URL not syntactically valid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URL not syntactically valid?

It's becoming more and more common for me to receive email with links that, when I hover the cursor over the link, read "The URL is not syntactically valid". Of course, that renders the link useless. What causes this? It's become more prevalent over the past couple of weeks. In case it's important:
    Mac OS 10.6
    Eudora 6.2.4

Re: Not syntactically valid?

can you copy and past the URL that is in question? Sometimes when links are copied and pasted in an email, it may add another item making that URL invalid or written wrong hence there is a syntax error.

You can try opening that URL in your browser and see if the browser will open it up correctly. I get a bit leary when a URL is posted within an email especially when it's from someone I don't know.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

These emails that you are receiving, are these coming from people you know or just from some random person?

Are only seeing this in email messages and not in web pages?

Would something like this be an example:

htt://www.hawaiithreads.com

Please note the link above will not lead to anything and will cause a webpage is cannot be displayed error since the p in http is missing.
      Last edited by helen; August 20, 2011, 08:27 PM.

Comment

These very lengthy, invalid URLs are hyperlinks within email only, not in a web page. The only way I can see the URL is to hover the cursor over the hyperlink. It's not possible to copy and paste them into a browser. All the emails that contain this problem are from companies I've subscribed to. If there is more than one hyperlink within the email, often all are "not syntactically valid".

When I was setting up my new iPod at the Apple Store I received an email from "appleid@apple.com" with a hyperlink to verify my account. That hyperlink was "not syntactically valid" and had the Apple instructor stumped!

Weird!

Comment

By any chance two or three weeks ago you updated any software on your computer system?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            The only way I can see the URL is to hover the cursor over the hyperlink. It's not possible to copy and paste them into a browser.
            Here is how to copy the hyperlink into a browser. Hover your cursor over the hyperlink. Right click the mouse button to get a menu window. Left click at the bottom of the menu on "properties" A properties box will pop up with the URL in it. Copy and paste that URL into your browser. If that doesn't work, post the URL on this thread and let us analyze the hyperlink URL for syntax. Last, ditch the Mac and get a REAL PC.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              By any chance two or three weeks ago you updated any software on your computer system?
              I'm set for automatic updates and did update the OS a couple of weeks ago, now that I think about it. You've given me an idea, Helen. I have a new computer as of last Feb. I'll check my old computer to see if I had the same problem. I think I did but I'll check to make sure.
              Originally posted by matapule View Post
              Here is how to copy the hyperlink into a browser. Hover your cursor over the hyperlink. Right click the mouse button to get a menu window. Left click at the bottom of the menu on "properties" A properties box will pop up with the URL in it. Copy and paste that URL into your browser. If that doesn't work, post the URL on this thread and let us analyze the hyperlink URL for syntax. Last, ditch the Mac and get a REAL PC.
              No mouse. No right or left clicks! The URLs are between 150 and 200 characters in length. I'm not patient enough to type them! And I'll never, ever ditch my Mac! Ever! Love it...plus it's the standard platform for my industry.

Comment

Using the Bing search engine I entered the following text:

"The URL is not syntactically valid"

And I got 8 results, one of them was this very thread. Anyway the top results was this link to yet another vbulletin forum. The URL to that thread is this:

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=5871

One of the observations seem to be Eudora can't handle long URLs.

If this is true you don't have to ditch the Macintosh, but you might to have an alternate way of reading email.

On the topic of not doing right/left mouse clicks, that is a Windows thing not a Macintosh thing. However you can add a Windows type mouse to your Macintosh. You don't have to replace it but you can have 2 or more mouses on a computer.

With MacOS you can get a piece of software called VMFusion and with that your Macintosh can run some other operating system, like Windows or Linux while still running MacOS.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  No mouse. No right or left clicks! The URLs are between 150 and 200 characters in length.
                  You have a touchpad, right? I'm not familiar with the McMAC protocol to bring up the "properties" window, but there's got to be a way. 150 to 200 characters for a URL is an interesting clue!
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The Mac equivalent for right click on a touchpad is two finger tap and click, and you get an option for copying.

Comment

Thx so much for that link, Helen. I bet it's the opening quote mark without the closing quote mark that's the problem (per the last post at that link). I just rechecked my last invalid url email and every hyperlink is missing the end quote mark. Other email with lengthy but working URLs have no quote marks at all. And...I have/had no intention of ditching my Mac!

Matapule...yes, a touchpad.

Honoruru...I can't get the two finger tap and click to work, even after turning it on in system preferences. User error, I'm sure!

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        If this is true you don't have to ditch the Macintosh, but you might to have an alternate way of reading email.
                        I've heard good things about Thunderbird. They seem to have a Mac version.

Personally I use Gmail. Best spam filter - bar none. It's also been great with links, including links that tend to break in other clients.

Comment

Working...
                        X