Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niʻihau

Yeah, didn't know where to put this. Anyway,
    I would like to ask a question about Niihau.

Today in Social Studies, my teacher was talking about Niihau, and how it is privately owned, which I know. She also said that Niihau is not owned by the American Government, which is obvious because, well, someone else already owns it. But I'm getting confused because Niihau is part of the Hawaiian Islands, and Hawaii is part of America, but Niihau is privately owned but one of the islands in the Hawaiian Chain /Of Islands/. So what does that make Niihau exactly? D:

Re: Niʻihau

My limited knowledge of Ni'ihau is this . . . .

It is owned by an old Plantation family, the Robinsons. They have maintained it as an old world island - without the creature comforts of modern society. The majority of the inhabitants are native Hawai'ians who live life as it was prior to the colonization of the islands. Visitation is restricted to hunting tours and dipomatic visits. It's amazing and beautiful for me to think of an island where modern society has not presented it's pollution. I'm sure there will be many more educated responses to follow.
    Stephen

Comment

Under Hawaiʻi property law, the island of Niʻihau is owned by the Robinson family. Politically, it is a part of the State of Hawaiʻi, and by extension it's also a part of the United States of America. (That last part is considered debatable. ) That's how private property works. You can own your own house, and the lot that it sits on, but that land is still in the territory of the country that you're in. Niʻihau is the same way, except that it's a larger parcel of land. The fact that it's an island all by itself may be the part that's confusing you.

Comment

Glen's right. Lots of Niihauans boat it over to Kauai to go shopping. Some even moved over to Kekaha, Waimea, or Eleele. No, they do not need passports.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Re: Ni?ihau

Niihauans are isolated, but they're not ignorant. They move back and forth regularly.

The state of Hawaii controls the shorelines up to the tide lines.
          Burl Burlingame
          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chanpuru View Post
            Yeah, didn't know where to put this. Anyway,
            I would like to ask a question about Niihau.
            Once again, please check our ARCHIVES!
            http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=14196

Auntie Lynn
            Last edited by 1stwahine; October 3, 2008, 06:07 AM.
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
              Once again, please check our ARCHIVES!
              http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=14196

Auntie Lynn
              And another HT lesson...
              The Front Desk forum is for questions directly relating to HawaiiThreads and to make test posts.

If you don't find an appropriate forum for your subject then post here:
              Mixed Plate
              Everything Else — If you're not sure where, say it here.
              We're not beating up on you, Chanpuru...honest!!! Just tryin' to head ya in the right direction!

Comment

If you want to visit a place within, but permanently not part of the U.S.A., you'll have to go to Honolulu.
                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                X