Dissing HawaiiThreads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissing HawaiiThreads?

I reading this op-ed by Bob Jones in Hawaii Reporter this morning.Lo and behold I came to this paragraph :

"And about those online comments from readers. So many of them are so emotional, misspelled, flat-out wrong on facts or show low-education syntax. If they were all helpful I'd have no problem with them. But they're mostly like the items you see in Hawaii Threads — very low-brow, attack-oriented, unsophisticated and written by people who don't use their names. What's the point?"

I e-mailed Bob seeking clarification which Hawaii Threads he was referring to ?
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Dissing Hawaii Threads ?

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    (...) and written by people who don't use their names.[/B] What's the point?"[/I]

I e-mailed Bob seeking clarification which Hawaii Threads he was referring to ?
    wat the **** ??? hee tinks wii doo knot no how to tipe/right ???? wat a mauron

MOUAHAHAHAHAHHA
    Last edited by legal_secretary_in_mtl; November 13, 2008, 08:10 AM.
    http://www.liftforlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567
    http://360.yahoo.com/legal_secretary_in_montreal2001
    If you see it and believe it, then you can achieve it and be it

Comment

Re: Dissing Hawaii Threads ?

And I was just about to chime in and say that I thought, on balance, HawaiiThreads users are about a hundred times more articulate and thoughful than most of the folks that populate the comment areas on the local newspaper sites. Oh well.

He must also must not have spent much time here if he thinks we're all anonymous. Some of us are too onymous for our own good!

Comment

Re: Dissing HawaiiThreads?

Whew! He must not mean me.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dear Bob Jones,

I have a screen name here on Hawaii Threads, zztype, and I've used that name online since the 1980s (AOL 1.0, E-World 1.0, many local bulletin boards).

I have worked in the news media since 1996; at advertising agencies since 1989; in printing and graphics since 1976. I have published my own magazine and have helped launch other local periodicals (which I know you read). I have been a webmaster since 1994, producing web sites which you view daily.

Since my earliest days online, I have carried a screen name, as is tradition. But whenever I post online, no matter what I say, I nearly ALWAYS sign my posts with my name. If I do not sign my posts, they are usually inconsequential quips made in an atmosphere where I assume most participants are very well aware of who I am.

If one were not familiar with my screen name, but were interested in finding out who owned the words typed by zztype, Google would be your best friend.

I have never tried to hide my identity online, and often I have paid for that transparency. And, unless I am trying for an effect, my posts are usually carefully written. I often go back into my posts to correct typos, grammatical gaffes or incorrect information.

You can sign me,

Blaine Fergerstrom
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

He must have a bone to pick with Erika Engle, Howard Dicus, Diane Ako and others who have contributed to this website.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I agree with the "we deserve better..." comment, as a general rule.

I don't understand the "don't use their names" complaint. What does the name matter? It's the content that should be evaluated in an argument, not the character.
              Last edited by salmoned; November 13, 2008, 09:07 AM.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

so emotional, misspelled, flat-out wrong on facts or show low-education syntax.
                Bob Jones has described me to a "T", so I guess he is referring to my posts. But I guess what Bob doesn't understand is that HT is like a big group of friends sitting around a campfire, chatting, teasing, arguing, debating, tweaking, laughing, talking story, and just having a good time. You see Bob, we are all ohana here. Come on by Bob and we will include you too. We are an inclusive group.

And Bob, my name IS "matapule" among the Tongan population. And thanks for your feedback.

(pssst Bob, Bob, your quote above is grammatically incorrect)
                Last edited by matapule; November 13, 2008, 10:03 AM. Reason: to please Bob
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

so whats his point if we don't want to put up our real names its our business. Me personally I don't mind saying my name (Hey its Lucie.. nice to meet you B.O.B.) (not my FAMILY name that is) and it's easy to find my real name, as anyone else, through the internet. Some/most do not put it for public view for security reasons, although like I just said we can find alot of personal information on the internet.

JMO
                  http://www.liftforlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567
                  http://360.yahoo.com/legal_secretary_in_montreal2001
                  If you see it and believe it, then you can achieve it and be it

Comment

Gee, didn't I read about Bob Jones in Ryan's Hawaii Blog today,thanks to a link from Ilind.net? Gosh, talk about ungrateful! I sometimes read Bob Jones' column in MidWeek. For the most part, he comes off as cranky, which I think is what they want him to be. I guess if you mention Hawaii Threads then you generate a reaction, and perhaps some web hits on your page or site at MidWeek. Think about it. Why mention Hawaii Threads unless a reaction is desired? It's surprising that a seasoned, well-experienced journalist such as he would make a sweeping statement about everyone at Hawaii Threads as being low-browed and attack-ornamented bottom feeders who hide their identity. Silly. That's simply not true. I've never hidden my identity, and when I realize I've committed a grammatical error, I go back and edit.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

da nerve.

Whack Whacks!
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Me tinks he made a HT avatar, got flamed up the yin-yang by his third post, couldn't handle, and turn off all his Internets.

All I can say is...

WE IS (IN)FAMOUS, BABY!!!

/bootydance
                        /facepalm

...that is all.

(I wonder if he was the guy with the booze boat idea...)
                        Last edited by MyopicJoe; November 13, 2008, 11:39 AM.
                        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                        "
                        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

wow, I find the generalization funny and disturbing all at the same time.

It was "very low-brow, attack-oriented, and unsophisticated "
                          flickr

An email from God:
                          To: People of Earth
                          Date: 9/04/2007
                          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                          God

Comment

I reading this op-ed by Bob Jones in Hawaii Reporter this morning.
                            Bob WHO? Jones? Nevah heard of him.

But they're mostly like the items you see in Hawaii Threads — very low-brow, attack-oriented, unsophisticated
                            Nah, we chased Tiny T out of here long time ago.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Wonder if her was mixing up HT with the Honolulu Advertiser forums...now thats some characters up in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X