To Spank Or Not To Spank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To Spank Or Not To Spank?

There's a fine line between beating and spanking.

What people called spanking in the 50's could really be considered beating.

We were raised with "spanking"....I don't think 150 swats till we bled was "spanking".

You would think with that kind of history I would be totally anti-spanking.
    But with 3 boys....I don't know.

I think discipline is in the way you perform it. Spank or no spank.

When my dad came to give me one swat that didn't even hurt I was more terrified then when my mother gave me 80. Her's hurt and bruised but when it came to dad it was the disappointment he had in me that hurt more.

It was the tone and the fear not the actual hitting.

I think spanking is done wrong, completely wrong.

When I was a kid if someone sat down calmy and explained why and what and how then gave me a swat I would remember it and use it to learn, if they came a wailing and yelling and beating...well, that's just NOT spanking.

So how many cents is that? Have I passed 2 yet (:
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
      [INDENT]Ho da hybolic, eh Uncle? Sorry, couldn't resist.
      Nor should you, lurkah, nor should you.

Comment

some need a spank more then others but as long as you show them love as well i think its ok, specially if they are real bad some days
        *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
        http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiidreaming
          some need a spank more then others but as long as you show them love as well i think its ok, specially if they are real bad some days
          I can imagine abusive spouses using this same logic, unfortunately.

What a mixed message it sends to the developing mind of a child: "I love you, you know that?" - WHAP! (Love = Pain)

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
            Except when it's not just one's frustration. How does one reason with a 2yr. old? How many times should little Kimo be allowed to put his finger in the socket before a swat is preferable?
            There are covers for sockets. As far as how many times...what ever it takes...usually a lifetime lol. What if adults received a spanking for mistakes they made on a daily basis. We would all be black and blue!

Comment

Posted by Leo Lakio: What a mixed message it sends to the developing mind of a child: "I love you, you know that?" - WHAP! (Love = Pain)
              IMHO, I dont think thats actually how it's meant/done. The post below I think better explains what is meant.

Posted by Blueyecicle: When I was a kid if someone sat down calmy and explained why and what and how then gave me a swat I would remember it and use it to learn,
              I use different methods of dicipline including time outs, extra chores, taking away priveledges and sometimes in combination. The mere mention of taking away their video games causes an amazing change od attitude in my home, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBoy
                IMHO, I dont think thats actually how it's meant/done. The post below I think better explains what is meant.

I use different methods of dicipline including time outs, extra chores, taking away priveledges and sometimes in combination. The mere mention of taking away their video games causes an amazing change od attitude in my home, lol.
                I use that to but it doesn't always work on my boys!
                I have even stripped the room! But there are complications...as in any family...a birth mother who does not discipline at all...a grandmother who visits...other "issues".
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by cherla42
                  There are covers for sockets. As far as how many times...what ever it takes...usually a lifetime lol. What if adults received a spanking for mistakes they made on a daily basis. We would all be black and blue!
                  I don't spank for mistakes. I spank for continued disobediance after time-outs and multiple warnings of impending corporal consequences. Also, I happen to support spankings for adults in certain circumstances.
                  Last edited by sinjin; August 30, 2006, 10:47 AM.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    I can imagine abusive spouses using this same logic, unfortunately.

What a mixed message it sends to the developing mind of a child: "I love you, you know that?" - WHAP! (Love = Pain)
                    haha very funny , as if
                    *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
                    http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Comment

Posted by Sinjin: Also, I happen to support spankings for adults in certain circumstances.
                      Oh my, please do tell .

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBoy
                        Oh my, please do tell .
                        I meant the kind against their will, you dirty, dirty thing.
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I meant the kind against their will, you dirty, dirty thing.
                          Combined with your signature:
                          The beatings will continue until morale improves.
                          that message is so complete.

Comment

Beating kids is child abuse; spanking isn't (Commentary)
                            California Assemblywoman Sally Lieber, D-San Francisco, has proposed a law that would prohibit parental spanking of children younger than 4. The law, not yet drafted, would make spanking a child 3 or younger a crime punishable by a fine and/or jail time.

"I think it's pretty hard to argue you need to beat a child 3 years old or younger," said Lieber.

I agree with that. In fact, I'll expand that to include any age child. But of course, Lieber is using "beat" to mean any swat to a child's rear parts, and in so doing, she is revealing a predilection for emotional hyperactivity, the province of the demagogue.

Comment

i give em sasas on the hands or muli. not hard and not more than once.

Comment

if you grew up in Hawaii, the chances are you were on the wrong end stick,hand, etc... It's part of growing up with 'Aloha'. When I was young I was give usually a choice of tool that would be used against my now calist okole. Auntie normally would give me her plastic hair brush. Uncle gave me the choice of belt, or tree branch!

With my 8yr old. I started with the soft spoken rational,"why we don't do this" angle. When that no longer worked. The stern loud voice was good for a few years...then it lost it's effect? My oldest realized that an ass wiping wouldn't follow all the screaming. So these days yelling can be follwed by a single spank to the okole,or a swift kick to the okole. Either way only one "whack" is forthcoming, and it is followed with an explantion as to why it went down the way it did.

I feel like I'm in a hard situation. Trying to explain to an 8 yr old why he is getting spanked isn't easy. He can't see any love in his father's disipline!? But I tell him if I didn't love him, I wouldn't correct him on anything. It's because I love you that I correct your actions!

Kids have tough time understanding "tough love"!

Comment

Working...
                                X