Night Clubs from the Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Night Clubs from the Past

The Best thing about Clubs in the 60`s & 70`s, those awesome live bands that made the place rock. Infinity, Foxxy Lady, and all those clubs I use to get down and boggie. Oh well,I guess I going kadaoke tonite...By the way do we still have disco places around, just asking so no get bent outta shape.
    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

More clubs that come to mind:

BEEF AND GROG - Kalakaua Ave. (makai); Burgundy Express, Cascades;
      COCK'S ROOST - International Marketplace; Liz Damon (pre-Orient Express);
      QUEEN KAPIOLANI HOTEL - Kapahulu Ave.; Reycards;
      RUSSELL'S ROWBOAT - McCully-Kalakaua;
      SHIPWRECK KELLY'S - Lewers St.

Comment

Now I remember The Wave - with the big wave mural on the outside wall. Trying to think what street it was on. Beginning of Waikiki....near Sizzlers?

I only went there a couple of times in the mid 80's. I felt out of place. (translation: too old at 25?) The girls that went there were into certain types of guys...wild new wave dressers with tatoos, nose rings and mohawks? Even though I wore wrist spikes to The Point a few times, I used to joke with my friends that I was too clean cut (hah!) for The Wave women.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
          Did anyone used to go to Taj Mahal? Off of Ala Moana Blvd by Ward Center. It was right back of the TV station, I think.
          It used to be SIR JOHN's previously. Kinda half-way between the old KITV and KHON studios.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
            It used to be SIR JOHN's previously. Kinda half-way between the old KITV and KHON studios.
            I forgot that Sir John's later changed to Taj Mahal. In fact, going through this thread, I'm amazed at how much I forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
              By the way do we still have disco places around, just asking so no get bent outta shape.
              Rumours Nightclub. Flashback to the ‘80s and disco's catchy tunes. I went with friends and had so much FuN! Danced juss like we were in high school on the packed floor. Watched the dudes who were wearing clothes from the seventies and eighties (tight up the yang yangs) trying to pick-up wahines. The old fut chicks was having fun in their mini skirts and low blouses prancing around for anyone. Thing is some scored. ha ha ha

It's a Big Class Reunion every Saturday.

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                Wasn't that the Coconut Grove back then? and not related to the one that burned down in LA.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Don't forget Club C-5 on Hotel St. with crazy owner Min! This was the Jazz Cellar's competitor back in the late 80s early 90s. Think Metallica!!

Comment

Has Jack Cione's Dunes nightclub been mentioned yet? Didnt that turn into Gussie's eventually? They had a naked waiter that was really popular and I think the club had acts as famous as Sammy Davis, Jr. perform there.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      Has Jack Cione's Dunes nightclub been mentioned yet? Didnt that turn into Gussie's eventually? They had a naked waiter that was really popular and I think the club had acts as famous as Sammy Davis, Jr. perform there.

Aj
                      That's the place that Howard Farias of the Sandbox tried to make into a Vegas style supper club after he came back from running off to Vegas, himself. Those two have been in cahoots for years.
                      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Maduro View Post
                        Don't forget Club C-5 on Hotel St. with crazy owner Min! This was the Jazz Cellar's competitor back in the late 80s early 90s. Think Metallica!!
                        I have friends who played in a rock band at both Jazz Cellar and Club C-5, back in the day! I went to both places often...
                        I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Wasnt Kojak's where Andy Bumatai got his start?

What nightclub had all the bellydancers in it? Marakesh??

Was Bobby McGee's located where the W. Honolulu Hotel is now?

Bobby McGee's was part of a mainland chain with the same themes, waiters dressed in various themed costumes.

Aj

Comment

And then for the college kids there was Moose McGillcuddy's on University Avenue and the other one in Waikiki.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Kanahina: What band was your friend in? I knew some of those bands also!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                                Wasnt Kojak's where Andy Bumatai got his start?

What nightclub had all the bellydancers in it? Marakesh??

Was Bobby McGee's located where the W. Honolulu Hotel is now?

Bobby McGee's was part of a mainland chain with the same themes, waiters dressed in various themed costumes.

Aj
                                One of the gals who used to work at Bobby McGee's is still a bartender at the W. I used to frequent the WonderLounge and she'd always have her stories about Bobby McGee's!
                                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                                We're not here to mess around
                                Boston, you know we love you madly
                                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                                You know we couldn't live without you
                                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                                X