Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

But, but, it's NOT AUGUST YET! TG, NOOO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: But, but, it's NOT AUGUST YET! TG, NOOO!

Go to the fish auction at the United Fishing Agency. It's super early in the
    morning but lots of fun to watch and educational. Have breakfast afterwards by walking across the parking lot to Nico's. I've been and really enjoyed it, went twice in fact! Now would be interesting with all the ahi coming in for New Year's and you can watch them plug the side and pull out the sample to check for fat and color.
    BTW it's at Pier 38.

Comment

My favorite semi-challenging and/or challenging hike is the Aiea Loop Trail. (Bring some cat food for the lonely abandoned kitties at trailhead)

The park is at the end of Aiea Heights Drive. It's 4.5 miles in a loop, with views of crashed airplanes (well, one anyway), a view of H-3 from the mountaintop, and if you REALLY brave, mid-trail is an offshoot that goes seven miles to the top of the Koolaus, and you can look down on Kaneohe Bay, Kaneohe, MCAS, Kahalu`u (and my house - I'll wave).

Give yourself a half day for the loop, or a whole day for the loop and the ridge trail.
      Last edited by Kaonohi; December 26, 2008, 02:27 PM. Reason: Schpelinkg
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
        Want to learn how to surf? I learned from this guy. I went from no experience to standing on a longboard comfortably in one session.
        um...like to surf....but i don't know how to swim - my 10 year old cousin tried to teach me at magic island; than she became frustrated and told me to grow up and learn how to swim on my own

clicked on the site - doesn't say anything about teaching swimming lessons
        stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
          [...]clicked on the site - doesn't say anything about teaching swimming lessons
          You'll need a swim school for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
            um...like to surf....but i don't know how to swim - my 10 year old cousin tried to teach me at magic island; than she became frustrated and told me to grow up and learn how to swim on my own

clicked on the site - doesn't say anything about teaching swimming lessons
            I have this book with the title, "Teach Yourself to Swim". It came in a bunch of other books when I had a bookshop full of used paperbacks in English. I kept it because it was so funny a thought....you're in the pool, drowning, and the pages are wet and stuck together....
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              You'll need a swim school for that!
              I learned at the YMCA when I was a kid (not in Hawai'i). I don't know if they have adult classes, though. I don't see why not!

Comment

Two things we are definately doing - jumping off the rock in Waimea and surfing! And hiking up to the pillboxes. Oh, and Hawaiian Waters Adventure Park! If they don't look at the pass too closely, we might be able to get you in with my BF's season pass. You two are both blonde, it might work. And big wave boogie boarding! And sailing, of course...hey wait, that's 6 things...
                Last edited by turtlegirl; December 27, 2008, 08:50 AM.
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Wow! Those are some really good ideas! I already have a great surfing instructor, so no worries there. Please keep adding to the list, because everyday I'm going to do something different and add a picture of it to my album of wacky things I did when I lived in Hawaii....and of course I'm buying the album at Don Quiote (or Donkey Hote, if you prefer!)

Hit up Bellows Beach and Kanea Point Hiking this past weekend, and dominated at Risk.

Thanks, guys. You're awesome. Keep 'em coming- I check every morning!!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

If I get my way and the weather cooperates, the girls (Surly and Turtle) may get to roam Waikiki, Ala Moana, Chinatown areas all day tomorrow. (well, forget about the weather, I have umbrellas and she only has a month left here.)

Does anybody have some fun specific ideas for must see activities in these areas? I'm thinking we should pop in at the Oceanarium, but I forget where that is. We should also roam around Hilton Hawaiian Village, and Magic Island, and of course, Aloha Tower. But I need more ideas!! And directions (we'll be walking most likely), please, if anyone knows good directions and can share. Ideas and maybe directions....please.

Comment

Oceanarium is at the Pacific Beach Hotel.

You could also go to the Waikiki Aquarium and spend some time around Kapiolani Park.

Comment

Go down Lewers or Saratoga and walk along the sidewalk behind Fort Derussy which will take you to the Hiton then along to the Lagoon, along the back of Hawaii Prince and then into Ala Moana Park and Magic Island. If you like you can keep walking and go to Kakaako Park and visit the Childrens Musuem and have a snack in the Medical School's cafeteria.

Comment

So sorry to hear of your fate, not enough time for you. Too bad your husband couldn`t get a job here. In this tight job market, everyone suffers. Unemployment in Hawaii has hit an all time high, companies are just tighten its belt. Lucky you have your home to go too, alot of families here don`t! Maybe in the near future you`ll be back with a stronger economy.
                          Hopefully you`ll get the chance to visit the rest of the HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.
                          bEST WISHES AND HAPPY NEW YEAR......
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

One thing my mainland visitors enjoyed was a trip to Coconut Island . . . rent some kayaks and kayak out to Coconut Island for a picnic. I think there's a convenient spot to set sail closer to the island, but it's a nice paddle (and a bit fishy when you leave "port") from He'eia Pond/Harbor however theres a large parking lot and you can unload right at the water's edge. There's only a small portion of the Island that is open to the public - but a nice place for a picnic and some pretty incredible snorkeling is to be had off the front of the island. Kanehohe Bay is a hammerhead breeding ground - so be aware when in the water.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              Oceanarium is at the Pacific Beach Hotel.

You could also go to the Waikiki Aquarium and spend some time around Kapiolani Park.
                              The zoo is good to see.

Cathedral of Our Lady Peace is interesting too, regardless of one's religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                                My favorite semi-challenging and/or challenging hike is the Aiea Loop Trail. (Bring some cat food for the lonely abandoned kitties at trailhead)

The park is at the end of Aiea Heights Drive. It's 4.5 miles in a loop, with views of crashed airplanes (well, one anyway), a view of H-3 from the mountaintop, and if you REALLY brave, mid-trail is an offshoot that goes seven miles to the top of the Koolaus, and you can look down on Kaneohe Bay, Kaneohe, MCAS, Kahalu`u (and my house - I'll wave).

Give yourself a half day for the loop, or a whole day for the loop and the ridge trail.
                                Ooooohh!! Good idea! I've been meaning to do this one! I've even heard of a trail that bisects the loop which is supposed to be pretty cool. Where are the airplanes? First half or 2nd half? And do you think that the trails are okay in wet weather, or should we wait for a sunny day?

Link to Aiea Hike here

Comment

Working...
                                X