Finding HawaiiThreads.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding HawaiiThreads.com

I hope HawaiiThreads.com can become a friendly, thriving, colorful online community for Hawaii. So I'm trying to spread the word, without being too annoying. I'm at least partially succeeding.

I've invited some good friends, I've posted to USENET, I've added links from "sister sites." To reach a bit wider, I'm also running ads in the Honolulu Weekly, Downtown Planet, and in Ka Leo at UH this week. There's even a tiny Google ad for certain web searches.

I'm curious about how people find their way here... and perhaps what they hope to get from the site. So, a quick poll, and click 'Reply' to add your thoughts! If you got here from a newspaper ad, I'd especially like to know which one, and perhaps what got you to sit down at your PC and type in our URL. (I'm always curious about how "real world" methods translate online.)
    Personal invitation from another member.
    10.61%
    Mentioned online or in another group I participate in.
    23.48%
    A sister site (HawaiiNews.com, HawaiiAnswers.com, HawaiiStories.com).
    14.39%
    A web directory or local links page.
    15.15%
    A print ad ([i]Honolulu Weekly[/i], [i]Downtown Planet[/i], [i]Ka Leo[/i]).
    1.52%
    Just random chance.
    34.85%

Re: Finding HawaiiThreads.com

I saw the announcement over in HawaiiStories.com, where I've lurked and occasionally posted over the past year or so. Not having a blog myself, I always felt a little awkward among such chatty folks! Forums like this are more my speed.

Comment

Saw the mention to this site on the Usenet newsgroup soc.culture.hawaii. I think the thread was about someone asking about Hawaiian chat groups.

I suppose if I had waited a couple of days I would have seen it at HawaiiStories.com

However for HawaiiAnswers.com it was Bert's column in the Advertiser.

Comment

That Burt's always on top of things. And in the HawaiiAnswers.com case, he was on it before I was!

I tracked down a copy of the Downtown Planet and cheered over the HawaiiThreads.com ad on the back page. First position, even! And at least one person mentioned in e-mail seeing it. Here's hoping it brings some new voices.

Comment

"Mentioned online or in another group I participate in."

this is a very good lookin board! great job on who ever put this together!

aloha!

-vic
          Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

Thanks, vic!

Just a quick update... As I mentioned above, I experimented with traditional, print advertising when launching this site. After a month and a quite a few dollars, I'm actually quite surprised to conclude that the ads in the Weekly, Downtown Planet and Ka Leo brought very few new people into the `ohana.

No one so far above has listed those print ads as the way they found there way here, and perhaps five people have mentioned even seeing them.

Google has brought us some wonderful people, as have plugs in other online communities. So that's clearly the way to go.

Comment

I found this forum mentioned at the Alohaworld Ohana Lanai a few weeks ago. I'm an on again, off again poster over on da Lanai. Started back when they were a Delphi forum and am proud to take at least some credit for putting the idea of vBulletin in Koni's head...

I also sporadically participate in soc.culture.hawaii, but lately haven't been able to do a lot of posting anywhere. Even though this forum is aimed mainly for those still living in Hawai'i (as opposed to Alohaworld, which is dedicated mainly to those from Hawai'i living elsewhere), I hope to participate as much as I can. Never hurts to talk story with people still in da 'aina. \m/ ^_^ \m/
              Free iPod
              Free Flatscreen

Comment

Totally random...

Actually due to the forum that I normally frequent being down for the past 2 days. (I'm too ashamed to say what that forum is)

Comment

Aloha!
                  I linked to this site from Alohaworld Ohana Lanai too! Isn't that a great place? I live in Hawaii but really enjoy the input from Hawaiians around the world. Glad to see another enthusiast from that site. BTW, they'll be upgrading sometime in June. Looking forward to seeing that. I am a new member and just learning how to navigate in the Lanai. Izzie, Mokihana, etc are great encouragers, too!
                  Cya there!

Originally posted by WERUreo
                  I found this forum mentioned at the Alohaworld Ohana Lanai a few weeks ago. I'm an on again, off again poster over on da Lanai. Started back when they were a Delphi forum and am proud to take at least some credit for putting the idea of vBulletin in Koni's head...

I also sporadically participate in soc.culture.hawaii, but lately haven't been able to do a lot of posting anywhere. Even though this forum is aimed mainly for those still living in Hawai'i (as opposed to Alohaworld, which is dedicated mainly to those from Hawai'i living elsewhere), I hope to participate as much as I can. Never hurts to talk story with people still in da 'aina. \m/ ^_^ \m/

Comment

i found you guys thru alohaworld.com when i joined the lost ohana site..it's great getting all the info emailed every couple of weeks..there are sooo many choices!!

but, hawaii threads is the 1st one i've actually posted on..it's the 1st site i've found that makes me feel @ home..so much aloha spirit........i just have so many questions about any & everything hawaiian,so i click on each & everything..even tho some of the posts are ova my head!!!....haha...

Comment

I'm in the winning group

Comment

I'm very new to Hawaii Threads and have found it through Panther's Tale and Champuru.com. They have you guys listed on their blogs and online journals. I'm putting you up on my blog too, now.

Comment

I'm impressed that 32 people have taken part in the poll so far.

Comment

Hi,

Mt son found the site and begged me to respond to some of the postings. He wanted to attend the UH at Manoa but due to financial difficulties, he's staying in California.

I love the threads, been away for awhile but now I'm back.

Aleno

Comment

Originally posted by aleno
                              I love the threads, been away for awhile but now I'm back.
                              Aloha Aleno,

Long time no see. Hope you had a great summer with the boys, glad to see you're still kicking!
                              Send POI

Comment

Working...
                              X