Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Circuit Circus
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
Kia`aina

Default Re: Mac vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
You've only had them for two years...wait until next year when the power supply craps out and you have to buy a DELL power supply because a standard third party (better than Dell) PSU won't fit unless you modify the Dell computer case. BTW Dell uses 230-Watt power supplies, grossly underrated for DVD burning or gaming graphics or even Pentium 4 power needs. BTW that's for desktops. The laptop PSU's are okay.

Also the memory modules they use tend to go south after a few years for reasons I still can't figure out.

And lastly, the motherboards end up cracking due to expansion. Even their IDE cables that route the hard drive or the optical disks tend to fail sooner than most aftermarket cables.

In order to price Dells cheaper than what most system builders can build one from scratch, Dell uses inferior products when assembling a computer. About the only thing good I can say about Dell is that they use damned near bulletproof cases. But then again most people will only look at the cover and not the content.

Dell's laptops fair better than their desktops but in either case, they skimp on quality control in order to optain really low prices.

Talk to me in about a year and tell me Dell is the bomb. At 2-years ANY computer should give you trouble-free performance. I'd sell it before three years come up while it's still running great.
Well, that certainly is depressing, and I guess you would know since you are a "computer guy" ~ now that you have ruined my day, what do you recommend for my next purchase, since I only have a short time left with my Dell.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
Ali`i

Take it out for a farewell dinner and sell it before it depreciates beyond worth or dies before hand.

I build my own and pick motherboards that will stay current for a few years. That way even my three year old "Project" will be Vista Capable when I'm ready to buy it.

Hey it's been giving you over 2-years of loyal service...that's longer than some personal relationships!

But I'd cut my losses and dump it before it burns you and it will...
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:48 AM
Kanaka

Quote:
You've only had them for two years...wait until next year when the power supply craps out and you have to buy a DELL power supply because a standard third party (better than Dell) PSU won't fit unless you modify the Dell computer case. BTW Dell uses 230-Watt power supplies, grossly underrated for DVD burning or gaming graphics or even Pentium 4 power needs. BTW that's for desktops. The laptop PSU's are okay.

Also the memory modules they use tend to go south after a few years for reasons I still can't figure out.

And lastly, the motherboards end up cracking due to expansion. Even their IDE cables that route the hard drive or the optical disks tend to fail sooner than most aftermarket cables.

In order to price Dells cheaper than what most system builders can build one from scratch, Dell uses inferior products when assembling a computer. About the only thing good I can say about Dell is that they use damned near bulletproof cases. But then again most people will only look at the cover and not the content.

Dell's laptops fair better than their desktops but in either case, they skimp on quality control in order to optain really low prices.

Talk to me in about a year and tell me Dell is the bomb. At 2-years ANY computer should give you trouble-free performance. I'd sell it before three years come up while it's still running great.
I have 2 Dell Desktop computers. One is over 3 years old and the other one I had it now for 18 months. Not one problem with either one. The power supply in the newer one is 350 watts. In both of them I have internal and external dvd burners. Both internal dvd burners as well as both large HD's in both of them are hooked up using SATA. Now I know one thing that was bad about the Dells and that was the type of DVD-Rom and Dvd Burners they were installing in their desktops. I know the Dvd-burners were Philips. Even though they were offering me a free dvd burner upgrade both times I purchased my Dells I pass up the offer. I installed Pioneer, LG, NEC and the last one was a 20x Lite-On.

Now lets talk about my Moms HP computers. Her HP she brought about 3-4 years ago the power supply died after 6 months. We took it back to Comp USA and they told us that is a known problem with this model. I said how come never said some thing about this when we brought that particular model. We are told only now they are finding out about this since more and more people are having power supply problems with this model. I tell them maybe you or HP should have a recall or something. So they replace the PS only to fail less than a year later. They replace it once again.

Not about a year later she buys a new HP 13 months later the HD starts acting up. I go with her to Comp USA. Good thing she purchased a extended warranty. Because it would of cost her money to replace the HD since the original warranty is only 12 months. They test the HD and says it's fine must be a virus. So they reformat the drive and do a fresh install on it. Take it home the next day. One day later she starts having problems with the HD. It boots up real slow. Now this just after a new restore has been done to the HD. Also about every other time she turns her computer it ask her if she wants to boot up in safe mode. So back we go and I am pissed as hell. I tell the idiots that the HD is bad. They boot it up at the store and it boots up fine. They look at me like I am a idiot. I told them it boots up fine sometimes and sometimes she has all these problems. So they are going to keep it over night. Which turned into a week until we went back and starting bitching about how long it takes to replace the HD. Hell I could of changed it myself and gotten her a bigger one. They finally bring it out and say it was a bad HD. I told them we won't be buying any more computers from them.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:00 AM
Ali`i

HP sucks too. I did say that didin't I

Anyway even at 380-watts you're still running under what I would consider safe. 400-watts or better in my book.

How much did your mom pay for the extended warranty? Hopefully not more than the cost of a replacement HD.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:34 AM

I don't know what party has to do with this, but I'll declare that I am Republican and use and own Macs. Several over the years.

However where I work we are stuck in Windows hell, and several times there has been hell to pay with viral infections attacking the entire Windows network.

Lucky I bring my Mac laptop with me to work so I can still do some work while the Windows stuff is going crazy.

The good thing about Microsoft's and Apple's agreement of 1997 (and several follow-ups throughout the years) is that most of the MS office suite work seamlessly between the Windows and Mac versions... which means the Word and Excel files can swap from one platform to another without much trouble... at least on later versions of the Mac OS.

As for Dell, the workplace has them and we've had mixed results. I've seen brand new Dells die in weeks and some old ones chugging along without much hardware problems. I think your mileage will vary.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:51 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
I don't know what party has to do with this, but I'll declare that I am Republican and use and own Macs. Several over the years.

However where I work we are stuck in Windows hell, and several times there has been hell to pay with viral infections attacking the entire Windows network.

Lucky I bring my Mac laptop with me to work so I can still do some work while the Windows stuff is going crazy.

The good thing about Microsoft's and Apple's agreement of 1997 (and several follow-ups throughout the years) is that most of the MS office suite work seamlessly between the Windows and Mac versions... which means the Word and Excel files can swap from one platform to another without much trouble... at least on later versions of the Mac OS.

As for Dell, the workplace has them and we've had mixed results. I've seen brand new Dells die in weeks and some old ones chugging along without much hardware problems. I think your mileage will vary.
I would get a mac, but:

I HATE THOSE DAMN "GET A MAC" ADS.

No thank you Mr. Snarky Mac guy always, ripping on poor Mr. PC, spreading your FUD.

(I have more to say than that, but I'd just be wasting breath)
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:17 AM
Ali`i

You know with those smug Apple ads running now, it's just a matter of time when Mac's will feel the brunt of a hacker. Smugness wasn't one of Apple's traits in the past, now it is. It reeks even when you walk into an Apple store. It's like you have to be hip to be seen inside one.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:19 AM
Ali`i

I had an old Mac Plus in the front window of the aerospace museum at the airport. I set up a repeating slide show on the machine and it ran for 2.5 years, 24 hours a day, without once crashing.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:44 AM
Luna

Quote:
You know with those smug Apple ads running now, it's just a matter of time when Mac's will feel the brunt of a hacker. Smugness wasn't one of Apple's traits in the past, now it is. It reeks even when you walk into an Apple store. It's like you have to be hip to be seen inside one.
Bring it on.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:53 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
What, Craig, you're not HIP ? You're Craigwatanabee fer chrissakes.
Buy an Apple Craig, I guarantee you won't regret it.
Oh, and your 6 kids will love you for it
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:36 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1941 View Post
I had an old Mac Plus in the front window of the aerospace museum at the airport. I set up a repeating slide show on the machine and it ran for 2.5 years, 24 hours a day, without once crashing.
Once had a chance to pull up stats on a Cisco router in a very remote area. Uptime, something like 6 years.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:11 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Take it out for a farewell dinner and sell it before it depreciates beyond worth or dies before hand.

I build my own and pick motherboards that will stay current for a few years. That way even my three year old "Project" will be Vista Capable when I'm ready to buy it.

Hey it's been giving you over 2-years of loyal service...that's longer than some personal relationships!

But I'd cut my losses and dump it before it burns you and it will...
LOL very funny Craig. You know after reading this thread I think I will explore a Mac next time but I'll just keep the Dell until it dies and consider it an experiment in longevity...canít focus on one more project at the moment considering all of the work involved with the move. Iím just burnt out on selling stuff ~ canít part with the lap top at this point, I have too many photos and too much music on it.

I work in the convention business and we have Mac in house a couple of times a year and one reason I didnít buy one is because I canít stand their cooler than thou attitude. But most of my friends own Macs and they are having great luck with them. So Iíll let you know how our relationship progresses before I dump the Dell.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
Kia`aina

I don't know how or why I quoted Mel up there. I must have hit quote and not realized.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:52 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
The Apple Store design is very, very cool...esp. the one in Kahala Mall. But, jeez, Craig...I'm just one, ol', unhip, untechie tutu who spends way too much time in the store!!! Oh wait...maybe the "hipness" will eventually rub off on me! Maybe? Ya think?
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
The Apple Store design is very, very cool...esp. the one in Kahala Mall. But, jeez, Craig...I'm just one, ol', unhip, untechie tutu who spends way too much time in the store!!! Oh wait...maybe the "hipness" will eventually rub off on me! Maybe? Ya think?
Hey Sue, you're in "the biz", so, not matter what, you're a card carrying hipster...sorry, you have no choice.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Actually, one of the main things that made me go Mac was PC owners. They kept standing around talking gibberish about coding prompts and frustrated attempts trying to get their machines to work. I realized these people were being "coded" by their machines instead of the user simply being able to use his tool...
All depends on what's important to you; the work you can accomplish on your computer, or the work you do to get your computer to accomplish something.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
that has been a threat looming over mac users' heads for years and years. We have dealt with worms and bugs and stuff before. Par for the course, as far as any computer user is concerned. However, when it comes to smug, having been a mac user exclusively for 15+ years now, I assure you that I have run into more than my fair share of it by the windows crowd, as if I was some dolt who really doesn't realize that the bus left an hour ago. The collective pity cannot be matched by a few mac commericals, trust me.

pax
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:05 PM
Kia`aina

I think half the problem with this argument is that both side want to say that their way is better, when in reality it all comes down to preference and opinion.

I personally use Linux, and I think it's the best thing that ever happened to computers. For me it just works! However, there are thousands of people for whom Linux just doesn't work. It makes me wonder what their complaining about, and why they are cursing a system that works so well for me. Naturally I want to sing praises and tell them that my way is the only way, but thats just not true.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Kumu

Anyone like the Wow Vista commercials?

We have a Vista PC and the first comment was "huh ... looks like a Mac interface."
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
I think half the problem with this argument is that both side want to say that their way is better, when in reality it all comes down to preference and opinion.

I never said PC's were better. As a matter of fact I did say if you can afford a Mac then heck why not. AND Mac's have never had the threats of hackers in the past because they were always low-key. NOW however they are advertising, but it is the way they're advertising that is irking some people.

There are two ways to market a product. One way is to sell it's virtues, the other way is to denegrade the competition to make your product seem that much better. Why spend precious advertising dollars mocking the competition.

But the truth in advertising is simply this: If a product is that good you don't need to advertise it. BMW, Porche, even Jaguar never needed to advertise until they were hit with poor sales.

Apple never needed to advertise...

And it's not the Mac's that are keeping Apple afloat, it's the iPod! So why are they advertising Apple computers? Answer two paragraphs above.

A friend of mine programs Mac's. He's been doing it for decades! He told me once that what makes an Apple so easy to use up front is the myriad of complex code that runs quietly in the background. He also tells me that it doesn't take much to put that code into chaos once you know how to get in there. AND he did say that one day some program will leave that backdoor open and a hacker will find a way inside...and then it's all over for Apple's security.

And when that happens, it'll make Microsoft look like a blessed saint because so far there isn't a whole lot of tech support for Mac's if they go down.

If a PC running MS XP went down tonight, one could go down to CompUSA and pick up everything needed to rebuild a computer from the ground up. If a Mac went down, Oh well the Apple store opens bright and midmorning early the next day, but you won't find a motherboard for sale there.

PC's are relatively easy to fix, Mac's aren't. Kinda like a Chevy and a Ferrari. Ferrari's run fast and smooth but when they break...$$$$$ When Chevy's break any garage gearhead could fix one for a case of beer.

Anyway Mac's are great computers but I wouldn't be bragging about it, especially if I didn't know how the darn thing works because it will fail one day, there is no magic inside these computers. Plus when one starts to brag, bachi will soon follow, what goes around comes around. And that's my point of contention about Mac's, those commercials are all about bragging and that's not cool.
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Luna

Send a message via AIM to DaFerret Send a message via MSN to DaFerret

I have a PC for gaming and a MacBook for everything else. I enjoy both of them. If I weren't into gaming, I'd probably go for the cheapest laptop to get stuff done, which would probably be a MS laptop.

Back in the day I used to be really into customizing my PC and buying individual parts for it, but nowadays I just want to get a set and be done with it.

I like to attribute my purchase of a MacBook to the Halo Effect since I had an iPod prior (of course, I also had a secondhand Powerbook 150 around '97-98, which incidentally was my first laptop). >_> I don't care for most of the Mac commercials but there are a few that I find funny.

I much prefer the Switch commercials. Or better yet... no commercials and only the positive word-of-mouth advertisements I heard when talking with friends who love their Macs.
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFerret View Post
[...]Or better yet... no commercials and only the positive word-of-mouth advertisements I heard when talking with friends who love their Macs.
B-b-but DaFerret...that'd put me outta business! I was called to cast the voice over for the Cube spots and even offered the ad agency that I'd trade product for time! They couldn't do a trade...so I traded for money instead! Gotta keep all those commercials comin' in...not just the Apple ones!
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Luna

Send a message via AIM to DaFerret Send a message via MSN to DaFerret

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
B-b-but DaFerret...that'd put me outta business! I was called to cast the voice over for the Cube spots and even offered the ad agency that I'd trade product for time! They couldn't do a trade...so I traded for money instead! Gotta keep all those commercials comin' in...not just the Apple ones!
Oh! Ohhhh.... I meant, umm... no commercials that you don't work in/for/on!
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFerret View Post
Oh! Ohhhh.... I meant, umm... no commercials that you don't work in/for/on!
I mute the shows and watch the commercials! I just happen to really like Apple's spots. You can give me a raspberry if ya like!
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Ali`i

BTW, in terms of cost, the older Mac blue-and-whites are dirt cheap and they're easy to pop open and customize. They'll also attach to anything. I've rebuilt several from the ground up.