Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    There's a $50/mo pkg ($55.55 with taxes & fees), which is what I'll get:
    "Unlimited Talk & Text" includes...
    unlimited local calling
    unlimited nationwide long distance
    unlimited voicemail
    unlimited text messaging
    caller id | call waiting | 3-way calling
    Yep, Tutu, that's the package I got. I use every one of those features except the text messaging.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Mobile Broadband

I can't wait!!!
      Mobi's Hele broadband has a two week free trial period sooo...
      I'll get that on Feb. 1st and then get the three cell phones on the 15th.
      That way the bill will always be paid mid-month.

And Random. Mobi started out on Oahu without full coverage.
      But I haven't heard any complaints from anyone now.
      Hope it won't take too long for it to become usefull for you on Molokai.

I piggy-backed for a short while, on a neighbors unsecured wireless broadband, just to see my new HP pavilion actually go online. Yippee!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I have been using Hele for about a week and have zero complaints. Paid $189 for the device, will get the $50 rebate, have three months at $20, and then it will be $34 a month after that. Direct payment from my bank account.

I use it on my new EEEpc netbook. We are disengaging from RR, and have gotten a Clearwire account for the house. We're looking at discontinuing the TV cable, and will instead do downloads from Netflix, Hulu and Livestream (I think that's what it's called!). So far, Clearwire delivers with just a few digibumps here and there while watching. Tough economic times call for creative measures, and this is one for our ohana.

Hope you all are well. Will I see any of you tomorrow at Manoa Geeks? Straub Clinic, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Say hi if you see my fuzzy head.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The phone I currently have can be used with Mobi
          What service were you on? I'm curious to see what systems are compatible with Mobi.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          I just wanted the caller ID feature.
          Wow. I thought ALL "cell" plans had CallerID.

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          We are disengaging from RR, and have gotten a Clearwire account for the house. We're looking at discontinuing the TV cable, and will instead do downloads from Netflix, Hulu and Livestream (I think that's what it's called!).
          Hmmmm, I don't know as Clearwire is quick enough to support streaming video very well. Does it? If you're only going to use it at the house, why not go for DSL? I think it's less than CW and it supports a higher data rate.

Also, check the fine print very carefully. Some "unlimited" wireless accounts have a 2GB/mo cap.

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          Hope you all are well. Will I see any of you tomorrow at Manoa Geeks? Straub Clinic, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Say hi if you see my fuzzy head.
          Manoa Geeks?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            What service were you on? I'm curious to see what systems are compatible with Mobi.[...]
            Hawaiian Telcom. Mobi said they can unlock my phone. It's all greek to me!

Comment

Hawaiian Telcom.
              Hmmmm, now who is HawTel using? I don't think they have their own system.

Comment

Hmmmm, now who is HawTel using? I don't think they have their own system.
                I believe they are but I'm not 100%. I was told they were piggybacking on Verizon's system first but were migrating over to their own system.

Comment

I wouldn't mind getting Hele if the speed was faster. There are mobile broadband in other parts of the world with up to 20Mbps download speed. Even 7Mbps is quite common. They would have me hooked if they offered 4Mbps for $25/month. That shouldn't be a hard thing for them to do if they want the competitive advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
                    I believe they are but I'm not 100%. I was told they were piggybacking on Verizon's system first but were migrating over to their own system.
                    I thought I read somewhere that HT was using Sprint's Hawaii network ?
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                      I thought I read somewhere that HT was using Sprint's Hawaii network ?
                      I don't know if this will answer any questions or just create more but, briefly during last month's power outage, my HawTel cell phone was roaming on Verizon.

Comment

Sprint and Verizon use the same "format" (used to be called CDMA, not sure what it is now). So that lines up with the rumor that HawTel is a re-branded Sprint.

Don't remember for sure what the others use. Voice Stream -> T-Mobile is GSM. AT&T I think was TDMA, but they may have moved to GSM as well.

The thing is either your phone talks GSM or it talks CDMA. No way to change from one to the other. Different model/guts. But moving from one vendor to another that uses the same protocol is just programming.

Comment

Sprint and Verizon use the same "format" (used to be called CDMA, not sure what it is now). So that lines up with the rumor that HawTel is a re-branded Sprint.

Don't remember for sure what the others use. Voice Stream -> T-Mobile is GSM. AT&T I think was TDMA, but they may have moved to GSM as well.

The thing is either your phone talks GSM or it talks CDMA. No way to change from one to the other. Different model/guts. But moving from one vendor to another that uses the same protocol is just programming.
                          Yes: Sprint, Verizon, Mobi, Virgin, etc use the same technology just as T-Mobile, Alltel, AT&T and all European carriers use the same technology. However, since Sprint and Verizon use a technology not use elsewhere in the world they have come out with a phone that can roam on GSM.

Anyway, I'll check with my friends at HT and see if they now. I'll be back.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                            I can't wait!!!
                            Mobi's Hele broadband has a two week free trial period sooo...
                            I'll get that on Feb. 1st [...]
                            Hopefully you did that and hopefully you got the 2 week free trial. I signed up today and the free trial is now 1 week!

Moses at Mobi was kind enough to set up my laptop for me. I'm now in Waikiki and online with Hele. It's dropped the connection a couple of times so far. I'll keep an eye on that. Makaha will be the real test.

Comment

It's dropped the connection on me a couple times too. I'm near Iolani School.
                              And is noticeably slower than HawTel DSL.
                              Here's an online answer I've found.V
                              # I can connect to the internet, but my connection is slow, how can I speed it up?
                              On the USB modem you can use the dual USB port Y connector to increase power to the modem.
                              An external antenna can also be used.

Anyways...
                              Not quite as happy as I thought I'd be. The phones work well so far.
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                                [...]
                                On the USB modem you can use the dual USB port Y connector to increase power to the modem.
                                Is that the cable thingie that came in the same box as the modem?
                                Anyways...
                                Not quite as happy as I thought I'd be. The phones work well so far.
                                Mine has dropped the connection about 4 times so far. It was faster earlier today than it is tonight. I was told it works well with Skype video. I'll believe it when I see it!

It would be a really nice upgrade from dial-up but, so far, it's a downgrade from DSL. I'll give it the week, tho'.

Comment

Working...
                                X