The Iraq War - Chapter 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Stop the War in Iraq

What does it take, America? What will it take before we demand our troops come home? Not only have the US military death tolls in Iraq risen astronomically since Bush declared “Mission Accomplished”, but on an almost daily basis military heavyweights and Middle East scholars alike tell us what a huge mess we are creating the longer we stay. Retired generals have come forward calling for Rumsfeld’s resignation for bungling the Iraq war. A US National Intelligence Estimate has recently been leaked that concluded the Iraq war has helped create a new generation of Islamic radicalism and that the overall terrorist threat has grown since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. A recent estimate by Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health puts the Iraqi death toll since the start of the war at 655,000 deaths. Almost 2800 US soldiers have been killed. Over 21,000 US soldiers have been wounded. The war has cost more than 300 billion dollars so far. What else has to happen before Americans wake up and do something about this? President Bush has said that while he is President, we will not leave Iraq. What Mr. Bush doesn’t seem to remember, is that it’s not up to him. He is not a monarch. While the constitution calls him “commander in chief” of the army and navy, Congress has the sole power to declare war. And Congress has the power to bring our troops home. And who controls Congress? We do — American voters. The current Republican-controlled Congress has shown that they do not have the courage to stand up to Bush. Please vote for change in the upcoming November 7 Election. If you really support the troops, you will do your civic duty to change their tour of duty — VOTE.
    If you really support the troops, you will do your civic duty to change their tour of duty — VOTE FOR CHANGE NOV 7.

sigpic

Comment

Re: Iraq War Called Illegal by Hawai‘i Army Lieutenant

http://armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2333360.php

I find it interesting the Army Times is printing Editorials saying Rumsfeld should step down!

Now, the president says he’ll stick with Rumsfeld for the balance of his term in the White House.
      This is a mistake. It is one thing for the majority of Americans to think Rumsfeld has failed. But when the nation’s current military leaders start to break publicly with their defense secretary, then it is clear that he is losing control of the institution he ostensibly leads....
      Rumsfeld has lost credibility with the uniformed leadership, with the troops, with Congress and with the public at large. His strategy has failed, and his ability to lead is compromised. And although the blame for our failures in Iraq rests with the secretary, it will be the troops who bear its brunt.
      This is not about the midterm elections. Regardless of which party wins Nov. 7, the time has come, Mr. President, to face the hard bruising truth:
      Donald Rumsfeld must go.
      Isn't printing something like this in their paper close to being criminal in the military court of law?

Comment

Re: Iraq War Called Illegal by Hawai‘i Army Lieutenant

The call for Rumsfeld to resign has reached unprecedented proportions. That editorial above will be appearing in the Army Times, Navy Times, the Marine Times and the Air Force Times (all owned by the Military Times Media Group, which is a subsidiary of the Gannett Co.) on Monday. This is the first time that active military leaders are going on record as saying Rumsfeld has to go.

I just hope for the publishers' sakes that their financial affairs are in order for when the federales come beating down their doors to try to find something to accuse the company of in an effort to punish them for opposing the President.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: The Iraq War - Chapter 5

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post

I find it interesting the Army Times is printing Editorials saying Rumsfeld should step down!
          Isn't printing something like this in their paper close to being criminal in the military court of law?
          Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          The call for Rumsfeld to resign has reached unprecedented proportions. That editorial above will be appearing in the Army Times, Navy Times, the Marine Times and the Air Force Times (all owned by the Military Times Media Group, which is a subsidiary of the Gannett Co.) on Monday. This is the first time that active military leaders are going on record as saying Rumsfeld has to go.

I just hope for the publishers' sakes that their financial affairs are in order for when the federales come beating down their doors to try to find something to accuse the company of in an effort to punish them for opposing the President.

Miulang
          I wonder if our local media will pick up on this?

Comment

The President's faux pas

While our erstwhile President was out campaigning in Greeley, CO today, during a particularly intense part of his speech, he blurted out "the only way we can win the war is to leave before the job is done..." He quickly realized his gaffe and corrected himself by saying, "the only way we can lose is if we leave before the job is done."

First John Kerry blurted out earlier this week that if you stay in school you can succeed; otherwise you end up in Iraq, which he said was meant to criticize the White House for its bungled planning of the occupation and which the White House and the RNC turned into Kerry bashing the troops, and now the President says what the majority of this country supposedly wants...for us to pull our troops out or Iraq, even though publicly he is saying we're staying the course (not changing our strategy but modifying our tactics).

Hmmm...maybe both the President and John Kerry should just stay home and chill for the next three days instead of "helping" the candidates of their parties in their Congressional races for hotly contested seats.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Dang Miulang...

You really hate GwB however, let some HT readers re-read this... before putting this thread off to a Miulang spewwing thread...please...!

This is some pretty big news....

Comment

Well, Mānoa, I agree with your Army Times article. And sadly, it doesn’t matter... because GwB has already said he’s keeping Rummy for the rest of his term. So what’s your point?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                  Well, Mānoa, I agree with your Army Times article. And sadly, it doesn’t matter... because GwB has already said he’s keeping Rummy for the rest of his term. So what’s your point?
                  The President had to say that he was keeping Rummy because he knew that the Military Times was publishing that editorial tomorrow.

Even though the Military Times publications are owned by a private corporation, they are the most widely distributed journals to all branches of the Armed Forces. And even though the editorial expresses the opinion of the publishers, I seriously doubt they would have written it if they weren't hearing from active duty people who were expressing concern about the progress of the occupation.

And more than likely, and based on what the Baker Commission report on Iraq indicates (it should be released sometime shortly after the election), I predict Rummy will be gone by the end of the year (possible scenario: the Democratic Congressional leadership approaches the White House and strikes this deal: let Rummy resign and we won't consider impeachment).

Given the anticipated change of power in Congress in the House of Representatives, which is the body that can initiate impeachment proceedings after the election, and the prospect of many Congressional probes into the handling of the Iraqi occupation, I don't think W. will have any choice but to accept Rummy's "resignation" this time (will the 3rd time be the charm?). And if active duty military officers express their dissent loudly enough, it would represent a kind of "silent coup"...the equivalent of a vote of "no confidence" in Rummy and his staff.

Miulang

Comment

As someone else has told you recently... go back and re-read the thread.

I mentioned what my question was... had you read... you would see that it still has not been responded to.

Comment

Today's big news --- Rumsfeld is out.

Comment

He maybe Keepy but that doesn't mean Rummy cant Runny.

Comment

Ding dong, Rummy's gone! That's the BEST news coming out of yesterday's election. The people have spoken and the Emperor must concede. Our allies are smiling.

Now we'll just wait for the other shoe (the Baker Report) to drop and then watch to see how "staying the course" becomes "changing the course".

Miulang

Comment

Now that Rummy has resigned under pressure, the real question is: what do we know about this new guy that Dubya has nominated to replace him?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Now that Rummy has resigned under pressure, the real question is: what do we know about this new guy that Dubya has nominated to replace him?
                              He's a Dubya family friend, for one thing. But his appointment also has to be confirmed by Congress, which because of the shift in power, I think will do a lot more due diligence at his confirmation hearings. I don't expect that Gates will have an easy time being confirmed, especially if the responses to questions he gets asked about Iraq are aligned more with the President's views than what the polls and the Baker Report say.

Miulang

Comment

I don't know about Gates, but I do know that Bush was insulting to the incoming Speaker of the House in his speech earlier today - just shows you that he can't even be a decent person at a point when he truly needs to reach out in a spirit of cooperation:
                                "And in my first act of bipartisan outreach since the election, I shared with (Congresswoman Pelosi) the names of some Republican interior decorators who can help her pick out the new drapes in her new offices." Sexist dickwad.

Oh, sorry...I'm sure it was just "a botched joke" --- just another piece of "a botched administration."

Comment

Working...
                                X