Problems with OS X 10.5.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with OS X 10.5.3

Ack! OS X 10.5.3 rolled out today and it's not playing well with my MBP. I ran Software Update, and it installed itself and then asked me to restart my system. So I did. But before my MBP finished restarting, the Gray Curtain came down and told me that I had to... restart... my... system.

After a couple of iterations of this I realized that something was broken and it wasn't going to fix itself. So I booted up in Safe Mode, which worked. It's what I'm using right now. Since things seem to work OK in Safe Mode, I am guessing that means that 10.5.3 doesn't like one of the apps that automatically starts up on my MBP. How do I figure out which is the offending app?

Re: Problems with OS X 10.5.3

What is MBP and the Gray Curtain?

Comment

MBP = MacBook Pro
      Gray Curtain = an OS X kernel panic

Comment

did you repair permissions before the update?

did you disconnect EVERYTHING from the MBP during the update. sometimes an external device connected can cause hiccups. I always play it safe and remove all my external drives, etc...

yeah also go to system prefs and remove all the login items that might cause a problem.

That sucks... I ran it last night with no problems on my 17" MBP, but it took FOREVER to shutdown and reboot. it's a very large update 420mb, biggest to date.
        website - http://www.brianhancock.com
        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

I just installed the update on a fairly new 2.0 GHZ Mac Mini and it runs like a champ (so far). Best part yet is that it fixed a keystroke conflict between the OS and Adobe CS InDesign. Before this update, you couldn't command+H (hide) InDesign, or if it did, it would remain hidden, yet still open, and the only way to get it back would be to force quit and restart InDesign.

Now I can command+H InDesign to hide it, and to retrieve it, tab back through the open apps to bring it forward.. and it works. Finally. Sheesh.

All other CS apps (Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver & Acrobat Pro) seem to be working fine as they were before. Same for browser and print drivers. Thank goodness no NEW headaches.

Shutdown and restart times aren't any different after vs. before the update, as far as I could tell.

What a hog though. Half a gig? Ouch!

To note, I repaired disk permissions before running the installation. As I always do, and often do just as part of routine OS X maintenance.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            To note, I repaired disk permissions before running the installation. As I always do, and often do just as part of routine OS X maintenance.
            Ha ha. And whaddaya' know! Loogie here what this says...
            UPDATE: 4/1/2008
            OS X 10.5 has improved the permissions situation where it is now NOT recommended to perform Repair Permissions as a routine maintenance procedure or as a precaution before system updates. Repair Permissions will only fix permissions of Apple installed software or software that has left a installation receipt in the /Library/Receipts folder. It will not affect permissions on user data. That should be done using the Get Info. window in the File menu.
            Just can't win!

Oh well, it's running fine now. That's all that matters.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

After reading this thread, I decided to download the update sooner than later. As far as I can tell everything works fine. (I have a MacBook Pro.)

I have InDesign CS3 as well, so I tried the "hide" thingy (command+H) and that works.

It did take a long time to reboot, though. In fact, it rebooted twice, and I was getting a little worried there.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                [...]How do I figure out which is the offending app?
                Is it time for the Genius Bar?

Comment

all of the major 10.5.x releases take a lot longer than normal to shutdown and reboot. even rebooting 2 or more times... it's installing the updates and making a lot of files changes...

after the initial shutdown and reboots, it will be back to normal with quicker times...
                  website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                  blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Working...
                  X