• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Night Clubs from the Past

I loved her hat! She always looked so nice walking up to the koa bowl
    from her perch at the bar.

I got to know Bob by serving him coffee at a job I had many years ago. He
    was the nicest guy. I loved those sing alongs!

We probably saw each other at Jubes and didn't know! We were always at
    the same table every Friday come rain or come shine and left by 12:30.
    We really loved the waitress Lien, she was a nut and so much fun! I loved
    the staff there! Their fries were really good too! Jubes was the only place we've ever gone to for New Year's Eve, was Led & Ikona.

Comment

Behind the Eagle Cafe on Nimitz Hwy. used to be a club/room that had years of great rock shows, but can't remember the name. Reminded me of the infamous Pink's/Garage.
      When I went there around 1996 that place behind Eagle's was a bizarre nightclub that showed Betty Page S&M videos on the wall. I think it was an early rave or something. They sold extacy inside at a counter with a window. (Nope, didn't buy) I recall being told that I couldn't bring my beer upstairs. I can't remember the name of that place or was it called Pink's?

Does anyone know the spelling of the beach where Bobby McGee's was located? It is pronounced "San-sue-see."
      Last edited by PearlCityMike; March 29, 2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
        Does anyone know the spelling of the beach where Bobby McGee's was located? It is pronounced "San-sue-see."
        That would be San Souci beach.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Anybody remember a group called the Nomads? Had about 10 members in it, 8 guys and 2 girls? Circa 1976 or so.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Or Kaimanas.

I mourn the passing of Auntie Pastos on Kapahulu -- but certainly not for the food. They would host a weekly hip hop night featuring DJ Grant of Shipley's and Brew Moon (Sunday nights) fame. They once had to close down early because of flooding. No, it wasn't the result of torrential rains. An overenthusiastic couple dislodged a urinal during an extreme PDA. Yes, really.

Then there was Spy Bar at John Dominis. The fresh flesh on display was enough to make a sushi chef blush. But it was the confluence of differing demographics that was impressive. Here was a venue where wide-eyed college girls would rub elbows with the likes of John DeMello and company. Too bad the guest list read more like a novella.
            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

What's a PDA?
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Thanks for the info. I did a search and found some photos and remembered the free aquarium (with the colorful fish, seals and electric eel) that we we walked through several times.

New Otani Kaimana Hotel? Sounds like that got "taken over." Sad. What was the old name of the hotel or was it just called Kaimana?

Comment

There used to be a bar under a swimming pool, somewhere on the beach at Waikiki. A big glass window was built into the back of the bar, and customers would sit at the bar and watch the legs and torsos of the girls that happened to be in the water at the edge of the pool.

Like the Pearl City Tavern with its monkeys, but with swimmers, instead.
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    Anybody remember a group called the Nomads? Had about 10 members in it, 8 guys and 2 girls? Circa 1976 or so.

Aj
                    Ahhhh...yes. Da Nomads. Talented family. I watched them perform while working at the Paradise in Pearl Harbor. Yep. At the Enlisted Men's Lounge. I worked the Taco Stand. heheheh

They could sing and play some Soul Music!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

• Re: Night Clubs from the Past

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                      There used to be a bar under a swimming pool, somewhere on the beach at Waikiki. A big glass window was built into the back of the bar, and customers would sit at the bar and watch the legs and torsos of the girls that happened to be in the water at the edge of the pool.

Like the Pearl City Tavern with its monkeys, but with swimmers, instead.
                      I think that was in the underground parking lot of the Reef Hotel and the club was named Captain Nemo's? I remember Karen Keawehawaii used to perform there after she and the Laughing Kahuna's left Yoko's in Kapahulu.
                      The club at Pagoda's was C'est Si Bon?

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
                        San Souci means "without a care" and was the name of Frederick the Great's summer palace outside Berlin around 1750.

Kaimana means “diamond,” referring to the hotel’s location at the foot of Diamond Head. The Sans Souci area was a favorite hangout of Robert Louis Stevenson who enjoyed the shade of the hau tree at the McInerny residence over 120 years ago. The hotel opened in 1964 as the Kaimana Beach Hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post

I mourn the passing of Auntie Pastos on Kapahulu -- but certainly not for the food. They would host a weekly hip hop night featuring DJ Grant of Shipley's and Brew Moon (Sunday nights) fame. They once had to close down early because of flooding. No, it wasn't the result of torrential rains. An overenthusiastic couple dislodged a urinal during an extreme PDA. Yes, really.
                          What's a PDA?
                          Public Display of Affection.

if it were me telling the auntie pastos story, i would have said the couple were doing the Jervis, but some of you might have thought that to mean he ran the urinal over with his car or threw eggs at it. simply put, the urinal-busters were oofing.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

What's a PDA?
                            Public Display of Affection ............

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                              Simply put, the urinal-busters were oofing.
                              But... but... what is "oofing"?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
                                San Souci means "without a care" and was the name of Frederick the Great's summer palace outside Berlin around 1750.

Kaimana means “diamond,” referring to the hotel’s location at the foot of Diamond Head. The Sans Souci area was a favorite hangout of Robert Louis Stevenson who enjoyed the shade of the hau tree at the McInerny residence over 120 years ago. The hotel opened in 1964 as the Kaimana Beach Hotel.
                                Thank you. I went there with a neighbor friend a few times a month when his mom wanted a peaceful place to get a tan. Lot of memories of running around in that area at around 1969-71.
                                Last edited by PearlCityMike; March 30, 2008, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X