Samoan Tattooing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samoan Tattooing

I am not sure if I can post this but this does have to do with samoan culture. My twin sister and I were born at 27 weeks, so 3 months early. I guess you can basically say that she was born, still born.

I would like a tattoo with samoan roots. I want a samoan type design w/swirls, I do not want 'in loving memory of ...' basically because alot of people have that already. I want something original something only for me. Ive talked with my god father and my uncles and they all said that their not sure if theres a design that can be made of an angel or meaning of a twin sister that passed away. I want a design with meaning, completely samoan if can.

My question is does anyone know of someone that specializes in this? Richard at Liquid Metal has done my nose and belly piercing along with my husbands tattoo. I was going to see him but he wants me to walk in because he can remember faces but not descriptions. I will talk it over with him but if I can find someone that can atleast draw something out or draw and tattoo it I would be so happy. Anybody?

This may be moved if it needs to.. Thanks

Re: Samoan Tattooing..

Try looking at Tricia Allen's website. She creates unique designs based on Polynesian art. There are some examples included on her site. She lives on Oahu, so you could probably contact her when you finally get to Hawai'i.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Samoan tattoos don't have swirls. If you want a traditional Samoan tatau then get a Malu. If you want a more modern "polynesian" design go to a Polynesian tattoo artist. Palagi artist don't know the meaning behind the tattoo(other than what they read in books...written by palagi). Tricia Allen may be the exception. But still....it's good to go to a Samoan or Polynesian tattoo artist. DON'T jump into getting a tattoo....plan it out...research it. Have the artist draw up a couple examples. Check out their portfolio and find someone who is recommended.

Malu = 100% Samoan tatau
      Last edited by PoiBoy; February 6, 2007, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
        Samoan tattoos don't have swirls. If you want a traditional Samoan tatau then get a Malu. If you want a more modern "polynesian" design go to a Polynesian tattoo artist. Palagi artist don't know the meaning behind the tattoo(other than what they read in books...written by palagi). Tricia Allen may be the exception. But still....it's good to go to a Samoan or Polynesian tattoo artist. DON'T jump into getting a tattoo....plan it out...research it. Have the artist draw up a couple examples. Check out their portfolio and find someone who is recommended.

Malu = 100% Samoan tatau
        I know they dont have swirls but I like those. I know I have been thinking about this for a couple years but I dont want to just go to anyone that wont put actual meaning to it. Thats why im asking if anyone knows someone that can put meaning into my tattoo. I never got to meet my sister so I want something special that represents my twin.

Comment

hmmm twins?

I think the malu would be perfect for you.

The old story of how tatau was introduced to Samoa comes by way of female siamese twins...from fiji. They were severed on their way. Unbroken oral history and unbroken tatau...for thousands of years.
          "A story goes like this: the origin of tattooing in Samoa revolves around the figure of the maga, a forked entity or duality manifested in the one. This is because it was the Siamese twins Taema and Tilafaga who brought the knowledge of tattooing to Samoa from Fiji. The twins born undivided were severed violently by a ship’s spar, became warlike and fled to Fiji where they acquired the art of tattooing. As they swam along their return journey to Samoa the sight of a large clam on the seabed distracted the twins and when they surfaced from retrieving it, muddled their chant. The chant, Tatau fafine,ae le tatau tane (tattoo the women, don’t tattoo the men) became Tatau tane,ae le tatau fafine (tattoo the men, don’t tattoo the women)."

"Taema and Tilafaiga were female siamese twins who were joined at the spine. When the twins were grown, they decided to travel away from Ta'u, the island of their birth. As they were swimming, the spar of a canoe struck them and severed the join between them. After several adventures on other islands, the twins reached Fiji where they meet two tatau (tattoo) artists, Tufou and Filelei, who taught them the art of tattooing. They also taught them a song (or a spell according to some sources) to recite when they were tattooing someone. When the twins returned to Samoa, Tilafaiga became a war goddess, while Taema became a tattooist and teacher of the art that she had learned in Fiji."

Slight variations from village to village. Check around the net.

If you are interested in the Malu. I would recommend you take a trip to Samoa. Get it done the traditional way.
          Last edited by PoiBoy; February 6, 2007, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Perhaps look at it as revering your masaga, not depicting an angel. Pray on it.

pax

Comment

we wouldnt be able to go samoa for awhile. my mom is definately going to take us but might not be for a few years and i dont want to wait that long. any god places on the net i can look? thanks again

Comment

Re: Samoan Tattooing

When you go to Hawai'i check out the tattoo shops. Google is your friend.

Comment

Yep I know. Im going to check out my friend at liquid metal and explain what Id like and see what he can come up with.. Im also going to check out this guy at hart and hunnington.. i forget his name.. but i know hes in hawaii

Comment

There is a guy - I think his name is Ni. He does Samoan tatau and I have seen his work on a few of my friends. I'll email them and see if I can get contact info for you. He lives in Aina Haina if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

I got lucky and 'googled' Nii...I found his website....here's the link:

http://tongan_tattoo.tripod.com/TonganTattoo/id7.html

Very informative site as well. Enjoy the info....

Comment

Originally posted by Ms_Aloha_Nui View Post
                        I got lucky and 'googled' Nii...I found his website....here's the link:

http://tongan_tattoo.tripod.com/TonganTattoo/id7.html

Very informative site as well. Enjoy the info....
                        Thank you I appreciate that. I emailed and hope to hear back from him. If not maybe Ill call him up when I get home. Again I appreciate it. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X