Festival? and if you're nostalgic for the old times, the A&B Sugar Museum.
                        http://www.sugarmuseum.com/

Comment

eric's favorite thing to do on maui required driving the road to hana, for which HTers (including eric & i) have provided some insight.

we also went horseback riding in the shadow of haleakala, snorkeling at molokini, and checked out some beaches, including the little one. *half-cocked smile*
                          Last edited by cynsaligia; July 18, 2007, 12:29 AM. Reason: some things are better left not quite unsaid.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                          X