Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Melting Pot
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 28th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Homeless solutions

JFC, now... IHS makes those in need of a meal to either sign in for any meal/s of the day at breakfast time or do without completely from their kitchen until the next morning to sign in. It seems they are simply doing these insufferable acts against the most vulnerable purely out of hate, no rationale says otherwise no matter what they may say. And they have a track record of nastiness towards people so it's not any stretch to say they are hating on steroids now.
And, why is Neil's admin. and Health Dept. in cahoots with IHS to eliminate feeding options island-wide to ram the hungry and homeless thru State sanctioned agencies only that require registration and a new photo? It's the new Homeless ID, so this government can better track movements of those who slip thru their net of observance all too easily for them otherwise. Most of my street friends/acquaintances either used fake ID's or simply do without and try to find something to eat elsewhere, they are sucking it hard already and it's about to get much worse.
Not only will stopping uncertified food prep for feedings going to hurt those in serving/eating parks/wherever it's going to greatly impact the remaining soup kitchen in Honolulu by stopping many of River Of Life's providers when they already struggle to meet the former need. This is past fucking nuts, this is criminal level government oppression beyond Orwellian warnings.
Old April 29th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Ali`i

Managed to get an op-ed in the SA Monday concerning the issues but it was retitled and edited to neuter the effect and impact. Really makes you wonder...
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Managed to get an op-ed in the SA Monday concerning the issues
It was retitled to reflect on 'mini homes' re the shipping containers I had mentioned and this aspect was selected by a lady in Mililani who responded with her SA op-ed today in favor of the idea of modified container homes and told of having written the Gov. about it but getting a pass the buck reply of "his office wrote back, saying it would have to be looked at by some other agency".
Sounds like 'some other agency' outside of his purview and curtly dismissive of the entire concept, the State would probably be the main roadblock if not onboard completely. They still have no real plans towards any humane or intelligent economic end of homelessness after all these decades and millions wasted, just goals to maximize their misery.
Old May 9th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Ali`i

Default Are you kidding me?!

http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?acti...y&id=258601261
'They' have the $$$, vast prime land, the will/focus and influence of/with full State support to spend on efforts towards erecting a massive mock-up of an antiquated housing environment but fail to address the screaming pink elephant in the room. How can anybody consider such a bold and of questionable value venture at a time when officials completely ignore any such 'new city' concepts towards benefitting the lower classes of today? We have thousands on the streets with no/little hope, thousands more constantly hovering between having a home or not, rents are crazy high, we're 20% behind in building new homes for current middle class housing needs, yet we can waste time and money on feel-goods...
Old May 13th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Ali`i

http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?acti...1&id=258874981
Monday's SA continues the paper's coverage of the homeless and typically points to the pathetic sham Housing First as an answer and otherwise little else, then talks about an upsurge in crime in Waikiki with more allegations exclusive to those few unwashed masses as the sole aggregate of illegal activities in the area.
Crime is everywhere and committed by everybody and Waikiki has always been a focus for bad, and when there are no toilets available at all, for all... then things can get ugly quick.
That the City and State still hide behind the crumbling fašade of Housing First as some kind of centerpiece for solving anything shows the lack of insight and how pointless all their time, effort, and our money is being treated as nothing continues to get done.
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Kumu

http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?acti...y&id=259338851
The writer of this letter used the unfortunate term “banished” but I agree that the cites in that area seem to have found a program that works. The city/state here needs to send a delegation there to see what they are doing that works. Cites in the north east do have one advantage in that the weather provides a lot of motivation for the homeless to get off the streets.

But I suppose the city/state here will try to reinvent the wheel as they always do.
Old May 15th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Ali`i

They, like most cities, simply pass laws that restrict unwelcomed activity. Honolulu has lax laws and limited enforcement, it's always been laid back and that's been a good thing in many views. Like always, we need to enforce the laws on the books before enacting others, but dumping it all on the cops is no answer either. HPD has been clearing sidewalk squatters when and where they want to but leave others alone for months or don't keep vigil on immediate returnees, it's obvious they can do whatever they want when they want to but it's all seems so random and senseless to allow most but harass at whim. It's our paid officials who've created and festered this mess, it was all avoidable and we'd all be well off now had they been proactive.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 09:10 PM
Ali`i

Kathryn Xian, whom is running for Congress in Hawaii http://electkathrynxian.com/, say's Mayor Caldwell's latest flailing crackdown on the homeless will fail in the long-run and only succeed in wasting taxpayer dollars with his efforts, which will only succeed in shuffling around and traumatizing the most vulnerable of our society. As a community, we must not generalize a diverse population of homeless persons into one category such as "violent" or "drug-addicted" to further our mean-spirited agendas of pushing them out of sight via incarceration or arrest. With the rate of homeless families with children rising nearly 5%, an appropriate solution depends upon fully funding a Housing First program, creating more affordable housing, and reforming our regressive tax code to alleviate burdens on low-income earners. While I am not surprised with the Mayor's so-called "compassionate disruption," which is really a euphemism to describe a brute police-state enforcement of unconstitutional laws, I am extremely appalled with the reaction of IHS's Connie Mitchell. Her response is characteristic of a detached politician with no real experience of homelessness, nor any valid solutions to alleviate the poverty that creates homelessness. She, the city council, and the mayor are part of the problem not the solution. They are creating the same mistakes that other cities have made before us: fomenting support for abusive but cosmetic policy changes that give them short-term results for political ends, all at the expense of taxpayers. We have the power to oppose these bad policies by voting our conscience this election and donating our money to nonprofits who actually care about the population they claim to help. This is the true definition of "compassionate disruption."
http://www.civilbeat.com/2014/06/arr...less/#comments
Sounds like somebody has got it right, and she's sounded good on all issues. She's getting my vote.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:58 PM
Ali`i

DH and I took a drive this past Saturday. We were surprised at the condition of the Homeless population at Kakaako. It was never like that before when we distributed last year. We will be back this Saturday to give to the the homeless.
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 02:52 PM
Ali`i

That's kind of you, 1st, more citizens need to care as much. Too bad it's usually the least deserving that get the benefits of such acts instead of those that need it most. Generally, those seen squatting on sidewalks in tents are truly the lowest of the dregs who will never care to improve substantially/sustainably and always take gross advantage of every opportunity just thinking only of themselves while others who are often much better people and could really use the help miss out because they aren't as readily visible.

Odd and frustrating;
HPD whine endlessly that there aren't laws on the books to allow them to move people off sidewalks and other very public areas, yet they've done just that for years and have done so in every instance around Oahu. At least once a month they roust campers from some place in Honolulu and tell them not to come back, which of course lasts a week at best and then the low life's are back for long stretches before getting chased away again. HPD's endless "we can't" excuse doesn't jive with the fact that they most certainly do, and will continue to do it but only when and where they seem to want to, never everywhere at once. And boy do they hate being questioned about any of this (especially higher ranking officers), but I'll be asking again today.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 06:48 PM
Ali`i

From the beginning of The Slippah Project, our purpose was to give to those less fortunate. And so we continue to do that as well as not to judge anyone.
Old June 4th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Ali`i

That's nice too, no doubt some of the more deserving will benefit regardless but I probably have greater insight to those I'm condemning and stand by my assertions.
Old June 4th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Ali`i

I'm looking for Volunteers to help me on Friday morning. It would be a an experience for you to get up close and see for yourself the conditions as well as the people who live there.
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Ali`i

Friday will be my first day with my computer out of the shop and need to be dealing with backlogs and (to be honest) some fun stuff, but otherwise I'd be interested in involvement. Please mention when you might be doing it again. Good luck with volunteers.
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Ali`i

I will definitely let you know Ron! Have a blessed day!
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Ali`i

More wisdom from Ms. Xian; http://www.civilbeat.com/2014/06/cal...-homelessness/
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Ali`i

We distributed to Kaakako on Friday. And I returned to check with my husband on a tour using a Segway. What started out as a Cultural and Historical Tour turned into a Special one. We saw Homeless Areas we didn't know existed. And we will return to every one in time to distribute "Slippahs, clothes, can goods and toys when available. We did not see drug addicts. What we saw was people in need. Human beings who are down and out and can't afford high cost of rents. Human beings many with children.
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:09 AM
Ali`i

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...alt-operations

Is this a way to hurt the homeless?
Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
Ali`i

Was at the Capital last nite for a QnA with Ige, Jeff Davis (Lib.), and Kimo Sutten, Duke's Lt. Gov. hopeful. The topics were Kakaako and homeless. Got a new perspective on Ige and Davis but it was obvious Sutten had no desire to engage in serious dialog afterwards and he took flight at the first opportunity when I was rudely interrupted in my futile conversation by some chanter guy. But Ige was quite receptive to the ideas of using the shipping containers for housing and offered some experience with them as office space, and Davis has advocated this all along.
Meanwhile, the sit and lie bills move along and will come to a head soon; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Fw8V6B7fHnNq7w but not opposition.
Old July 9th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Ali`i

I'm failing to see the compassionate part, Mr. Mayor... http://www.civilbeat.com/2014/07/are...ples-id-cards/
Old July 15th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Ali`i

In today's SA op-ed's there was a head nodding letter that asked how all those who's hair-on-fire allegations that the homeless were responsible for our State's imminent economic demise would be scrubbing the egg off their faces after a truer estimate of how much money is coming into Hawaii via Waikiki shows in '14 they gained 100 million more than stated and probably have for years. http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?action=login&f=y Or will they just pull a 'never mind' and move on to other convenient lines of BS? And doubtful any of that excess money be tapped towards solving the issues.
http://www.civilbeat.com/2014/07/the...ess-crackdown/

Last edited by Ron Whitfield; July 15th, 2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old July 15th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Ali`i

Katherine Xian has a petition to stop criminalizing poverty and homelessness http://www.change.org/petitions/hono...d-the-homeless

Meanwhile, Mayor Compassion is spending $15,000 a day on harassing street people when he could house them individually for much less.
Old July 19th, 2014, 02:48 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Meanwhile, Mayor Compassion is spending $15,000 a day on harassing street people when he could house them individually for much less.
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...banners-to-911

The mayor got really steamed at those aerial ads. Meanwhile....
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:12 PM
Ali`i

Default Bus becomes rolling showers for the Frisco needy

Wash, rinse, roll, repeat - http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/b...eless-24638243
We've got incredible mobile facilities available on Oahu, but they sit unavailable at such times of need. Shameful, solutions right at hand to curb the majority of problems yet no willingness from our misleaders.
Old July 28th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Ali`i

Amazing how the SA just can't stop misinforming the public via it's Our View column written by head editors. In today's OV they continue claiming there is plenty of "emergency shelter" for all the street people in Waikiki, which is just total BS. Besides, is emergency shelter any kind of humane answer when it's blatantly being misused as permanent warehousing of humans in deplorable environments and subjected to abusive staff/security or worse?
They also perpetuate the stigma of dividing the homeless from "general society". What ignorant pius pukes!
And of course they can't get beyond the feeble at best Housing First joke as some kind of silver bullet solution when nothing else has been considered.
These misguided editors that fuel negative and erroneous public attitudes are part of the problem.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?acti...y&id=268783071