The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3

Saw the movie The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 at the Ward Theater this afternoon.

I knew this movie is a remake from the 1970's but since I never saw the original I have no idea how different this movie is from the original.

Overall the movie was kind of an average action movie.

Re: The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3

Same premise just set to modern day New York versus the other one obviously took place in the mid 70's

Bad Guys take a bunch of innocent civilians hostage in a subway that stays idle in a isolated subway tunnel....

Ransom demand is made or else each hostage goes bang bang one by one

Attempts are made throughout the film by the transit cops aka the good guys to overtake the idle subway car and take out the bad guys (I ASSUME because I have yet to see the remake but I have seen the far much superior 1974 version)

The only difference is the character Denzel Washington which was Walter Matthau in the '74 film is Washington's character is on foot. Matthau stayed put at his desk while communicating with bad guy leader Robert Shaw (Jaws) where John Travolta is the badee in the newer version.

Fun Fact Trivia, The Pelham Remake is actually the 3rd revamped version of the book where there was a 1998 version that came out on ABC which I recall seeing because I was still in Hawaii at the time. NKOTB/Actor Donnie Wahlberg played one of the bad guys.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140594/
    Last edited by DannyWilliams; June 15, 2009, 03:37 AM.

Comment

I've seen all three. I don't remember the made-for-TV movie being very good, so it probably wasn't. The original is one of my favorite movies of all time, however. This 2009 remake is good, but I still like the original better.

They changed up the story a little for this remake and left out what to me was the best part: the sneezes. The ending of this new one falls totally flat. I liked the slower pacing of the original; the way it slowly builds into the hijacking. This new one jumps in almost right away.

One thing I do like about this new one is the characters. I thought John Travolta and Denzel Washington's characters were more interesting than their counterparts from the original. I always thought the mayor from the original one was a little cartoony, but I liked James Gandolfini's mayor.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
        I've seen all three. I don't remember the made-for-TV movie being very good, so it probably wasn't.

The TV Movie version of Pelham was indeed NOT a good film overall though IMDB mentions that the pacing supposedly follows the book versus the original did not.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
          I liked James Gandolfini's mayor.
          So did I, as well as John Turturro who played the police hostage negotiator.

Comment

I liked it though some of the subplots were silly. NYPD represented as keystone cops or Sheriff Lobo with all of the crashes here and there.

Was nice to see Vinny Barbarino back in NYC....

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
              Was nice to see Vinny Barbarino back in NYC....
              When did Barbarino let himself go?

Comment

will watch the remake soon but the original was a delight; watched it years after it was made so i got a kick out of seeing so many well-known actors; e.g., hey! that's felix unger's roommate!

yeah, the ending of the original flick was pretty funny... and the tired look of walter m's face through the door after hearing the sneeze is priceless....
                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                X