Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Comparison

Helow!

I would like to ask someone to do me a comparation betwen these three colleges in Hawaii!

1. Chaminade
    2. University of Hawaii at Hilo
    3. HPU

How good are they, how hard are they, how many students, which one of these would you recomend and so on....

Please help me!

Re: Comparation

That's such a complicated issue. If you tell us more about yourself (where you're coming from, what you would like to study, how you're paying for tuition, that kind of thing), we might better be able to assist.

I'm guessing you're not a native English-speaker. Am I correct?

ps: I've been a student at all three of these schools and loved them all.
    Last edited by scrivener; February 6, 2007, 11:05 AM. Reason: "raven hair...ruby lips..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Maybe its just me being a jerk, but should you do the research yourself?
      google is your friend.

Cuz if not, i'm recommending South Harmon Institute of Tech. Send all tuition fees to me.
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Well I'm from Slovenija in Europe!

I'll probably study business or marketing if I go there to study, and I'm hoping to get athletic scholarship!

And yes you are correct. I'm not a native English-speaker!

Thank you for your help!

Comment

Re: College Comparison

I can compare campuses:

Chaminade and HPU are both on the island of Oahu. HPU downtown Campus is scattered in the heart of the capital of the state. Chaminade is more of a residential area. HPU Hawaii Loa Campus is more remote and isolated, but the big city is a bus ride away.

University of Hawaii at Hilo is wet, wet, wet. You'll find green moss growing on rock walls. Hilo is located on the Island of Hawaii (also known as the Big Island). It's a small city, but somewhat limited. Many businesses rely on services and shopping on Oahu. Unless it's changed, there's no night life to speak of.

Comment

Thank you! Now I just need to know how many students atend each school, and which is the hardest...

Can anyone tell me???

Comment

anyone please???

Comment

The number of students should be on the web page somewhere. As far hardiest, I don't know as anyone can answer that one since most people only attend one school and can't compare. What you should look at is which one has the best program in the area you wish to study. If you are just visiting, then you need to find out which credits will transfer best to your final school.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  I can compare campuses:

Chaminade and HPU are both on the island of Oahu. HPU downtown Campus is scattered in the heart of the capital of the state. Chaminade is more of a residential area. HPU Hawaii Loa Campus is more remote and isolated, but the big city is a bus ride away.

University of Hawaii at Hilo is wet, wet, wet. You'll find green moss growing on rock walls. Hilo is located on the Island of Hawaii (also known as the Big Island). It's a small city, but somewhat limited. Many businesses rely on services and shopping on Oahu. Unless it's changed, there's no night life to speak of.
                  I wouldn't consider HPU Hawaii Loa Campus being remote or isolated being five minutes away from Kaneohe and Kailua, and only 15-minutes away from the urban sprawl of Honolulu. It stands next to Hawaiian Memorial which is right next to suberbia then it's the town of Kaneohe. Now the BYU-Hawaii campus I would consider more isolated and remote on Oahu but still yet, there is no place on Oahu that can be considered remote or isolated. The island is too small and congested for anything there to be considered boonies anymore.

But having no (or limited) night life makes for a better educational atmosphere in my book. with UH/Hilo really surprizing me. It's not as congested at UH/Manoa and the people there are much friendlier to boot having the "feel" of KCC at Diamond Head, very open and comfortable.

It's also cheaper than HPU or Chaminade. UH/Hilo or UHH isn't as wet as Hilo is rated to be. Over the past few years Hilo is seeing less and less rainfall. In the 60's Hilo used to be that really rainy town, but lately it's been drier more like Honolulu has been for the most part.

As for nightlife, Hilo doesn't have the sophistication like Honolulu or any other metropolis. It's a small (but growing) town and becoming somewhat eclectic reminding me more and more like what Manoa Valley has become.

If you're not into the club scene there are decent places that offer live entertainment in a more intimate climate like Cope Cope (pronounced Kopay Kopay) that offers a Starbucks feel with live music at night. There's also Starbucks at several locations around Hilo.

If you're into the more "bar and grill" feel there are several of these around Hilo and Keaau such as Cronies and Paradise (formerly Charlies) bar and grill. Paradise just recently showcased Willie K for live entertainment, but also has live Reggae, country and rock entertainment.

As for standard clubs Hilo is limited in sophistication, and the only one that comes to mind is Detour that actually has a dress code! Imagine that a dress code in Hilo! Then there's Uncle Mickey's and Shooters. Shooters just played host to a not-so successful hosting of Girls Gone Wild casting event.

Hilo Lanes on Friday evenings offer "Rock and Boll" where a live band plays rock music while you bowl. Interesting concept that makes for a really great evening.

If you're looking for good core credits in a place with little distraction, easy entrance, low cost and decent student housing and parking then UHH is the place to go.

UHH is a great stepping stone for those living on Oahu and want to get that off island feeling without leaving the state, perfect for Oahu college freshmen and sophmores who yearn to leave the nest but just lack the committment to follow thru, close enough to home to feel comfortable, far enough to have your own life.
                  Last edited by craigwatanabe; February 11, 2007, 08:49 AM.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

HPU is in the middle of town. Its in a single building and is scattered. I havent been there personally but some of my teachers have taught there. I would rather go to university and live at the dorms if your coming from another whole country. Thats just my take. Theres also University of Hawaii at Manoa which is on Oahu. Oahu is more city rather than Hilo the Big Island is more country. Chaminade Ive never been too but I do know that its campus is apart of a all boys school, I was interested in their forensic program. But dont know much about their school. But id do some research out of the forums like someone said, google is your friend.. although google is my lover.

Being that I went to a real small college, I shouldve taken the better route and done the university.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecntrc View Post
                      HPU is in the middle of town. Its in a single building and is scattered. I havent been there personally but some of my teachers have taught there. I would rather go to university and live at the dorms if your coming from another whole country. Thats just my take. Theres also University of Hawaii at Manoa which is on Oahu. Oahu is more city rather than Hilo the Big Island is more country. Chaminade Ive never been too but I do know that its campus is apart of a all boys school, I was interested in their forensic program. But dont know much about their school. But id do some research out of the forums like someone said, google is your friend.. although google is my lover.

Being that I went to a real small college, I shouldve taken the better route and done the university.
                      Okay I'd like to preface this by saying this is all in fun so don't get too pissed off okay Ecntrc?

I don't know what college you went to but apparently spelling and syntax wasn't one of the requirement there was it?

UH Hilo is by far not country. Country by Honolulu standards are places such as Waimanalo, but by Big Island standards, Hilo is very much a town with a Walmart, Office Max, Borders, Ross, Macy's, Home Depot within biking distance from UH Hilo's dorms.

To us living here on the Big Island, country means dirt roads, no high speed internet, one gas station, no 7-Eleven. Living out in the country means consolidating your trips into town because the commute is too far to be going back and forth for each thing to do.

Puna used to be country living but it seems to be more suburban living lately.

Comment

I'd choose HPU.

HPU has hotter chicks.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                          I'd choose HPU.

HPU has hotter chicks.
                          Hotter usually means high maintenance too.

And I gotta tell you working at Home Depot during the evenings I see a lot of UH/Hilo's freshmen and sophmore women in their late teens and early 20's that have transferred from Manoa telling me that they prefer UH/Hilo's relaxed environment. These are the same "hotties" you mentioned at HPU.

UH Hilo has come a long way and has gained my respect. And that's coming from someone who moved away from Honolulu almost three years ago after spending his entire life watching Honolulu grow up to the monster it is now. I'm 47.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            I wouldn't consider HPU Hawaii Loa Campus being remote or isolated being five minutes away from Kaneohe and Kailua, and only 15-minutes away from the urban sprawl of Honolulu.
                            There's also a shuttle that departs every fifteen minutes from one campus to the next, making it easy to live on the Hawaii Loa campus and take classes in Downtown Honolulu. The shuttle doesn't cost HPU students anything above or beyond their regular (high) tuition.

It's not as congested at UH/Manoa and the people there are much friendlier to boot having the "feel" of KCC at Diamond Head, very open and comfortable.
                            The only way this statement makes sense is if you mean it's not as congested AS AT UH-Manoa, so I'll ask for clarification here. Hilo has its own rush hour and its own hot spots for traffic, but they are nothing compared to finding parking in Manoa every day.

As for nightlife, Hilo doesn't have the sophistication like Honolulu or any other metropolis. It's a small (but growing) town and becoming somewhat eclectic reminding me more and more like what Manoa Valley has become.
                            A certain former member of this HT community bemoaned this fact all the time, and that's what's great about colleges; there's one for everyone. I loved the mellow, laid-back feel of the Big Island and the lack of a nightlife there was actually a draw. Hey, there was a 7-Eleven and a 24-hour Safeway, and now there's an open-all-night Wal-Mart. That's nightlife enough for me.

If you're looking for good core credits in a place with little distraction, easy entrance, low cost and decent student housing and parking then UHH is the place to go.
                            And beyond the core credits, there are some programs there that are better than at any other university in the world. Geology and astronomy are good examples, but even the Hawaiian Studies program at Hilo is better in some ways than at Manoa (or anywhere else).

Originally posted by Ecntrc View Post
                            HPU is in the middle of town. Its in a single building and is scattered.
                            This is simply not true. HPU's classes and office spaces are not in a single building; they are located in many buildings that surround the Fort Street Mall area, very much like the Ivy League's Columbia University in NYC. I always wondered how students could feel a part of campus life in a place like this, but now that I'm a graduate student at HPU, I can say it totally, totally works. Do you know what it's like to half a twenty-minute break between classes and have your choice of great places to grab food or (ahem) drink? Being part of the downtown life during my schooling is excellent. In many ways, it's the anti-UHH, and I think I enjoy that aspect of it as much as I enjoyed Hilo.

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                            HPU has hotter chicks.
                            Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            These are the same "hotties" you mentioned at HPU.
                            There's really no way to compare a thing like this, and I don't have to tell you that I've tried. They are NOT the same hotties from school to school, and yet each school's women have something going for them. I will avoid being crass and not compare the specifics here, but let's just say that if you, like me, are more of a looker than a toucher, you can't make a wrong choice. But one quick visit to any of the campuses would make that clear anyway.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              The only way this statement makes sense is if you mean it's not as congested AS AT UH-Manoa, so I'll ask for clarification here. Hilo has its own rush hour and its own hot spots for traffic, but they are nothing compared to finding parking in Manoa every day.
                              Hilo's rush hour is NOTHING compared to a even a slow day on Oahu. And the parking lot at UHH is so big I think there's at least one space for every student there and they don't charge for visitors to park within.

I lived on Vancouver street near UH and I would have students offer me $50 a month if they could park in my driveway. I lived within a five minute walk from UH. I would walk over to Volcano Joe's just to use their WiFi.

UH Hilo to me really amazed me. It's a good university. And the chicks there are hot! Too bad they're young enough to be my daughters though They call me Uncle Craig for those who work part time at Home Depot.

Comment

Working...
                              X