Leaving A Tip When Eating Out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leaving A Tip When Eating Out...

20% (or more) if we thought service/food was $$$.
    12%-19% if it was all right
    10% or lower if it was hideous. Only once have I left a restaurant without leaving a tip.

Overall, we probably average around 15-17% (I tend to round up and even out the bill), but we do tip well when it's deserved. I'm always appreciative of places that have well-priced food and good service and I'll let them know. Buffets are kinda different, but we normally will leave a tip anyway, especially if drinks are always filled, plates cleared etc.

As for bars, which we frequent often, we tend to tip more. This normally pays off for us in the long run.

rofl - i have a journalism degree, too. I use my cell phone tipper thingy to do tips and my husband gets all embarassed. It took me awhile to realize how to do 10% hahaha

Comment

I'm not against paying a bartender, waiter, or waitress the appropriate wage. I despise how employers try to pass off this responsibility to the customer in the form of tips. I remember when 10% was considered standard, 15% for exceptional. Now I hear people say upwards of 40%. What next? 60% 80%?

I do like places like Japan or Australia when it comes to the concept of tipping or rather, lack of. I don't buy the concept of rewarding good service or no reward for bad. How about it's expected of good service because it's the service industry? This whole reward/incentive basically breeds bad service and attitude. If I tip less than 20%, I get the stink eye, what the hell?!?

I feel like going out to eat at a full service establishment is like trying to buy a new car at the dealership. You get quoted a price but then you get the con artist treatment, this is an option, this is not included, etc etc. So the real OTD price is not what you've started with. Same deal with eating and having to tip. Just raise the price per plate and stop the tipping nonsense. And someone mentioned fast food places with tipping jars. Yeah, that's really pushing it. Like the tip jars at starbucks. Their CEO mentioned the price for a cup of their coffee is high because their employees get lots of benefits. So why do I have to tip just so they write my name on the cup?

Comment

Attitude. Don't care if the wait help is efficient or not, so long as the person looks and acts like they're enjoying their job and does get to what needs to be done and treats us like they're sincerely glad to see us. One can go to the best restaurants and get "great" service. You know, the waiter/waitress always making sure you have water, coffee, whatever, etc. But if they act like it's just another job, it's meaningless to me. These are the ones that go "Shhii...." under their breath if something goes wrong, also no smiles and lots of "body language" when a customer takes a little too long making a choice.

I've had way better service at busy medium priced places and some local family restaurants. 20%. We even get free extras at some places. As much as 25%.
        I hear you curse or make "body language", depending on the place and circumstances, nothing or pennies. Buffets, 10% to 15%.

I don't ask for much, but do admit I'm fairly hard to please with what little I do require. One hardcore grouch old fut. Make me feel good. Even mediocre food will taste great.

Oh yeah, probably not done anymore, but I'd better not find a charge on the check for a gratuity. D- and illegal. Monterey Bay at Pearlridge used to do that to the Japanese tourists. My inlaws got hit like this and they called the police. They're Japanese, but not tourists. Gotta be careful with that. They ended up comping them the meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
          Oh yeah, probably not done anymore, but I'd better not find a charge on the check for a gratuity. D- and illegal.
          Unless clearly stated on the menu; a common practice, charging an automatic 18% or so for parties of six or more.

Probably not the case you were describing, though.

Comment

Standard Practice for me.

20% is normal
            15% for below average
            10% or less for bad
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

So, how does one define "poor service"?

And if there's a tip jar on the counter of say L&L, is it mandatory to tip?
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                So, how does one define "poor service"?
                Examples:
                > Server fails to bring a requested item (pupu, drink, utensil) after being asked...twice.
                > Server chooses to "memorize" orders, rather than writing them down - then makes several mistakes in what they bring.
                > Server automatically brings the check back to me, even though it is the Alpha Female's credit card that was given as payment (and the name on it is clearly feminine and Japanese...and I am clearly neither.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Unless clearly stated on the menu; a common practice, charging an automatic 18% or so for parties of six or more.

Probably not the case you were describing, though.
                  Was done to couples and were targeting Japanese tourists. I believe it was newsworthy and they got into some deep kimchee about that.

As for the 18% automatically tagged on, I avoid places that do that. If I get bad service, why should I be liable for a gratuity that wasn't earned? Yeah, I believe it has to be earned. Luckily, these places aren't that common. Then again, I may have been living under a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Examples:
                    > Server fails to bring a requested item (pupu, drink, utensil) after being asked...twice.
                    > Server chooses to "memorize" orders, rather than writing them down - then makes several mistakes in what they bring.
                    > Server automatically brings the check back to me, even though it is the Alpha Female's credit card that was given as payment (and the name on it is clearly feminine and Japanese...and I am clearly neither.)
                    You forgot the rubber glove in your food.
                    OR a piece of wood in your drink. OR turkey instead of chicken. Yes I know it is not the waiters fault. But it is poor service.

BTW my husband hates it when the lady at the store gives ME the change when he pays LOL
                    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                    Sharing withother survivors...
                    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Being on both sides of the table, as a waiter and a customer,I believe it should be based on the service, but I also believe that you should NEVER piss off your food server. I've seen so many nasty things done by(angry) waiters that to tell them here, would make you never eat out again.

That being said, should the person who make you a latte at say, Starbucks be tipped? I do it all the time.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                        [...]That being said, should the person who make you a latte at say, Starbucks be tipped? I do it all the time.
                        I do too! Also, Jamba Juice. At McDonald's I never ignore the Ronald McDonald House charities donation box, either! That reminds me...I need to post to the Pet Peeve thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                          Was done to couples and were targeting Japanese tourists. I believe it was newsworthy and they got into some deep kimchee about that.

As for the 18% automatically tagged on, I avoid places that do that. If I get bad service, why should I be liable for a gratuity that wasn't earned? Yeah, I believe it has to be earned. Luckily, these places aren't that common. Then again, I may have been living under a rock.
                          I doubt this was done out of Racism, but more out of racial "profiling"..there is a difference...I think because tipping is not a cultural custom in Japan, so perhaps some Japanese tourists do not know they are supposed to leave a tip.

When I was in Japan, I was told that tips are never expected, even tho' I ended up leaving something anyway.

So, the restaurant in question might have done it to make sure their wait staff actually made money.

Is it the right thing to do ? Good Question.

I remember being in Germany, and being told that tips are not necessary either. I always had a hard time with it, but it is the custom there too.

And my fiancee' tells me to leave a 10% tip in the Chinese area where she used to live, when we eat there, because that is the standard in an area which serves mainly Chinese and Taiwanese people.

Comment

That being said, should the person who make you a latte at say, Starbucks be tipped? I do it all the time.
                            I have to ask, why? At what point where this becomes ridiculous? What about the delivery guy who trucks in the coffee beans and cups? You don't think paying more than $3 for a Tall is more than enough compensation? At the end of the day, it's your money and who am I to say what you can do with it. But it just feels like setting up a lot of bad precedence. Soon, I won't be able to even ask for extra napkins at a fast food joint without tipping.

Comment

Being on both sides of the table, as a waiter and a customer,I believe it should be based on the service, but I also believe that you should NEVER piss off your food server. I've seen so many nasty things done by(angry) waiters that to tell them here, would make you never eat out again.

Makes me wonder do the waiters and chefs that prepares YOUR food really do as what is seen in this movie?

It's the scene where the difficult woman and Ryan Reynolds steps in to assist.

And yes as the original threader chimes back in....... Regardless of Dennys or a 5 Star Eating Establishment a tip is ALWAYS based on service received.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                                I have to ask, why? At what point where this becomes ridiculous? What about the delivery guy who trucks in the coffee beans and cups? You don't think paying more than $3 for a Tall is more than enough compensation? At the end of the day, it's your money and who am I to say what you can do with it. But it just feels like setting up a lot of bad precedence. Soon, I won't be able to even ask for extra napkins at a fast food joint without tipping.

LOL...I'll answer that.
                                If you're a regular at a particular Starbucks and order the same drink ...meaning everyday or twice a day even...the people working there are supposed to learn your drink (Starbucks teaches them this)

Once I don't have to order my drink anymore, and they automatically start making it, THAT'S when I tip. Not always, but if they start making it for me when I walk thru the door, I feel like they've gone above and beyond, and throwing some money in the tip jar is a "nice" thing to do.

Keep in mind, I walk to the same one every morning (it's a block away) and order the same thing....

Otherwise, i just pay and don't tip.

Comment

Working...
                                X