How bad is the surfing localism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How bad is the surfing localism

Bummer, Turtlegirl. That's a step beyond garden-variety redneck behavior. I imagine almost any just-out-of-lawschool prosecutor could frame that up as brandishing a deadly weapon or some form of aggravated assault. Witnesses, video . . . something like that could cost a person 5 years. And for what?

I imagine it's a pretty effective way to keep people away in most cases.

Thankfully, snorkelers are less territorial. No egos underwater.

Comment

Man, that sucks, TG

Once on a flight home, I sat next to a friendly young woman. She was from the mainland, but had moved to Hawaii to teach at a public school. She was cheerful and had a lot to say, until we got onto the topic of surfing and Sunny Garcia. Then her mood got darker. I don't think anything happened to her directly, but it was obvious one of her friends had a run in.

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
      It was really wierd, because we never did anything to provoke him, but he thought that my sweetie had cut off his friend 'longboarder dude' on the last wave.
      Oh trust me, he knew you guys didn't do anything wrong. It's a bully tactic. He will surprise you with a false accusation. While your mind races to figure out if you really did it or not (because that's what most decent people do), he will turn up the pressure by getting all in your face. You will plead with him, but he just won't listen to reason. This puts you into a panic, making it hard to think; you lose situational awareness. Now he has the psychological advantage and will toy around with you.

To keep you off your feet, he might do a complete 180. He'll smile, say, "Nah, jus' kiddin'," and hold out his hand in "friendship". You will suddenly feel relieved that the nightmare is over, and quickly reach out to shake hands. That's when the bully yanks you off balance and false cracks you. His friend kicks you while you're down, while a third guy is ready with a knife or gun, in case you start winning.

We're all like, "no, dude, don't be angry at us, we were just leaving, here have your waves, we're getting out", but I guess that was't good enough for busupsg, and he kept ranting and raving and being really over the top. Just would not shut up.
      Pleading is a huge turn-on for a bully. Notice how he seemed to be on drugs? It's an incredible high, to dominate another human being. We're pack animals and Nature wants us to fight for alpha status. When we succeed, our bodies reward us with opiates. Most people have been domesticated to not seek this high through violent means. People will use sports, money, sex, gossip, and many other ways to dominate each other. Some people are complete losers and the only thing they have is their fists. When it comes to getting their hands on this drug, fair play is definitely not on their mind.

Each situation is different, but in general you want to remain as unemotional as possible. Act bored, without being sarcastic. Don't give the bully anything to feed off on. Leave the situation without turning your back completely on the bully.
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
        [...]Notice how he seemed to be on drugs?[...]
        And there's always the possibility that t/he/y were, in fact, on drugs. Scary, either way.

Comment

Wow. That really does suck. Surfing was one of the first things I wanted to learn to do when I got there, but I think I'll pick a less violent sport, like maybe Rugby or Hockey.

I would have done the exact same thing in your situation, TG. Sucks always being the nice kid, huh?

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            And there's always the possibility that t/he/y were, in fact, on drugs. Scary, either way.
            That's true, TS. He could have been on drugs at the time, or a long time drug abuser; making him a "little" lolo.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
              Wow. That really does suck. Surfing was one of the first things I wanted to learn to do when I got there, but I think I'll pick a less violent sport, like maybe Rugby or Hockey.
              While I didn't do it for a long time, I did surf for a bit in the late 90's and early 2000's. I never had any problem! Could things have changed that much since then? The waves in Waikiki are OK for beginners. These stories are cause for concern, but IMO, they shouldn't discourage anyone from getting a board and giving it a try.

Comment

This is probably the suckiest part of all, that those guys make locals, surfing, sup, and Hawaii in general look pretty bad.

Oh, and Kuhio Beach is right by the Duke Kahanamoku statue. Poor Duke, he would be appalled. I mean really, threatening violence right out in front of a statue commemorating the daddy of Hawaiian surfing - sooo shameful!

And while I'd hate to think that some thugs chased me off a fun and convenient surf break, I think I'm gonna be driving down to White Plains for surfing for a little while instead of going out in Waikiki. We're just too cute to have our heads whack whacked by some big crazy and his paddle!
                ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

It's really a bummer to hear there's turds floating in the heart of Waikiki - White Plains is a nice place to surf, but the water is always so suspect and it's such a long drive (perspectively that is )

I have always been a fan of the Ala Moana breaks and Flies. And Kewalo's, but Kewalo's attracts it fair share of turds. Back to Flies (and Kewalo's too), you should enter knowing that the area is sharky - being close to the harbors - Ala Moana and Sand Island - there's food for the frisky fish. I will also add that when the South swells were remotely present (2 feet local scale or up) I was at Flies up to 5 times per week and only on one occassion did I ever see a shark. Probably safer in the water with a shark than a turd!

I hope that you continue to enjoy the South Shore closer to town and your run ins with turds become a thing of the past. Don't let a couple of idiots ruin it for you.
                  RC

Comment

I hadn't heard about the water at WP being suspect before. What do you mean? Like polluted or sharky or rip-currenty?

Always wanted to try Ala Moana, but the shallow reefy parts look scary to me Same for Diamond Head and Secrets

Comment

Awwwww, bummer...I may have answered my own question. Here's an article from today's Advertiser. The comments below the article are interesting, too.
                      Was going to go there today, forget that for now.

Comment

I'm not sure what it was about White Plains - you know anytime you're in the water, you're going to suck some in and the water out there just has a funny taste . . . .and it's cloudy. I don't remember the reef being an issue there at all - it's too bad about that guy - but I doubt it was reef related . . . . Ala Moana has a man made reef about 200 feet out - you'll see surfers walking across it then paddling out to the breaks. It's an artificial reef though - I think it was a break water put in to make Ala Moana Beach a safer and more accomodating beach. The first 50 or so feet once you leave the artificial reef can be treacherous, but by the time the wave reaches them, it's pretty finished. I love surfing Ala Moana - there are so many different breaks, it's like being a kid in a candy store. The reefs at Diamond Head (never surfed Secrets) can be tricky - some of them will surprise you on a low tide (if you really want a surprise, go to Half Point/Full Point at Sandys - I've narrowly avoided the one peak on a few occasions.)
                        Stephen

Comment

Ala Moana, Kaisers, Makaha, Makapu'u, North Shore, or even California...there is always going to be surfing localism I'm sorry to say that surfing localism may seem more ethnocentrically targeted toward haoles in Hawai'i, but I would beg to differ.

Hawai'i, in many ways, may have the feel of living in a Small Town U.S.A. As a result, when a newcomer arrives to this town, the "town-folk" may feel uncertain of the intentions of the new visitor or possible permanent resident. Usually, the Aloha Spirit is to reach out to those visitors or potential permanent resident and greet them with open arms and aloha. For surfing, it is uniquely different, it becomes territorial. However, similar to racism, it is built on fear and insecurities.

As a young grommett who surfed both in SoCal and Hawai'i, I experienced rascism with haoles chasing out the popolos on the beach (sometimes returning with guns if they did not comply) In addition, localism also exists in affluent surf spots in SoCal, Palos Verdes Peninsula, where Surf Nazis attack "haole-on-haole." Today, P.V. Police patrols the bay to prevent future attacks from happening.

Those that live with shallow thinking and who cast the first stone are usually the ones who spoil it for all of the rest. Sounds cliche, but I think its true. I can't excuse what those two goofballs did to the CA visitor, and his friends, but just say that they were complete jerks. If one is interested in surfing a spot that is known for localism, my suggestion is learn your surroundings, get to know the people and the community before going into their territorial ground. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

[quote=Stephen;211940]. . . . Ala Moana has a man made reef about 200 feet out - you'll see surfers walking across it then paddling out to the breaks. It's an artificial reef though - I think it was a break water put in to make Ala Moana Beach a safer and more accomodating beach. The first 50 or so feet once you leave the artificial reef can be treacherous, but by the time the wave reaches them, it's pretty finished.

Are you sure it's man made? For as long as I can remember there always was a reef at Ala Moana. Magic Island is man made but I don't think the reef is. Hurricane Iniki has changed the landscape of the reef from what it was like 30-40 years ago.

Comment

D'Alani - You're right on that one - I had once heard about Ala Moana Beach being manmade and must've confused the two.

Comment

Working...
                              X