Digital TV Over The Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OTA DTV Continuing 'Technical Difficulties'

No channel reception 9.1 all weekend long, c'mon. Also, noticed channel 2 seems to have discontinued OTA analog broadcast.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
      No channel reception 9.1 all weekend long, c'mon. Also, noticed channel 2 seems to have discontinued OTA analog broadcast.
      =======================
      ch 2 analog is temporarily down for repairs.
      I have not noticed any problem with 9.1 OTA. I am in Waipahu, near Walmart. Try rescanning your TV? These things get "Alzheimers" sometimes. They forget how to decode the channel data, then you gotta slap'em around to wake da buggah up again....figuratively speaking.

Comment

Here's the problem with re-scanning - not only did I lose recognition of 9.1 as a channel, but I also lost RF23.1 (which is channel 5 in DTV). So, not only did I not gain 9.1, but I lost '5.1'. On my other tuner, it previously recognized 9.1 as 22.1, but I still get no picture there. Maybe there's a directional issue involved.

P.S. - Oops, the antenna was moved when the window screens were cleaned. That seems to have caused my outage. I really need a new antenna.
        Last edited by salmoned; July 21, 2008, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
          =======================
          ch 2 analog is temporarily down for repairs.
          At this point the obvious question is WHY!?

94% of people on this island have cable/dbs and only 6 months til they shut it down anyway.

They should just file with the FCC to keep analog off for the stated reasons and turn in the license.
          Last edited by Ninja; July 21, 2008, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
            At this point the obvious question is WHY!?

94% of people on this island have cable/dbs and only 6 months til they shut it down anyway.
            Because the 4% of us are stubborn to keep OTA analog signal until then.

And if you so much as to arrogantly suggest we get cable or dish...
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

No I am not suggesting that you get cable/dbs.

I am only suggesting for Oahu where you can get KHON in digital.
              If you want to continue to receive KHON apply for the coupons and get a converter. You are going to need one anyway plus you will add the CW as well for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                No I am not suggesting that you get cable/dbs.

I am only suggesting for Oahu where you can get KHON in digital.
                They still need to transmit the analog signal to Maui's relay transmitter so that folks in the East End of Molokai, including Kaunakakai, can receive their KHON on Channel 7. They shut off that signal on Oahu, nothing will be received and bounce toward us.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Here's the problem with re-scanning - not only did I lose recognition of 9.1 as a channel, but I also lost RF23.1 (which is channel 5 in DTV). So, not only did I not gain 9.1, but I lost '5.1'. On my other tuner, it previously recognized 9.1 as 22.1, but I still get no picture there. Maybe there's a directional issue involved.

P.S. - Oops, the antenna was moved when the window screens were cleaned. That seems to have caused my outage. I really need a new antenna.
                  Well, it's all back now, so I guess it wasn't my antenna after all...

Comment

Still same channel 5 problem, still no 9.1 (I doubt it's my antenna, since I had reception before for months, now no reception for over a month), and now 13.1 displays channel programming for tomorrow instead of today (at least they starting displaying SOME info). Any hope for a time signal that matches among the channels?

Comment

Still same channel 5 problem, still no 9.1 (I doubt it's my antenna, since I had reception before for months, now no reception for over a month), and now 13.1 displays channel programming for tomorrow instead of today (at least they starting displaying SOME info). Any hope for a time signal that matches among the channels?
                      ==================
                      That is strange. What are you using for an antenna?

Comment

Rusty old rabbit ears, elevated to second floor ceiling level, parallel to window frame. 5.1 displays as RF23.1 (channel 5 is best analog reception, too), 13.1 displays date and schedule info for tomorrow, 9.1 no signal (listed as 22.1 on my recorder's tuner - still no signal). Full listing of current digital reception - 2.1, 2.2, 4.1, 4.2 (weather), 4.3 (no programming), 11.1, 11.2, 13.1, 13.2 (weather), 20.1, 23.1, 26.1-5, 32.1, 66.1-4.

Okay, I changed the orientation from horizontal to 45 degrees up and now receive the 9.1 signal (still shown as 22.1 for the other tuner), but lose 26.1-5, 32.1 and 66.1-4. Probably a fair trade-off. Still doesn't resolve the 23.1 and 13.1 issues, though.
                        Last edited by salmoned; August 26, 2008, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Rusty old rabbit ears, elevated to second floor ceiling level, parallel to window frame.

Okay, I changed the orientation from horizontal to 45 degrees up and now receive the 9.1 signal (still shown as 22.1 for the other tuner), but lose 26.1-5, 32.1 and 66.1-4. Probably a fair trade-off. Still doesn't resolve the 23.1 and 13.1 issues, though.
                          ====================
                          Oh silly me, I forgot to ask where you are...what area/neighborhood??
                          That makes a big difference.

Comment

Ewa Beach - all back to normal now, except for no program info for 23.1 and program info/time signal 1 day in the future for 13.1.

Comment

Re: KHNL Time Signal, SNL Blackout

Finally, KHNL has corrected their DTV time signal to today (from tomorrow). Hooray, now the integrated program guide can be used.

However, a blank signal was broadcasted (OTA) for the first 17 minutes of the Saturday Night Live program this last weekend! I was recording the program. First, the test pattern appeared for less than a minute, then nothing. The signal returned in the middle of the 'sisters' song skit. 17 minutes of nothing, yet I haven't heard an apology or recognition of the fact. The analog signal was unaffected.

Comment

Re: KHNL Time Signal, SNL Blackout

Eventually all the stations will get this OTA DTV stuff right. February is just around the corner and I have been told by an engineer at one station that OTA analog on the neighbor islands are going away soon.... like sometime this year. (moving Maui transmitters down the hill).....
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X