Balloon Boy: Was it all a hoax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Balloon Boy: Was it all a hoax?

Meh. It only proves to me that like our cousin the primate, humanity is at an evolutionary dead end.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      And that's exactly where he wanted to stand, albeit under different circumstances. Ah, out of the mouths of babes ofttimes come...truth! What's confusing to me is why Heene did this media stunt when he and TLC already had a reality show in the works. And now that's been cancelled. Rightfully so.
      My bad. Heene and a "Wife Swap" producer had a show in development.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        Meh. It only proves to me that like our cousin the primate, humanity is at an evolutionary dead end.
        I kinda like to believe evolution is reversing itself. Take for example today's teenagers, they speak in more monosyllabic phrases. My 2nd eldest boy responds to me when I ask him where he's going: "Out" where? "Mall" what are you going to do? "Stuff". He grunts when he has to do yardwork. May as well adopt a caveman. Even the grunge look is in style. The sloppier the better.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I really, really didn't want to find out that this was a hoax.

Poor kids.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            I kinda like to believe evolution is reversing itself. Take for example today's teenagers, they speak in more monosyllabic phrases. My 2nd eldest boy responds to me when I ask him where he's going: "Out" where? "Mall" what are you going to do? "Stuff". He grunts when he has to do yardwork. May as well adopt a caveman. Even the grunge look is in style. The sloppier the better.
            I thought we left the grunge look back in the last millennium.

Meh. Devolving is the same as not evolving, so we're still at a dead end. IMNSHO, I hope we go the same way as the dodo and dinosaur.

Comment

What's confusing to me is why Heene did this media stunt when he and TLC already had a reality show in the works. And now that's been cancelled. Rightfully so.
              I wonder exactly how far in development it was. You know better than I about how many TV show ideas and proposals are made, but how few actually come to fruition. Richard Heene probably thought he could increase his odds if he could boost his profile and whet the public's appetite for more of his family's adventures with the balloon boy hoax. If that was his plan, then all of it backfired.

The family's attorney appeared on the Today Show. In that interview, he made it clear that if the parents were to be arrested, that it be done privately and not in the presence of the boys and the media. That is understandable. But it just rubbed me the wrong way when he said that to do otherwise would make law enforcement guilty of "child abuse."

You're kidding me, right Mr. Lawyer Man? The parents want their boys to be protected from child abuse by law enforcement??? This, from parents who were willing to trot out their children as props in their elaborate publicity stunt. This, from parents who have humiliated their youngest son on national TV. Think about it. As he goes back to school, what do you think the other kids will start calling him? Balloon Boy. The kid who hid in the attic while everyone was trying to rescue him. The boy who vomited twice on national TV. Young children can be very cruel about these things. So Mr. Lawyer Man, lay off all this talk about law enforcement committing child abuse, because those boys (particularly Falcon) have already been ruthlessly exploited and victimized by their own parents in a way that will leave deep and long-lasting scars.
              Last edited by Frankie's Market; October 20, 2009, 10:59 AM.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                I thought we left the grunge look back in the last millennium.

Meh. Devolving is the same as not evolving, so we're still at a dead end. IMNSHO, I hope we go the same way as the dodo and dinosaur.
                Tell that to my teenage kids. I see kids going into Fantastic Sams looking like mop head. I see them coming out looking like a trimmed mop head. The hair gel industry is doing fine.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Tell that to my teenage kids. I see kids going into Fantastic Sams looking like mop head. I see them coming out looking like a trimmed mop head. The hair gel industry is doing fine.
                  Yeah I agree. My kids are way neater than my generation was at their age!
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

OK, so charges have been filed.

Looks like HT has already assumed guilt (based on many of the comments).

I'll catch the adaptation on Law and Order: CI... later.

Where can one find an unbiased jury with all this publicity and assumption?

While the selfish actions of people in our modern society never surprise me, I will remain above prejudgement based on speculation as long as I'm aware enough.

I have not seen enough evidence to assume guilt; did I miss something?
                    Last edited by Kaonohi; October 20, 2009, 01:43 PM. Reason: Spel-chek
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      I wonder exactly how far in development it was. You know better than I about how many TV show ideas and proposals are made, but how few actually come to fruition.[...]
                      I really don't know, FM. But the key words here are "development" and "cancelled". It was definitely passed the "pitch" stage and a "Wife Swap" producer had committed to development. We may never know. Or, in the not too distant future, that producer may write a book on his/her experiences with the Heene family!
                      Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                      [...]
                      I have not seen enough evidence to assume guilt; did I miss something?
                      Falcon's words on the Larry King Show, possibly? I realize he's only 6 years old but that, in and of itself, gives him credibility in this case. He was just regurgitating back the words his parents told him. Then, the next day (or 2) he, on camera, regurgitated the stress his parents heaped upon him...literally.

Comment

Falcon's words on the Larry King Show, possibly? I realize he's only 6 years old but that, in and of itself, gives him credibility in this case. He was just regurgitating back the words his parents told him. Then, the next day (or 2) he, on camera, regurgitated the stress his parents heaped upon him...literally.
                        That, and the sheriff dept.'s specific accusation that this was a conspiracy planned two weeks ago, based on evidence seized by the authorities (computers, e-mail, documents). It doesn't sound at all like investigators are taking wild guesses here. They've got information with specific dates attached to them.

BTW, a Denver TV station reports that the brawl outside the Heene family home was between two neighbors. But of course, that ruckus was touched off by the suffocating presence of the media in the neighborhood. The reporter also interviewed other neighbors who now view Richard and Mayumi Heene as personna non grata for the stunt they pulled.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          As he goes back to school, what do you think the other kids will start calling him? Balloon Boy. Young children can be very cruel about these things.
                          Do the kids go to public school or are home schooled?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            Do the kids go to public school or are home schooled?
                            I don't know if the boys go to public or private school. But based on the responses given in the Larry King Live interview, it appears that the children are not home-schooled.

BLITZER: I'm getting a lot of e-mail. There was no school in Fort Collins today.

M. HEENE: Thank you.

BLITZER: Richard, there was no school in Fort Collins today, that's why the boys were home. Is that right?

R. HEENE: That's correct. There's no school Thursday and Friday.

Comment

I really don't know, FM. But the key words here are "development" and "cancelled". It was definitely passed the "pitch" stage and a "Wife Swap" producer had committed to development. We may never know.
                              Well, it was far along enough in development in Richard Heene's mind that he even recorded his own Psyience Detective theme song. Oh boy!

Comment

Oh, please. The hair gel existed way before grunge. In our times, we call it Pomade.

Break it to your kids. Humanity is way past overdue.

Comment

Working...
                                X