You ever get that feeling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You ever get that feeling?

So we've been getting the Honolulu Advisor delivered to our room every morning, and it's just been sort of piling up on the little bar area by the door. I was telling Jason that TG and I were thisclose to hiking Koko Crater today, but since I had slipped on some wet moss last week and the cut on my foot still hasn't scabbed over, shoes kind of hurt. After much debating, we decided not to.

Just a few minutes ago, he tosses today's paper at me. Front page headline: 2 HIKERS STABBED AT KOKO CRATER. I know it was yesterday, but it still gave me a little bit of chicken skin.

I'm sure most of you have read the story since it happened yesterday. Luckily, both victims are alive and the perp was caught. But there was no motive. Just some dude who stabbed two hikers in the middle of the afternoon with other people around.

Luckily, there were some awesome people who helped the victims. But the situation is very scary. I've just been kind of cavorting around the island, not being as careful as I could be. I'm not going to stop hiking, but it still made me think of how easily it could have happened to anyone.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Re: You ever get that feeling?

Fate can be a mysterious thing.

On the other hand, being ready for anything can be an elusive thing. But it doesn't have to be. Sometimes you just never know what might happen in the next moment. Often there are clues along the way that will give you proper warning if you know what to look for.

I have a friend who is a martial arts expert and is in law enforcement in Los Angeles. He's learned to spot trouble and made a mental game of dealing with a "what if" in real time. If he sees someone who might be a problem for whatever reason, he thinks about what he could do to "drop him" quickly.

He also said that when he worked in the LA County Jail, the bad guys said they'd pick out people who "looked like vics" or victims. People afraid of their surroundings have a certain look and these guys would zero-in on them knowing they'd be easy pickings. So walk like you belong. Don't go down the street staring at the sidewalk at your feet. Raise your head. And keep your eyes out. Leave the iPod at home and pay attention.

Having learned a lot from my cop friend, I picked up a vaguely similar habit and it's almost come to good use a couple of times. In one of those incidents I was confronted by someone I thought had a knife in his hand behind his back. After talking with him for several minutes I found out he was schizophrenic and off meds. We discussed his situation at length. Eventually he said he couldn't hang around much more and had to go. I bored him into submission.

If that hadn't worked, and if he so much as twitched his hidden right hand, I already planned to land a really stiff, straight blow in the middle of his face. Followed by as many piston-punches and kicks as possible in his face until he went down. The idea was to go into an unrelenting kamikaze attack in case he had a knife because I wasn't armed at all.

Anyway, making the mental switch from "I hope I'm not a victim" to "I'm not going to be a victim" helped. It allowed me the ability to stay calm, quickly assess the situation and, well, bore this guy out of his wits.

I'm not a big guy. Nor am I especially strong. But think about this: why is it that humans retreat when dogs attack? The dog is, at best, 1/2 the body weight of most adults and have only one weapon: teeth. Yet many adults are deathly afraid of dogs. It's because when they attack, they do so with total abandon and mean it.

If you ever find yourself in a situation where it's life-and-death, do the same. Go nuts. And mean it.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
      Just some dude who stabbed two hikers in the middle of the afternoon with other people around
      how unfortunate

I've just been kind of cavorting around the island, not being as careful as I could be.
      i've done the same since i've been here

I'm not going to stop hiking, but it still made me think of how easily it could have happened to anyone.
      and it shouldn't stop you
      stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
        If you ever find yourself in a situation where it's life-and-death, do the same. Go nuts. And mean it.
        I agree with you completely
        stay forever young

Comment

SG....sometimes "that feeling" is our intuition, 6th sense...or whatever you want to call it. I've had several situations where I "got that feeling" and made a change of plans only to find out that something disastrous was avoided because of my "feeling".

Comment

My "6th" sense would be telling me to go to the quacks (as in doctors), and have that cut on your foot looked at. Staph infections over here, if left untreated, can REALLY mess you up!!!!! Have it looked at, at least give it a thorough cleaning with hydrogen peroxide,, and treat it with some Neosporin ointment,,,,,,,, ono la'ki

Aloha and okolemaluna

Comment

Originally posted by Holonalu View Post
              My "6th" sense would be telling me to go to the quacks (as in doctors), and have that cut on your foot looked at. Staph infections over here, if left untreated, can REALLY mess you up!!!!! Have it looked at, at least give it a thorough cleaning with hydrogen peroxide,, and treat it with some Neosporin ointment,,,,,,,, ono la'ki

Aloha and okolemaluna
              Use Betadine or similar. It contains iodine which is a bacteriocide and virucide. It kills bacteria and viruses. Neosporin is a bacteriostat, which prevents bacteria from multiplying but might not kill what's there. Hydrogen peroxide helps to prevent the growth of anaerobic bacteria, a common cause of gangrene.

Betadine is what surgical nurses use to prep an area before surgery. Works great and it doesn't sting. It can stain your clothes, so be careful. But better a few stains now than having something amputated later.

Comment

I've gotten "that feeling" hundreds of times and went ahead and did it anyway. Nothing has ever happened.

Conversely, my uaifi and I were visiting the capitol of Costa Rica San Jose, a few years ago. We decided we would take a walk and look at the local architecture. We both thought it was going to be a fun day. Midway through our walk a deranged person (rasta mon from Jamaica) came up behind us and attacked us with a brick. I still have the scar on my hand from protecting both of us. We were rescued by several Ticos (local Costa Ricans).

Is that going to keep us from taking a walk in San Jose or hiking Koko Head in the future? Naaaaaah.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

We call it The Honolulu Advertiser. But we know what you meant.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                    heheheh...

you made me giggle. I haven't giggled foa a long time.

mahalo

lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I fully plan on continuing my cavorting. Can't live your life in fear. It's just nice to know that other people have those intuition-ish feelings also and I'm not "paranoid" as my husband always tells me. It's not like I have them all the time- only once in a great while. And yes- go nuts!! What do you have to lose if you're fighting for everything? Back at home, I'm an advocate for sexual assault victims and a lot of them will say they had bad feelings about going to a certain party or a person but went or went out with the person anyway. So I try to listen to mine, even at the expense of being called paranoid.

Gotta quit posting between taking the sleeping pill and when it kicks in!

My "6th" sense would be telling me to go to the quacks (as in doctors), and have that cut on your foot looked at
                      Oh, it's okay. I got a few others from the same fall and they're all fine now. This one is just on a bad spot, where my big toe "knuckle" bends, and my slippah strap rubs it. I've cleaned it well and have been treating it- it's just like having those cuts on your knee that take longer to heal b/c everytime you bend your knee they kind of re-open. But thanks for the advice!

Comment

The creator of The Family Guy, Seth MacFarlane missed his flight on America Airlines Flight 11 on 9/11 which was flown into the Twin Towers.

Comment

Gotta quit posting between taking the sleeping pill and when it kicks in!
                          Yeah - wait until it kicks in before you post; those posts are much more fun (especially the next day).

Comment

That would explain so many of Mike_Lowery's threads....

Comment

Yeah, I get that all the time. When I listen, it often does me good. Saved my life (and many others) a couple of times (in wartime conditions). Other times, just served as a warning to be alert.

FWIW, I watched the movie "The Celestine Prophecy" this morning, and even though I know the book and movie is a total fabrication, I know that a lot of the things they talk about are for real. There is perception beyond our five senses, for those able enough to connect.
                              Maybe it's not 100%, but then, what is?
                              Last edited by Kaonohi; February 5, 2009, 02:00 PM. Reason: schpelingk
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X