X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Originally posted by helen View Post
    [...]
    Did they recover the body from the harbor? There seemed to be no mention of it.
    Personally, I didn't feel it was necessary to the story. McGarratt made the request which seemed enough to me.

Jonathan Sypert, who played the villian with dreadlocks, did one hell of an acting job. I was so proud of him. He's the sweetest, kindest guy irl and a wonderful dancer. I was surprised to see his ability to go to such an extreme. He scared me!!!!!!

Comment

I have to confess that I never liked this show in its original version and therefore wasn't especially looking forward to the new version. However, I didn't think it would hurt to TiVo it just in case, and hey. I kinda liked it.

What will make this show work, I think, will be the relationships between the main characters, especially Steve and Danno. Their introduction in McGarrett's father's garage was very well done, and the banter in the car was fun. The acting generally left something to be desired, and the writing wasn't quite as good as some of the other crime dramas I occasionally take in, but the story was somewhat engaging. Bonus points for being shot in Hawaii make it something I'll probably keep watching.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I actually thought it was very good. Right amount of action, good script, interesting characters, superplenty shots of Hawaii (so many that I found myself saying, "Wait, where was that?" over and over again) and they kept the original theme music. Awesome. And Scott Cann is hilarious.

Some nitpicking though. Where are the local actors? Weren't the actors who played Zulu a former Waikiki beachboy and Chin Ho an actual HPD officer? I might be wrong but that's what I recall. Also, the old show did so well because they would take crimes out of the local news and put them in the show. I don't think we ever had any European terrorists/gun runners here, although we definitely have human trafficking. Close enough I guess.

I'll definitely watch again, although I'm a big Castle fan too. Oh well.

Comment

I didn't mind the presence of all the new crime-fighting gadgets and doo-dads. But they showed very little detective work, which was a hallmark of the old series. (McGarrett and Co. gathering clues and trying to piece it all together to figure out who committed the crime and how.) I dunno, maybe they'll do a little bit more of that in subsequent episodes when they get around to focusing on the contents in Steve's father's tool box. So far, tho, the new H50 features a lot of onscreen eye-candy, but little in the way of substance.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Personally, I didn't feel it was necessary to the story. McGarratt made the request which seemed enough to me.
            While he did make the request and he even though he did shoot to kill the bad guy, there is a possibilty that he might survived the shooting and the dump into the harbor only to come back to seek more revenge against McGarratt and the team.

Comment

My favorite part was when the wahine (who was about to grad from the police academy) came out of the water from surfing and punched the guy for dropping in on her wave. Just want we all want in our police ... aggressive and criminal (assault) behavior traits. Oh wait, whew, luckily she got hired on by the 5-0 team, where unchecked violence is part of the job description.

I love TV!!
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Got the feeling the villain will be back, like Wo Fat.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  While he did make the request and he even though he did shoot to kill the bad guy, there is a possibilty that he might survived the shooting and the dump into the harbor only to come back to seek more revenge against McGarratt and the team.
                  Yes, that is a possibility. And maybe my initial reaction is exactly what the writers were hoping for! Time will tell!

Comment

Yes, that is a possibility. And maybe my initial reaction is exactly what the writers were hoping for! Time will tell!
                    Yeah, I'd be very surprised if they hired James Marsters for such a small role in the pilot without bringing him back for more later. The fact that they never showed the body is key. I'm quite confident that we'll be seeing him again - after all I thought I remembered part of the pitch of the show was that the show would have McGarrett continuing to unravel he mystery of his father's killing over the course of the series. Remember, as FM mentioned before, there's still the loose end of the tape recording his father left and the mysterious key, which we're sure to learn more about as the season progresses. You know it'll all tie in together. (Or if it doesn't, it'll be some very sloppy storytelling.)

BTW - how cool was McGarrett finding a very familiar car in his dad's garage?

I liked it, warts and all, but I was predisposed to with Grace Park in the cast! But it was still kind of jarring hearing Alex O'Laughlin called by his character name. Jack Lord's "Steve McGarrett" was such an iconic figure it's weird even hearing anyone else referred to by that name.

Now for the fun part: Let's get picky!
                    1) Chin Ho referring to the "Honolulu Police Department" to McGarrett and Danno rather than "HPD".
                    2) "Local boy" McGarrett very flatly pronouncing local names/locations like "Kalakaua". I read somewhere that he attempted some pidgin too but I must've missed it.

Come on, I know you all have your favorites too!

Comment

The word from CBS is that Five-0 won its timeslot with an estimated 13.5 million viewers - that number is sure to increase when all the people who recorded it on their DVR's watch it.

That's promising since it was up against Castle and new show The Chase.

I think it replays on CBS on Friday night so those who missed it can still catch it again.

It definitely didn't look as good on my TV at home as it did on the giant screen at Waikiki. I wish they would show the new episodes every week at Queen's. Being able to sit on the sand, under the stars and watch the show on the BIG screen just made it so much more enjoyable for me!

I hope America keeps on watching.
                      Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Saw some of the show last night, I hate to say this but I think they miscast Caan and the actor who plays Steve M.

They should have switched roles, Caan was the show/scene stealer for me.

He has the cool-headedness and self-confidence to carry that show.

Plus the humor not to take himself too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post

* Watch program stream on the CBS TV website*

That what I did when I missed the begining.... A given show is posted the next day on their site for FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
                            [...] Caan was the show/scene stealer for me.[...]
                            I completely agree. I loved how he was able to go back and forth between being a cop and a dad...and how this new show chose to integrate the line "Book 'em, Danno".

Comment

I completely agree. I loved how he was able to go back and forth between being a cop and a dad...and how this new show chose to integrate the line "Book 'em, Danno".
                              Tutusue, I had no idea Caan was in the show.

I kept telling my wife, "Look! It's the guy from Ocean's 11"

Comment

Lets assume it will be in next weeks or hopefully very soon episodes to come...
                                Yeah kinda sad that Caan stood out much more vs. O'Loughlin. But then again could it be that Scott is more known to the viewing public versus Alex who what has "The Back Up Plan" movie he did w/ Jennifer Lopez? But deep down its the character role played at Danny Williams is outshining Steve at the moment. Next weeks should equate the balance between the 2 leads.

Comment

Working...
                                X