Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Night Clubs from the Past

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
    Funny, but I never saw a fight at Hula's. Not to say there weren't ever any fights, but it certainly seemed like a much safer/mellower spot than other clubs. (I worked as Promotions Director for the company that owned Hula's and Wave Waikiki. Good times. And, oh, the stories... )

I never went to Hula's either...but then again I like women
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I wasn't at Bobby McGee's enough to see any fights. I heard Al Noga was there doing his UH days picking fights a couple times. A friend told me Noga and the L.A. Ram's Mike Guman almost got into it. Forget why Guman was in Hawaii - maybe just accompanying his pro bowl buddies on the Rams.

Comment

As I read this thread I'm really surprised, did no one
        ever go to 'Jubes? After 12:30 the place would get rowdy and fights happened but prior to that it was always good fun Hawaiian music and friendly staff. It was even mentioned in a song by Ho'Aikane.

What about Fast Eddie's in Kailua too?

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
          As I read this thread I'm really surprised, did no one
          ever go to 'Jubes? After 12:30 the place would get rowdy and fights happened but prior to that it was always good fun Hawaiian music and friendly staff. It was even mentioned in a song by Ho'Aikane.
          Didn't Willy K. and Braddah Waltah perform regularly there? I think Kapena, and just about every other well-known local band did gigs at "Jubes" back in the late 80's? I think it was.

Frank DeLima also mentions "Jubilees Kalihi" in his "Haole's Anonymous" video skit.

After they shut down, that location across HCC went through several strip club names, and even a club named "Club Micronesia". Personally I've never set foot in the establishment. Ever. Too off the beaten path.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

There was a club on Young Street, makai side just Ewa of Kalakaua. Local bands played there. Must have been 25 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              Didn't Willy K. and Braddah Waltah perform regularly there? I think Kapena, and just about every other well-known local band did gigs at "Jubes" back in the late 80's? I think it was.
              And they all played at the long gone Malia's Cantina in Waikiki, too.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                BOBBY McGEE'S - I recall that their wait staff wore various costumes: the guy in the baseball uniform was dubbed MICKEY MANGO. Remember any of the other characters?
                Bobby McGee's..I rememeber a dude that would where a black chinese outfit thingy, dont memba his charater...but he was freakin' hot...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

Frank DeLima also mentions "Jubilees Kalihi" in his "Haole's Anonymous" video skit.
                  The place to be. The house pupus were plentiful. Everybody knew each other. The couples, the lovers, the enemies, the whatevas. If you wanted to sing or jam it was the place to come. Across the bridge there was Kalihi Palace. Small but it was also packed. Across Farrington High School, Annie's was hopping.

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                    The place to be. The house pupus were plentiful. Everybody knew each other. The couples, the lovers, the enemies, the whatevas. If you wanted to sing or jam it was the place to come. Across the bridge there was Kalihi Palace. Small but it was also packed. Across Farrington High School, Annie's was hopping.

Auntie Lynn
                    aunty no foget Prospect Place in the next lot and PWC on Kalihi St...and da old time Pohaku's on Nimitz.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                      aunty no foget Prospect Place in the next lot and PWC on Kalihi St...and da old time Pohaku's on Nimitz.
                      Bruddah Dennis, Try excuse. Me makule already. heheheh Also, had on Colburn Street in the corner but I forgot da name. Dang! Those were the days....parking lots fights, smooches, cooches, whateva's.

It seems like yesterday but wen I look in the mirror, OMG!!! Reality.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The Wave Waikiki was another longtime mainstay in Hawaii's nightlife. That it lasted for over 20 years without evolving into an old folk's hangout (Rumour's) or worse, turned into trashy joint (Jazz Cellar) is a testament to the club management's inventiveness and business acumen.

How many people here remember Da Fish Hook? Right on the corner of King and Mokauea streets. (Now it is an American Savings office building.)
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                          There was a club on Young Street, makai side just Ewa of Kalakaua. Local bands played there. Must have been 25 years ago.
                          Wasn't that Kojaks where Kalapana played?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            The Wave Waikiki was another longtime mainstay in Hawaii's nightlife. That it lasted for over 20 years without evolving into an old folk's hangout (Rumour's) or worse, turned into trashy joint (Jazz Cellar) is a testament to the club management's inventiveness and business acumen.

How many people here remember Da Fish Hook? Right on the corner of King and Mokauea streets. (Now it is an American Savings office building.)
                            Anna Banana's also never succumbed to keeping the original patrons as they aged. It's always been a "different" kinda place. When I used to go there in teh 80's the Pagan Babies played there regularly. I still got one of their CD's.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              Wasn't that Kojaks where Kalapana played?
                              KOJAK'S - You are absolutely right!

Comment

Did anyone used to go to Taj Mahal? Off of Ala Moana Blvd by Ward Center. It was right back of the TV station, I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X