DVD to CD; no DVD drive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD to CD; no DVD drive!

The Apple Store rescued my email this evening by backing it up to a DVD before sending my computer to the mainland for repair...a DVD because my Eudora folder is 1.2gb. I needed some of those email this evening for work so I breathed a huge sigh of relief on the drive home.

And, here I sit with my 6 year old iBook, relieved that I even have a back up computer to use. Then I realize the ol' iBook doesn't have a DVD drive...only a CD drive that reads but doesn't write!

My brain is fried from all the tech talk at the Genius Bar. Genius Ryan was poetry in motion as he handled the entire Genius Bar by himself for the almost hour I was there. Ryan in my hero!

So...what might be the easiest and fastest way to get the contents of the DVD split between 2 CDs? My scrambled brain just isn't capable of putting 2 and 2 together right now. I could easily be missing the obvious!

TIA...

Re: DVD to CD; no DVD drive!

That depends on the contents of the DVD itself. If it contains multiple files on it then yeah you can break it up to multiple CD's as long as the files that are contained on it do not exceed 600 to 700 Mbytes.

However what you will need is not have on it on multiple CDs but rather transfer the data from the DVD to a USB flash drive that holds 2 to 4 Gbytes which will run around $11 to $20, but that's way better that purchasing a $100 DVD external drive.

Comment

Brilliant, Helen! Why didn't I think of that...esp. since I have plenty of external hard drives (including flash) sitting around? Maybe I'll see if the Genius Bar will do it for me since I don't have a DVD drive available. The worst they can do is say no! Then I'm back to square one!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Brilliant, Helen! Why didn't I think of that...esp. since I have plenty of external hard drives (including flash) sitting around? Maybe I'll see if the Genius Bar will do it for me since I don't have a DVD drive available. The worst they can do is say no! Then I'm back to square one!

Thanks!
        Does any of your own friends have a computer with DVD drive and USB port for your external HD?
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          Does any of your own friends have a computer with DVD drive and USB port for your external HD?
          I have an appt. at the Apple Store this morning. If they won't do it I do have an offer of help from a colleague. My ext. HDs are firewire. My flash drives, I found out, don't have enough memory.

Comment

Longs Ala Moana sells 2 GByte flash drives for around $10. 4 Gbytes flash drives would be around the $20 range. It's at the photo department.

Comment

Thanks, Helen! I scoured the bowels of my closet and found another flash drive that should work.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                [...]Maybe I'll see if the Genius Bar will do it for me since I don't have a DVD drive available. The worst they can do is say no! [...]
                The Apple Store said yes and, once again, Genius Ryan is my hero! I'm back in business. Now I have a whole lotta work to catch up on.

Comment

Now I'm missing my iCal calendar...bad...really bad! I have no idea what's on my schedule for next week 'cept a casting session on Wednesday. Doc appts? Meetings? Hot dates? Bungee jumping? I'm seriously lost! Once again I'll head back to the Genius Bar with DVD back-up in hand in the hopes that a Genius can and will get iCal off the DVD and onto my iPod. Do you think that's possible? Wish I'd thought of it when I was there this morning. I've gotten my ProCare membership money's worth in just the last 24 hours!

Comment

Working...
                  X